“Worst experiance I have had at an Historic Inn”
Review of 1876 Heritage Inn

1876 Heritage Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Orange City B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have stayed at quite a few Historic Inn and this is the worst one I have ever been in. We booked a two bed room with a tub/shower. I need the tub for my arthritis...when we got there they told us they did not have a two bed room with a tub. We stayed because we had traveled quite a ways and did not feel like traveling more. The linens on the bed were miss matched sheets that felt as if they were not rinsed properly and were very rouch and itchiy. The pillow had not structure to them and also felt old aans shabby. Also they said Sat . might was Jazz night...We love good jazz and were looking forward to it .But what we got was a heavy rock bad that played so loud we could barely hear in our room. After asking the owner to please have them turn down the music we were told if we did not like it leave!!!! Which we did af. We got 1 nights fee back but wer had to pack and find another place to stay at 9:00 at night.... The sowners seem to care more for the 1 person that was in the lounge then in their Inn guests ....NOT FOR SENIOR

Room Tip: Go across the street to the Quality Inn Neat clean personable staff and less money for better room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I've admired this stately building for some time for its historical significance but only recently visited with my wife for dinner in one of their resturants. Very laid back, relaxing and polite service. The prime rib we'd come for was sold out but the ribeye I had instead was very impressive. There was entertainment that evening which featured a local couple and their singing and music added to the atmosphere. We'll probably revisit the 1876 Heritage Inn again sometime for another dinner. Next time, we'll come earlier in the evening before their prime rib is sold out. That's what the chef suggested, especially on a weekend. It's nice to see how this establishment is being restored and available for folks to experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Within minutes of everythng you could possibly need in and near Orange City and Deltona. Good price for an extended stay but all ammenities are on you. It has a cafe with good food but not complimentary breakfast. I was able to get two rooms on an emergency during Bike Week 2013.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked the Inn for the Florida Motor Maids, the first all women motorcycle club started in 1940. The new owners have done an amazing job restoring this vintage inn and went out of their way to accomodate our group. The Red Roof Cafe has two rooms, allowing our group to have a room all to ourselves enjoying the delicious food including the prime rib special on Saturday night. We were able to use the banquet room for a group presentation. They even marked off space in the parking lot for our motorcycles. I highly recommend this inn especially for group events. Ignore all the negative comments, the former owner is gone.

Room Tip: we prefer the downstairs rooms which are like bed and breakfast rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Ridiculous does NOT even begin to describe most of their policies. Probably the most annoying is the 'warden/prisoner' mentality. I have NEVER stayed at a hotel, or motel <back in my younger days> where as a guest, I was responsible for counting and auditing every item in my room. EVERY item. From the towels, washcloths, flower arrangements, pictures, furniture, sheets, curtains, even the hangers. If I didn't report something as missing or damaged, we were responsible for it. So yes, you're pretty much 'forced' to do the audit. I felt like we were "guilty" right up front for something we had no idea we'd committed. Did they seriously think one of their guests would walk out with the entire bedroom set? Seriously?

I can only assume the room must have stunk to high heaven. A small one bedroom/bath with a very tiny living room saturated by 4 air-fresheners. The room was so extremely stinky sweet we couldn't get out of there fast enough for fresh air and kayaking. Before leaving for Blue Springs, we unplugged all the air-fresheners, thinking anything would be better then coming back to all that sweetness. We were wrong. The true odors came out, musty, moldy and the ever lingering smells of cigarette smoke. All their rooms are supposed to be non-smoking, yah right. My husband smokes so I'm not opposed to it, but he had the decency to do as requested and smoke out side. I'm surprised they didn't try to call foul when we checked out and try to ding us on the odiferous odors.

When you check out, they request you return the 2 door keys for two reasons. One, you'll be charged $20 if you don't, also, so they can do a walk through of your room before you leave. We had to sit around waiting for her to walk our room and another guests room. Uh. That's 20 minutes of my time I'll never get back just to be patted on the head and told what we already knew, we were great guests. Granted, it's also the last time we'll be great guests at this particular hotel. First and last visit, for us.

We went with the bed and breakfast package for $100, which came with a $20 breakfast certificate at the attached restaurant, Red Roof Cafe. The breakfast was 'meh' at best. Fair warning, max out the certificate on breakfast, husband and I totaled out at $14 and wanted to offer the remaining $6 towards the tip. No can do. They just keep what you don't use and tip is separate. So we gave her the tip money in cash and just called it done.

Two positives about the place, the history that comes with all the Post Office Memorabilia was interesting to peruse thru. Second, the Prime Rib Special for $10.95 on Saturday night was amazing [Red Roof Cafe]. I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious it was, probably one of the top 3 in my life time. To look at the restaurant you would not expect that type of quality or quantity, beyond huge. My husband finished the other half for me and also agreed. Excellent.

I hope it's not a fluke because we'll be back to Blue Springs for more Kayaking and I'll be sure to make it a Saturday, Prime Rib night. However, we will NOT be staying at the 1876 Heritage on our return.

Room Tip: Best tip I can give is find anohther hotel - maybe in a nearby city, maybe Deltona or Daytona Beach.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leilani G
Reviewed July 31, 2012

im with brandon on this 1,they treated me like i was an escaped criminal,sayin they were gona find out if i was wanted by the law,gave me a room with the tv broken n the fridge wasnt plugged in so it tiook 4ever to get a cold beer,had to smoke outside,had 2 sets of 2 keys,had 2 go thru 3 doors to get into room,really noisy at night from door slamin,had wifi tho,i wouldnt let a dead goat stay there but that mite improve the smell,ill sleep under the stars b4 i ever go there again,thanx 4 nuthin,oh n i had 2 clean my room b4 i left,they should hire ppl that no how 2 clean,worse experience ever,if they had a pool i wudda drown myself to keep from stayin another nite

Room Tip: stay somwhere else like down the rd a couple blocks at orange city motel.good deal there n great ppl
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank moon s
Reviewed February 27, 2012

The Heritage Inn is a beautiful, vintage hotel. Me and my significant other are currently staying here, and for the most part, we love it. There are however many restrictions, and as the guy under me just said, Amy (the manager) is ruthlessly strict about what times your not allowed to do this or that, and tosses people out at a whim. The food from the Red Roof Cafe (built-in diner) is amazing, and reasonably priced. Stay here, if not for the beauty, the food. Just beware of the warden.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the bottom floor. They're much better.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Days Inn Orange City/Deland
#3 of 5 in Orange City
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orange
Alling House Bed and Breakfast

Been to 1876 Heritage Inn? Share your experiences!