“Personal experience of a warm, pleasant and an enjoyable stay, repeatedly.”

Suwannee Gables Motel and Marina
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Old Town
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Review:
I am relaying here my first hand experience. The first and immediate impression was of the frontage with its manicured and cared for appearance. It propelled me to check the motel out. The second impression was the owners themselves - Warm, affable, personable and with the attitude, ingrained with unpretentious customer service. Just warm, beautiful people.
I got to see the various room combinations. The rooms themselves were clean, odor free with ample freshness. Peaceful, comfortable and well equipped. Not overly grandeur but definitely cozy and welcoming. Just what one would want when out on a vacation, a tour or a fleeting visit.
Besides, the motel has a sizeable swimming pool that is very well cared for. The real surprise element was the view at the rear of the motel. Completely unexpected! The rear area has a vast lawn where a host of activities can be performed and just beyond the grounds, there is the river Suwannee flowing right by the motel. The view is truly beautiful. The river itself is wide and long and you can see the river bank on the opposite side. Peaceful, green and lush with that calm soothing sound of the river flowing! The motel is also equipped with boating facility. I have been a repeat visitor to this homely motel that has some real treats in store. You want to enjoy and want to be treated right? This is definitely the place. I just love it.

Room Tip: I have lived in more than one type of room and have always had a uniformly, pleasant experience. The...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank y s

Reviewed January 30, 2012

The owner was very friendly and check in was quick and easy. The room is older but has everything you need- bring your own hairdryer or really just relax and don't bother. We enjoyed hanging down by the river. We saw otters on the shore and mullet jumping. We had friendly cats hanging around to keep us company and they were well cared for- no fleas and weren't skinny.
This is not a luxury inn, but it will give you a feel of old Florida. It would be great if they could update some things and maybe they would have more business.
The bar/restaurant across was nice, clean and friendly people working there. Caught the play off games. It was a good evening.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank swmom
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Didn't want to stay in Perry or Chiefland so decided to give it a try. Room was clean and everything worked well. I paid a little more than the others in the area, but it was worth it.
I will stay again. The owner thanked me for my business and I felt welcomed to stay there.
The motel is safe quiet and everything was working.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank B e
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We needed a room for a night the weekend before Thanksgiving. I selected the Suwannee Gables Motel because I had stayed there in the 80's while on a family trip.

I reserved the room by phone in advance- very efficient process. Upon arrival, registration went smoothly with friendly customer service. The owner was very happy to tell us about the good places to eat the area. The outside definitely needs some TLC- paint mostly. This is an older roadside hotel from the days before the interstate when Hwy 19 was a "major" Florida highway. The small outside pool approximately 15 ft x 30 ft was empty of water. Not sure if this is due to being off-season (November) or an actual problem with the pool. I suggest you ask about the pool when you make your reservation if it is important to you. The highway is busy during the daytime and the road noise can be heard in the room. No vehicle noise problem noticed during the night since this hotel is located in rural Florida where they roll up the sidewalks early and the road quiets down at night. The parking area was clean and well-lit. The property is shaded by large oak trees but the landscaping is not something to write home about.

The room had recently been repainted with new carpet and bedding including mattress. The mattress was suprisingly comfortable. The room had no musty smell and no bugs. The furniture, including a small table with two chairs, two bedside tables and a small desk, was older and made from particle board -- worn but functional. The small refridgerator and microwave were new, clean and worked well. A coffee pot is available in room -- bring your own coffee. There was also coffee (not Starbucks) available in the lobby early in the morning for those of you who must have your morning "fix". There is a small restaurant across the highway that serves an adequate basic breakfast and has coffee available as well.

The bathroom still has the pink and black art-deco tile that is probably original to the building. Some wear including a few cracks. But, it was clean with a nice shower head. It took a little while to get the hot water flowing. The towels were clean and served the purpose- softer than expected.

The dock does need a lot of work. I would not walk out on it due to broken supports and missing pieces. Unfortunate!!! This needs to be the next repair project the owners take on. I cannot comment on the boat ramp as I did not look at it. However, there is an excellent ramp just a few miles up the road across from Fanning Springs.

Overall, acceptable but, probably a little overpriced when compared to newer facilities. It does have the advantage of being located on the river. We were able to walk out to the bulkhead and watched the sun come up over the river. You cannot do that at the Best Western in Chiefland.

I would love to see the dock repaired and made safe for use. There are few things better than water fun on the Suwannee River.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LARoss_31320
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We always love to stay at the Suwannee Gables Motel and Marina when we come up for our yearly river trips.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank SunStyleFla
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Though it may not be much to look at from the outside, things look up instantly upon being welcomed by the owners and management.
The rooms are clean and comfortable.
What's most impressive is the view from the rooms. There's a waterfront view, with a nice breeze coming off of it.
I'll definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Brinacsu
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here because we wanted to spend 3 days exploring the Suwannee River. We wanted a motel with a launching ramp for our 16 foot power boat. This is pretty much the only place meeting that description. Old Town, near Chiefland in Levy county, Florida, is a small, rural town. This motel is vintage 1950. Small pool out front between the motel and highway 19. Remember? When we were kids this was THE coolest place! From the outside, I would not stop here even if the next motel option was 2 hours away. But it met our riverfront requirements. Inside, the rooms were CLEAN, tidy, had 3 chairs, a bureau, a desk, a table, a TV w/ remote, window-style A/C, decent shower, enough towels. Beds were actually comfy and pillows were fine. I - surprisingly - slept just fine here. The owners are VERY good people, very sweet, hardworking and trying to keep up the property. I have to say their launching ramp was dodgy and needs to be their next fix-up project. But as it turned out we used other ramps along the river, too - not because this one was bad but just for convenience of where we wanted to go on the river. So, the folks here who are saying this place is disgusting, run down, whatever, giving it a bad review, please note - the rooms are fine. The property needs work but the rooms are fine. Another note, if you are a wine drinker, and travel to north Florida, be sure to bring your own wine. It's not the favored adult beverage and many restaurants and some liquor stores do not carry it. The motel also has free WiFi but we had to sit in the lobby to use it or on the porch outside close to the lobby. Rooms with fridge, microwave and coffee maker are available but not in all rooms. At $87 per night, I thought it was a little overpriced - would have felt better with a $65 rate - but again, these are hard working people trying to keep it together. I cannot begrudge them trying to make a mortgage payment.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
#2 of 2 in Chiefland
Putnam Lodge Hotel & Spa
Putnam Lodge Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Cross City

Been to Suwannee Gables Motel and Marina? Share your experiences!