“Spirited staff but lacklustre property”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tampa Northwest - Oldsmar
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oldsmar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edmonton, CANADA
“Spirited staff but lacklustre property”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

A colleague and I spent three nights at HIE and the experience was a mixed bag. Positives were exceptionally friendly and efficient front desk staff, comfortable bed and excellent walking proximity to good restaurants.
Negatives: 1. Poor room cleaning logistics, or severely understaffed? We checked in on a Thursday at 6 p.m. and our rooms were still not ready until nearly 7 p.m.. On all three days after that the housekeeper appeared to refresh my room between 3 and 4 p.m. --very annoying if you're working in the room, or trying to take a nap. Surely this could be done earlier in the day.

2. Every morning about 6 a.m. the smell of cooking bacon started to permeate my room. Obviously my second floor room was directly above the kitchen. The first day it was sort of pleasant --a wake up call for breakfast --but was downright annoying by the third day. Better kitchen ventilation required.
3. The breakfast area is too small. Two of three mornings no tables were available and guests were eating on reception sofas, plates on their laps. Pretty tacky for a facility that demands $150 and up per night on weekends.
Overall, I got the sense that staff were trying valiantly to maintain quality standards, but some unknown constraints of the building or budget must have been thwarting their efforts. In a competitive market like Tampa Bay area, that just won't do for long.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ron N
Cindy D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tampa Northwest - Oldsmar, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfortable bed, convenient location and the front desk service you and your colleague received during your three day stay.

1) I can assure you that we are fully staffed during our peak season. Unfortunately due to an injury a housekeeper sustained and some other unforeseeable circumstances we were short during your visit. This is not the norm at our hotel.
2) The owners have already met with an HVAC company to install new filters that will eliminate the bacon smell from our breakfast area. I have not heard of any issues in the two years that I have been at this property until this past week. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention.
3) Our breakfast area seats twenty-four guests with overflow seating both in our lobby as well as our Cypress Ballroom. On a full night we serve approximately 160 guests in four hours. Yes, our rates are based on demand and our hotel is extremely popular on the weekends. The average rates in the Oldsmar market during high season will range from $179.00-$249.00 per night.

Thank you again for choosing out Holiday Inn Express & Suites.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Moorestown, New Jersey
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Monique, Helen, & Caleb were so helpful with all our needs. We are in our 70 s so the help was so appreciated. The room & breakfast were the best. We will be back when we come south again. New Jersey is our home. Thank you for making us feel like we were safe & could turn to you at any time. Stopped on our way to Marco Island.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Elizabeth,

I am so glad that you chose our Holiday Inn Express & Suites as your “home away from home” on your way to Marco Island. I will be certain to share your kind words with Monique, Helen and Caleb. Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to your next visit!
Aurora, Ohio
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed at this hotel several years ago and returned this year to an updated and very nice facility. It was very top notch several years ago and I was very surprised to see an updated lobby, computer area and breakfast area. This tells me that they care about their clients and their comfort with not only great staff but upkeep on the hotel itself. I don't think that I have met a more helpful, friendly, dedicated staff at any hotels/motels that I have visited. Even their housekeeping staff was on board, with a friendly good morning, how are you?. I will be back next year.

Room Tip: King Suite - a few more dollars for a great room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank quest44087
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Holiday Inn Express brand and for choosing our property when you are in town. I am happy to hear that you noticed all of our renovations as well as our friendly staff. We look forward to seeing you next year!
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Found two pairs of underwear in the room when we arrived: not cool.

Breakfast area too small for all diners. Bacon smell from breakfast area permeated room at 5am. Request a room higher than second floor to avoid this. Decent bagels on b'fast bar, though.

It's a Holiday Inn. What do you expect?

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. However, we are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations specifically with the cleanliness of the room accommodations received. Although this matter has been addressed in a timely manner, we regret that this experience has negatively impacted your stay with us.

The hotel owners are currently in contact with an HVAC company to obtain a special filter to resolve the bacon odor that you encountered during your stay. We will definitely utilize your comments to improve our services for future guests. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband became ill on the plane as we traveled to Tampa, and we arrived at the hotel needing medical care. Monique contacted 911 and within minutes the EMTs arrived -- then transported my husband by ambulance to a nearby hospital. Through all of this, Monique, at the front desk, and the rest of the staff were attentive to our needs and very thoughtful. The hospital was able to stabilize my husband and released us after 4 or 5 hours. We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, and everything was terrific -- complimentary full breakfast, very clean room and bathroom with lots of towels. Throughout our stay the staff asked after my husband's health (vastly improved) and made their shuttle available for me to get some misc. supplies from a nearby grocery store. If I am ever in Tampa again, I will make sure to stay at this hotel -- and tell my friends as well. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cindy D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tampa Northwest - Oldsmar, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I am so happy to hear that Monique was able to quickly assist your husband during his medical emergency. Monique is truly an asset to our team. I will be sure to share your wonderful comments with her. We hope to see you both again on your next visit to Tampa Bay!
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed in the executive suite and it was well appointed and very clean. The value was excellent and the price was less than 2 regular rooms in tampa. The area was past all the congested areas of tampa which made it easy to run out for a bite. The staff was very quick and they were friendly. This hotel was quiet and only had 4 floors so there was no problem waiting for elevators. I would definately stay there again, and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for giving our Holiday Inn Express & Suites a five star review. We appreciate your recommendation to our future travelers. See you again on your next visit to Tampa Bay!
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We had a flood in our home caused by a ruptured water pipe under the laundry room floor. The insurance company needed us to leave. We found the Holliday Inn Express Tampa Northwest-Oldsmar. We where presently surprised from the moment we checked in. The older gentleman came to help my wife load all of our luggage on to the cart and bring it up to our room. I am handicapped and unable to carry anything. We had booked the accessible mini suite, due to my un ability to use a shower in a bath tub. We walked into the room and the first thing I noticed was the tub. They found a shower chair that made it possible for me to shower safely within ten minutes. I have two walkers to help me get around. The heavy one with the seat is too heavy for me to get in and out of my car. Helen the staff member who works the desk, went above and beyond to help me with my walkers. After I had been out to dialysis, she would look for my car to pull in the parking lot, and hurry out with my more stable walker and help me into the hotel. Helen didn't only do this once, she did it every day we where here, which was over a week. In closing I can't say enough about the staff and the Hotel.

Patrick Whitehead Room 303

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Patrick,

Thank for choosing our hotel while your home was undergoing repairs. I believe Mareck was the one who assisted you with your luggage. I will be sure to share your kind comments with him as well as Helen. We appreciate your positive feedback!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldsmar
Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa Northwest Oldsmar
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Northwest / Oldsmar
Courtyard Tampa Oldsmar
Residence Inn Tampa Oldsmar
Hampton Inn & Suites Tarpon Springs
VISTA Hotel on Lake Tarpon
VISTA Hotel on Lake Tarpon
#2 of 3 in Palm Harbor

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tampa Northwest - Oldsmar? Share your experiences!