“Excellent meal in pleasant surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Durham Ox

Durham Ox
Ranked #1 of 88 Restaurants in Ilkeston
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Durham Ox is the oldest inn in Ilkeston dating from 1780 with later Victorian editions. The property is steeped in history having once been used as the town gaol with secret passages taking the prisoners from the cells in the cellars up to the Church in the market place where they were tried for their crimes.A major scheme of renovation and restoration this year has returned the pub back to its origins and created a quiet relaxing haven in which to unwind and enjoy a drink or a home cooked meal....or both
Nottingham
“Excellent meal in pleasant surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Four of us visited the Durham Ox yesterday as part of our 40th wedding anniversary celebrations. It was our first visit there as a restaurant. My husband and brother in law had been many years ago when it was a public house. It has, I suspect, changed beyond all recognition since then!
We were greeted in a friendly, welcoming way and shown quickly to our table, -'the horseshoe'
We were quickly served with drinks by excellent, welcoming staff giving us time to muse over the well thought out menu. The menu was not too long and had a good selection of dishes for both meat eaters and vegetarians.
The starters were well presented and very tasty. I can reccommend the mushrooms in a cream sauce - it was delicious!
The main courses were equally as well presented and tasty. The chicken in a Madiera sauce was wonderful - the chicken cooked to perfection.The steak and ale pie was delicious and the t-bone pork chop was succulent. The gammon was also very tasty.
The vegetables were properly cooked - not swimming in water and colourless -[WELL DONE!! at last - someone who knows how to cook vegetables!!]

My pudding - elderflower presse and prosecco jelly with summer berries - was a triumph I would say - but all my companions felt the same about their choices!.
We all felt is was a memorable evening, made special by excellent staff, good service and very good food.

If you are not familiar with Ilkeston, it may be a bit of a challenge to find the Durham Ox. Don't be put off! The parking is free after 6pm and the experience well worth the journey.

Keep up the good work Durham Ox!!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“On this occasion ...... Disappointed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was my 5th visit to the Durham Ox and on every other occasion it has been great. The food is normally superb. Unfortunately on this occasion my main meal of salmon pasta in a white wine aJnd lemon sauce, was not pleasant. I let the other 5 people in my party try it, and they all agreed with me, and I informed th waitress that I couldnt eat it.i found the sauce very vinegary.The waitress was very polite and took it away and bought a dish back for me afew minutes later. Unfortunately, the second dish tasted exactly the same( only piping hot). I sent the 2nd dish back. By this time, all the other members of my party had finished their meals( all really enjoyed theirs,they all had steak.) I informed the waitress that I didnt want a main course because I didn't want to be eating it while the others had finished. She was very pleasant, and informed me that I wouldn't be charged for my main course and could she offer me a pudding free of charge.i accepted and the pudding was lovely. I still had a nice evening and I wouldn't let this one occasion put me off going to the Durham Ox again.,but I wouldn't choose the salmon and pasta dish again( which is a shame as pasta and salmon are 2 of my favourite foods)

Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have been trying to visit the Durham Ox for some time but visits to Ilkeston have always been on days when they are not open . Eventually last Sunday was the day. Having lived in Ilkeston for 21 years of my life I was not sure what to expect . The Durham Ox was far from a quality eating establishment back in the 60's and 70's. What a great experience awaited us on Sunday . Great surroundings , great food and very helpful and pleasant staff. An establishment to put Ilkeston on the foodies map . Not only that, the cask ale was excellent. Well done keep it up!!!

Derby, United Kingdom
“A first class meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Having been in the Durham Ox years ago, I was a bit apprehensive to go for a meal here. However, following recommendations by friends, we decided to give it a go. From start to finish, the meal and the service we received was excellent. The staff are very friendly and treat you as individuals, and you feel quite pampered. The food selection is great, and the quality of the food, was superb, with each course looking a delight as well. The ambience was great, and it was clear to see that all of their other customers were being treated just as well as us.
If you're looking for a meal that's really something special, I would certainly recommend the Durham Ox. I have been so pleased to see their popularity increase recently, because it is so well deserved.
We will certainly be returnng again as soon as we can.

• Visited March 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent, First Class Food & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We visited the Durham Ox on Sunday 18th August, this was our first visit and certainly will not be the last. The food was superb well worth the money, the staff were friendly and very helpful, what an excellent find.