“Perfect for Navy family!”

Best Western Southside Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Orange Park
Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 days in April while visiting my boyfriend who is stationed at NAS Jax. It's one mile from base and the best deal by far! ~50/night so no complaints there. The room was clean and perfect for our needs. Bed was on the firmer side but actually ended up being comforrable (which is saying something since I'm basically the princess & the pea). Missed breakfast every morning so I cannot comment on it, but it'd be nice if it was extended to at least 10am. If you're looking for a clean, easy stay -- don't think twice, this place will do the job! :)

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Melissannk

Reviewed April 3, 2012

I am a little surprised to read how much people hated the hotel. I thought the breakfast offered had a large variety and was better than I expected considering how inexpensive the room was. The staff was really friendly and my room was clean. It's close to the base and there were quite a few military folks staying there. If you are looking for a clean place to stay at a low rate this place is great. It's not at all resort like but suits it's purpose and is a great value.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I have stayed here without complaint many times before but not recently. This was my first stay in a about 18 months. I woke up to get ready for work and noticed a 'tick-like' bug in the bedding. I managed to snag a few and put them in a cup. I took them down to the reception desk and the housekeeping manager took one look and said "Uh oh, that's not good. Those are bed bugs." Gee, do you think?

Travelers beware...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank floridatraveler369
Reviewed July 13, 2011

This hotel is wonderful, the entire hotel and grounds are amazing well kept and the breakfast is amazing far above most hotels with continental breakfasts. I have stayed here many times and plan to do the same in the near future. Close to major points of interest!! Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2011

After 7 horrible nights, I am finally leaving this dump! This has been the worst week in a hotel EVER!
Here's why:
1. bath tub would not drain and tv did not work upon arrival.
2. no pool towels at pool EVER. had to ask at reception, and wait 1-10 minutes for a towel.
3. key cards for room did not work 5 out of 7 days of our stay. this is totally unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!! each new receptionist would suggest that we were doing something wrong or that the door's magnetic battery was dead. not until 5 days into our stay did they correct the problem.
4. breakfast was totally disgusting! Almost inedible eggs. Extremely GREASY bacon and sausage.
5. monday: pool was filled with bees, flies and bugs. unsafe for my daughter to swim.
6. monday: housekeeping did not service room until I asked. front desk said it was too late. housekeeping manager serviced it.
7. rude front desk staff. their favorite thing to say, "i don't know." rude breakfast lady. she is always huffing around and never friendly, smiling, or helpful.
8. the only exceptional thing is the excellent housekeeping staff. our room was always serviced wonderfully.

I am totally dissatisfied with my stay. It was by far the worst week in a hotel in my entire life!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank angelacherip
Reviewed October 3, 2009

We stopped here on our way to orlando. This was one of the nastiest places we have ever stayed at. Upon seeing the room we asked for a different one, only to find out that it was the last room. It was late so we just stayed. The room actually had cobwebs in it. The tub had a clog which made showers quite exciting. The "free" breakfast was non-existant at 8am there was a piece of bread and a donut left. My advice to anyone thinking about stopping at this hotel is to drive on.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Intended to stay for 4 nights. When I first check in, there were ashes on the nightstand and the sheets & this is a non-smoking hotel. I changed rooms. My stay was just okay--many little 'annoying things' like curtains that did not close and were open several inches on the side--I had to prop a chair against it to keep it closed at night. Housekeeping was horrible--towels were not replaced and one day the room was not cleaned at all. A/C did not run well at night, no matter how low the thermostat was set--yet the hallway was nice and cool. Front doors did not auto-open when moving luggages, etc. The containers holding the eggs and sausages at breakfast was not clean at all. The mattress was the worst ever. With their threadbare sheets, you can feel every lump and button and it was hard as a rock. The walls are very thin and in my room, I could constantly hear water running through pipes when someone, somewhere flushed or bathed. It was pretty loud. After 2 days, I checked out and went to another nearby hotel, as I was sleepless there due to the matteras and the A/C issue. It was a good price for this hotel but not worth it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Stay Suites of America
#8 of 12 in Orange Park
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Jacksonville
Fairfield Inn Jacksonville Orange Park

Been to Best Western Southside Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!