“The best activity we had in Sabah!”
Review of Myne Resort

and 1 more site!
Myne Resort
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We spent 3 weeks packed with activities in Sabah with our 5 children but the 3 days spent here were the best out of all of them! Excellent food, helpful pleasant staff, plenty to see in the jungle.... could have happily spent a week here! Air conditioned rooms, clean white linen and towels in the midst of the jungle at a very reasonable price! My son loves fishing so we rented a fishing rod from the resort for only 6 MYR a day, which kept him very happy between river cruises and late into the night. We opted for the longest possible jungle trek and managed to spot a sleeping orangutan in the trees above. Would recommend it to everyone going to Sabah.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Mrs_Maxwell2014

Reviewed April 14, 2014

A two day stay on our Wildlife tour, and the best part of the tour. Our chalet was the nearest to the restaurant area, so we didn't have the stiff climb up, as others on our tour had. Food was fine, with them recognising we might like some European comforts such as chips.
The location is wonderful on the river with a lovely large outside area to sit and watch the passing scene. On our last morning the local Orang had located in a fig tree immediately opposite the resort.
We had several boat trips, the area is largely farmed with only strips of remaining forest along the river. Although bad for nature, it does make seeing the wildlife far easier from the boats. We saw a lot of Proboscis monkeys, Macaques and Langurs. We also had the boat and trek to the Oxbow lake, I don't think any of the group were too sure why this was considered to be something special!
If I ever go back to Borneo this would be my first choice for a few days.

Room Tip: Try to be near the restaurant, the further chalets are quite an up steps haul.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My family and I enjoyed our stay at the Myne Resort. Rooms were very spacious and comfortable and filled with character. We stayed in the chalets on stilts overlooking the river. The staff were extremely friendly and the food was tasty and plentiful. The boat trips from the resort were a highlight of our time in a Sabah.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank K B
Reviewed January 3, 2014

A wonderful place to stay for seeing rainforest wildlife. Myne resort is a small piece of home comfort and civilised living within the rainforest area. It is on its own on a riverbend (unlike some of the other resorts which are located close together) with a great view.

Its rooms are large and connected to the main area by walkways. The main area is spacious but simple but provides a dining area, pool table and somewhere to sit for drinks befor dinner, overlooking the river.

Its a lovely place to stay with children and offers a mix of rainforest excitement with home comforts. We were visited by a snake and family of wild boar and ate fish fresh from the croc-invesfested river below. All this in gentile surrondings with delicious basic food and drinks and polite and attentive service.

As ever, best to choose what time of year to visit for viewing wildlife. There were heaps of proboscis monkeys, makak, wild boar and birds but no pygmy elephants. Also urang utan sightings in the wild are rare and the crocs almost impossible to see.

Room Tip: Lower numbered rooms are closer to the main resort area - the higher the number the more climbing up...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Paul W
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My wife and I are retired English science teachers. We stayed at Myne for two days having previously been at Sepilok and later at Tabin. Myne was undoubtedly our favourite resort and we have vowed to return soon, perhaps on a stopover the next time we visit our family in Australia.
As we arrived we were greeted by an excited Cynthia (the manager) who ushered us down to the jetty to view a large crocodile which was basking on a mudbank about 200 metres away. She offered us a quick boat ride to get close so I grabbed my camera and was soon filling the frame with a monster 4 metre beast. It ended the session when it slid into the water and swam under the boat. Pause for reflection and checking of life jackets!
The resort was wonderfully placed right on the banks of the Kinabatangan River. (Don't take any notice of the Google Earth pin that has it seemingly at some distance from the water.) Trees and bushes lined the banks and I was soon wandering through them photographing the fabulous Clipper butterflies, as big as birds which sailed around in large numbers. I also got some great photos of two beautiful flowerpeckers - scarlet backed and orange bellied. I was liking this place already and had only been there a few minutes!
We settled into our room which was a wooden chalet with a spacious room with ceiling fan and air-con as well as an en-suite shower room and a balcony. We were very comfortable. Lunch was served in an open air restaurant, again with fans so that you never felt hot when dining. The usual manner of presentation was buffet style from a range of heated containers. The food was Malaysian cuisine and all very tasty and well prepared. We never had any complaint about breakfasts, lunches or dinners. There was plenty of choice and availability. For the health conscious there were always salads and fresh fruit and the fresh juices were superb.
In the evening we went on a boat trip lasting about two hours. We were amazed at the variety of wildlife we saw and which I was able to photograph from the relative stability of the boat. I use a 150-500 zoom lens and had no trouble getting good quality shots, some of which I present here. The evening was the best time for primates and on that first trip I saw silver leaf monkeys, pig tailed macaques, long tailed macaques, loads of proboscis monkeys and several wild orang utans. We saw monitor lizards, a reticulated python and a yellow banded mangrove snake. I was able to lean back in my seat and cradle my camera to take some very steady shots, in spite of the fading light. The birds were equally dazzling and by the end of my stay I had seen four species of eagle and 4 of hornbill, two kingfishers, four herons and egrets, the rare Storm's stork, brahminy kites etc etc etc! Wow I was amassing a huge editing job for when I got home (I love it really!).
At this stage I should confess that I am disabled, being a lower right leg amputee and whereas I can't walk that far in rough terrain, this boat-based photo safari method of getting to the wildlife was better than I had ever imagined. I should add that the guides are also extremely knowledgeable and helpful and so friendly and possessed of bionic vision of the like which makes you think that the birds must be planted beforehand. Honestly, their visual acuity is so pronounced as to be almost impossible! Time and again we marvelled at how the guy could possibly see that tiny bird sitting still in that huge, thick tree so far away! At night they used laser pointers to show you where the targets were sitting. In our two days we went out twice more, the next was in morning at dawn which was a different experience which started in mist but the quality of the light an hour or so later was fantastic. In general, the evening was best for primates and the morning for birds.
On our second evening we opted for the short drive to see the Gomantong caves where David Attenborough had made his famous film about bats and cockroaches and giant centipedes and snakes and ammonia! It was as he had painted it but it was such a thrill to experience it first hand. For me the highlight was to emerge from the cave just as the light was fading and watch the millions upon millions of bats pouring out of an opening and out across the sky in a never-ending, undulating wave harassed by bat hawks and swooping brahminy kites.
We booked our tour with the Travel Trading Company/Borneo Travel and our appointed guide was Maik Miki who stayed with us throughout the week, picking us up from the airport and delivering us back at the end. He was our constant companion and was great company being knowledgeable, and with a good sense of humour. We can recommend this company and the Myne Resort without any reservations.

Room Tip: Ask for one as close as possible to the central hub/dining area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Tarkajay
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We spent 2 days at Myne resort, with the intention of going on as many river safaris as possible- wildlife being of interest to us. The resort, though not very new, is more than adequate, with spacious mock log cabin rooms. It is also the largest resort on the river. The food was excellent, and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable.
The guide himself did everything in his power to accommodate every single request (ask for Patrick when you go), even going so far as to extend our safari times to give us a better chance at sightings. And it paid off! We managed to see the Pygmy elephant, Proboscis monkeys, Silver Leaf monkeys, Orangutans and various hornbills, including the Rhinoceros Hornbill.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the dining area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Insiyah V
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Myne Resort was awesome! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The staff was amazing and very friendly and attentive. The buffet was terrific, a lot of choices and they were all yummy. The wildlife was prolific and we did manage to see the Borneo Pygmy elephant so that was great! The river cruises were a nice change from driving or walking. We also did the night cruise which was a unique experience. The rooms were HUGE and there was a lovely balcony with chairs so we could sit outside, watch the river, and relax. They even had safety deposit boxes in the room which was a bonus.

Room Tip: The double-digit numbered chalets are direct riverview while the single-digit chalets overlook the o...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Bilit Rainforest Lodge
Bilit Rainforest Lodge
#1 of 3 in Kota Kinabatangan
Borneo Natural Sukau Bilit Resort
Borneo Natural Sukau Bilit Resor...
#2 of 3 in Kota Kinabatangan
Sukau Greenview Bed & Breakfast
Kinabatangan Jungle Camp
Borneo Nature Lodge
Borneo Nature Lodge
#7 of 29 in Sandakan

Been to Myne Resort? Share your experiences!