“Southern Charmer”

The Hilltop Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hilltop Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 217 Restaurants in Orange Park
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Hilltop offers a traditional American menu specializing in the finest steaks and the freshest seafood. We offer nightly entertainment in our piano bar as well as daily happy hour food and drink specials. Our office hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 10:00 am. We are available to give tours of the facility for those looking to book a venue for a party or event.
Jacksonville
“Southern Charmer”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This looks like an old southern Mansion set on top of a wooded hillside just south of I-295 in Orange Park/Jacksonville, Florida. Inside, it's dark wood, beautiful light fixtures, and dripping with charm. The glass walled Garden Room overlooks a pool filled with flowering water lillies and a huge fountain. The grand piano is in a lovely room with a long bar, all ready for the piano player that comes in on certain nights of the week. Lots more rooms available that make it feel like a Grand old home. The food is great also. Perfect place for a wedding, a special lunch or dinner, a girifriend get together or a very romantic dinner with your sweetie!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank JacksonvilleJoybelle

NJ
“quaint decor, dreadful everything else”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We went to Easter brunch here & opted for the last seating but I think we were the only ones. The place was emptying out when we arrived but despite the open tables we had to wait for several minutes to be seated. One we were seated no-one came to our table; we served ourselves sweet tea & coffee from the lackluster buffet. Many tables around us needed to be cleared. Looking at so many leftovers was unappealing.

While the place may have been busy earlier it was dead when we there. They did not refresh the buffet; many bowls & trays were at least half empty. Everything was cold. There wasn’t a single thing on the buffet that was fresh. The salads were all dark from being exposed to air all day. They had closed the omelet station before we arrived so even though it was advertised on the sign out front we were not able to partake. They served cheese chunks you can buy precut at any grocery store. The crackers were from the variety packs you buy in the store. The fruit medley was chunks of melon but no other fruits. The mini-quiches were the frozen heat & serve kind but were ice cold. I think the mashed potatoes and mac & cheese were from a box. The sliced ham looked canned with maraschino cherries dumped into the chaffing dish before it was run through a broiler hours earlier. I was afraid of the fish in a cream based sauce. The dirty rice had no flavor. The carving station of lamb and roast beef were probably OK earlier in the day but after sitting under the heat lamps for how knows how long the meats were overcooked. Even the desserts were bland. In fact, the cream puffs were the same kind you defrost from the grocery.

Brunch for 5 cost $200 and was the biggest rip off I have encountered in a long while. I felt so bad for the person who suggested this venue. She had been so excited to take us to what she had always heard was one of the nicest restaurants in town.

The Victorian style building itself & the grounds were lovely, except for the lily pond which was a disgusting algae green. Oddly, electrical power cords were sticking out of the water! Alas the bucolic gentile setting failed to make up for the tasteless uninspired grocery store meal and the lack of service.

I gave it less than the worst rating for families with children because they did give out plastic Easter eggs to the kids.

I would never return unless I was told that this property was under new management or had gone through one of those make-over shows on TV. It’s a shame because the venue was so picturesque and had somebody asked we may have purchased a bottle of champagne to share so the house lost money many ways.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank dalm0m
“Our Beautiful, February Wedding!!!!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had our wedding at the Hilltop and it was absolutely the best day of our lives!!! Everything was perfect and we all had a splendid time!!! I highly recommend them for any occasion!!! Great people, great food, great venue, and reasonably priced for all that they do!!! Thank you, guys!!! You made us feel very special!!!

2 Thank Rutlcc
Orange Park, Florida
“Not ideal”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Went there for a wedding and wasn't impressed with the moldy smelling reception room and dirty carpet.I felt sorry for the Couple that paid for the service which there wasn't any. The family took over the service and entertainment.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Did Not Measure Up”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had been to The Hilltop a few years ago and decided to go tonight for a late Valentine's Day dinner since it is a romantic setting. I had made a reservation, and when we arrived the hostess wanted to seat us at a small table that was in the corner and right behind the only other occupied table. It did not seem quite right given that the dining area was almost completely empty so I asked if we could sit somewhere else. The hostess seemed less than happy to accommodate us but she did seat us at a larger table. Take note: the on-line menu is not the current one so some of the items are no longer offered and the prices are higher on some items. When we asked about the discrepancy they said they had recently changed their menu and the on-line one would be updated soon. My dinner was really disappointing. My diet soda tasted awful: it was so bad I could hardly describe it. I switched to the unsweetened tea which was very weak. I had ordered the NY strip steak well-done and it was still pink inside, so I was able to sit and watch my husband eat his meal while mine was sent back and when mine finally reemerged he had the pleasure of doing the same. My husband had the Hilltop Combo, and while the prime rib was not cooked as ordered, he thought it was good and still ate it. He did enjoy the large, lemony shrimp that came with the combo. We both liked the bread, the small salads and the croutons on the Caesar were especially tasty. The service was, at best, marginal. When we were seated there was a dirty bread plate on our table so we gave it to a staff member and asked for a new one and he never returned. Our server was also not very attentive and we went for long periods of time without being checked on. Even after my steak was brought out for the second time he didn't stop by the table to make sure it was right. Additionally, the piano music was way too loud making it difficult for us to have a conversation and the dining room was very chilly; overall not very romantic. As an added bonus the seemingly unhappy hostess ignored us when we left. No kidding--it took 1 hour and 45 minutes from the time we walked in until we drove away and we only had entrees. I don't see us returning because the prices charged require better food and service.

• Visited February 2013