“Best baked goods” 5 of 5 bubbles

Nutmeg's Cafe
Ranked #2 of 4 Dessert in Okeechobee
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Nutmeg's a a unique cafe with a variety of sandwiches and salads. Everyday we offer a different selection of homemade quiches, soups, desserts and 8 flavors of gourmet "Working Cow Homemade Ice Cream. We are open Monday - Friday 10:30 am-6pm & Saturday & Sunday 11am to 3pm. We are available for private bridal showers, baby showers and birthday parties during our off hours. Along with our baked goods that we do for the cafe we also are well known for our specialty cupcakes and cakeballs as well.
Okeechobee, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best baked goods”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Love this place. If you want the most unique sandwiches and homemade soups this is the place to go. Food is all homemade and delicious.

Visited April 2014

London
“Great lunch stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stopped here for lunch on our way to the Everglades as we're not a fan of chain restaurants and prefer to try out local places. We're glad we found this place - we both had the chorizo burger with potato salad and it was really good. Would definitely recommend for lunch.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank SarahandPaolo
Okeechobee, Florida
“Very poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I walked in on a rainy afternoon (actually a deluge), there were four people working there that I could see. One person was serving the lady and kids that walked in when I did. I put my umbrella down and walked to the counter and stood there. And stood there. And stood there. No one said hello, or greeted me in any way, and certainly no-one asked if they could help me. The display cases were empty, and the menu was vague to say the least. I'm normally a patient, understanding customer, but I was wet from walking down the block to this café, and now they acted as if I wasn't there. GREAT way to do business! NOT! I left, and I doubt I'll be back. They won't stay in business in a small town if they can't treat their customers any better than they treated me.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank OkeeGypsy
meganmattson, Owner at Nutmeg's Cafe, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
I am very sorry about your experience, and please understand that I take all comments that I receive very seriously. I am usually at the restaurant 90% of the time that we are open so I can say that my employees do not ignore customers. However, we do make mistakes. What I am guessing happened is you walked in with the lady and her children and the rest of the staff thought you were with that group. Since someone was helping them already, I truly do not think you were intentionally being ignored. Also I don't imagine it could have been that long since the cashier had not finished with the group in front of you before you left. As to the cases being empty. We make all of our product fresh, so if we are very busy or someone comes in and buys everything, it could take us hours to get it replenished. For the matter of our menu being "vague", I'm not quite sure what you meant by that, perhaps you though all we had was what was on the chalk boards, and those are just our daily specials, we have an actual menu as well. So please come in, ask to speak to me personally and I will try to make it up to you.
Okeechobie
“Not impressed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We came here because it was rated the #1 restaurant in town! It looks like someone was trying to make the restaurant look cute but it just didn't have that warm, inviting feel. The staff was pleasant, but except for the chocolate peanut butter cheesecake, the food was very average. I had the Tuna melt with the pea salad which was not very good, and my husband had the turkey pot pie soup which he thought was good.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
meganmattson, Owner at Nutmeg's Cafe, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
In response to your comment- my food is very unique and I understand that not everyone may like every menu item. However all the items that you had are among some of our most popular, and I do wish you would have given us another try before posting a "not Impressed" review. According to your review the only thing you didn't care for was the pea salad and the decor. My decor is very eclectic and different with all the mismatched furniture, (especially for Okeechobee). I usually get nothing but compliments on my decor, and questions about where I got my ideas from! So please come back and give us another try and don't judge a restaurant by the way it looks but rather by the quality of its food, service and cleanliness.
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Soup/Sandwiches/salad/sweets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is a very nice restaurant in Okeechobee. They serve not only sweets, but sandwiches, soups and salads. I came here from the other reviews on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed.I ordered the tuna melt, and I got the half a sandwich, and it was plenty big. The bread was not a typical white bread, but a tasty rye bread. The tuna had the addition of both apples and rosemary and was a great combination. And of course, a thick slice of gooey cheese. I also tried the beet salad, which also had pickles and sour cream. They also serve breakfast, and I plan to go back for that. The place is set up like a tea room . While there, they had several visitors. A few singles, a few couples and large group of women. So it appeals to a variety of people.

This restaurant is located in the center of Okeechobee. If you are on hwy 441, you should turn on Park st, going west. You will see a small park with some military equipment. Behind that are a row of shops. Nutmegs is towards the end of that row (going away from hwy 441). The place is not actually on Park street itself, but more on a side street next to it (if that helps some people find this place).

If you like something different than a typical steak or hamburger joint, I think you will like this. You can access their menu on line to see what they have to offer.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
meganmattson, Manager at Nutmeg's Cafe, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thank you so much for your review! I hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Okeechobee. But you will need to look for us at our new location which is no longer on the side street, but actually on Park Street! (515 SW Park Street) We wouldn't want to miss you!