“It was great 20 years ago...better now”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Apache Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 226 Restaurants in Orange Park
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 18, 2013

In 1993 I attended a Navy training class at NAS JAX. As the senior member of the class, I challenged the local members of the class to come up with a list of good places to eat for the out of towners. The El Apache was on the list. It was great then.

I just relocated to Orange Park, and was pleased to find El Apache is still serving some of the best Mexican food I've ever encountered--and I grew up in Oklahoma. It's all fresh and the family who own the restaurant really know how to take care of customers.

The salsa is made fresh daily in the restaurant, and it is worth the price of admission on its own. (They will sell you a 16 oz. soda cup of the stuff to take home for $2.50, and it's a LOT better than anything you'll find on a grocery store shelf.)

2  Thank FairfaxBob

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Truely the best Mexican food in the Jacksonville area. An outstanding selection of entree's and ala carte, menu. Full bar service with huge Marquaritas! Casual atmosphere. Not like your local "chain" restuarants. Food is always hot and superb. No long wait times for your order. Staff is friendly, knowledgable, and courteous. "The" only place we go to eat, for Mexican food. The salsa and freshly made tortilla chips are tremendous.

1  Thank Ackro
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I tried this restaurant in the past and the service is consistently poor.(5 times in 10 years)but I haven't been in a few years and decided to give them a chance again.We decided to try this restaurant again because we had a gift cerificate for $10 off and they were supposedly under new management. I have not had a good experience yet and will not return. The 1st time we went the restaurant would not let us use the certificate. Saying he already rang it up and forgot the waitress had given it to him earlier. Food was fair and service was slow. He told us to come back again and use it next time. We did come back. It took over 30 minutes to take our order. We were getting ready to leave when they finally did. Drinks were served with very little ice and soon became ice less,. Drinks were never refilled. Food was marginally fair and service was extremely slow and not friendly. Prices seemed higher than other mexican restaurants .... the certificate didn't make a difference. When I can go to a mexican restaurant that has better prices, just as good or better tasting food, and definitely better service and friendlier wait staff. I eat out alot and this is the first time I siad I will not eat at this restaurant again. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
In summary:
Ist time 10 years ago ate there to try it out ....Food fair, Service sucked 2nd time about 7 years ago food fair service sucked
3rd time 5 years ago.. it was a holday and they were open and we were desperate.....Same result food fair service sucked Bonus (Manager apologized saying service was poor because his staff was hug over from partying too much on new years eve)
4th time last month Food fair service was slow but better than the past (maybe cecause we we the only ones there) but manager didn't accept certificate and told us to come back ended up having over $35 bill for two.
5th time Came back service really sucked and waitstaff had an attitude. Food was marginally fair. Will not return if they paid me.

1  Thank sspitzfaden
Reviewed July 9, 2012

El Apache is my favorite restaurant. The salsa is awesome, the entres unbeatable, and the service is always friendly. El Apache seems to be family run and I find the atmosphere very comfortable. I have never had a bad meal or poor service. If you have not been; you must give El Apache a try.

1  Thank usbrowns
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

It's a little more than La Nop but the owner really seems to care and is very friendly. Great place, not too crowded.

1  Thank James B