“Glad we can cross this state park off our list!”

Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park
Ranked #3 of 22 things to do in Okeechobee
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This campground is in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you bring a book because there really isn't anything to do. Have all your provisions before you arrive because there isn't anything out there. The bath house was clean. The washer and dryer worked well. The campground hosts take their job a little too seriously! DO NOT ride your bike on or near any vacant site. The equestrian loop does not have a bath house. Put your cell phone away because you won't get any service!

4  Thank Kathy A

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park offers pretty dark skies with excellent seeing conditions for astronomy enthusiasts. Be sure to pack your dew heaters though. The rangers and staff were helpful and friendly. The bath house is pretty new and very clean. It's a 1st rate park with interesting wildlife to observe, including alligators, birds, snakes, etc. The ground is exceptionally flat allowing for easy biking. No mosquitos when I was there (Jan/Feb) but bring spray for the other months, I'll bet.

2  Thank Terry T
Reviewed February 9, 2014

An amazing place! Rode our bikes and never ever felt more isolated and alone! We did not see another man made object for several hours. Amazing, beautiful.....raw! Just you and nature, and this does include herds of gators! You must be alert on the trails for the gators, snakes and also for spiders in webs across the trail. If you want to commune with nature then come on out! Small fee, I think $4 or so? More than worth it. You can camp also, we just came for the day. They say star gazing is amazing because of how isolated the preserve it. Took tons of pics and video.

4  Thank Trail_chic
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We pulled in when it was raining in our 38 ft motor home. The roadways were covered in water and my husband backed into our site( #4, right beside the camp host) . I had driven the tow car and pulled it in close to where the picnic table was. A huge "no-no" as the camp hosts wife was out her door quicker than the shake of a rattlesnakes tail!!!! It says in the rules that you can only park on your driveway.!
We are right in front of the washrooms ( which is fine) it's has one washer, one dryer at a dollar each. I did one load (our bed sheets ). When the dryer was finished I walked over (all of 15 feet) and a strange man was taking my sheets out of the dryer!!!!! What if I had my pretty little undies in there???? O-m-g!
It rained the three days here, I feel like we are miles from no where and I'm afraid to look over toward the camp hosts. At $16.00/ night my husband and I ask... Is it worth being so far from everything and to scrub toilets for free camping?

3  Thank snowbird_elle
Reviewed January 20, 2014

If you like places away from the hustle and bustle and enjoy nature this is the place for you. As always you must keep in mind the time of year the trip was taken and that conditions change. You should consult the parks web page and I would suggest giving the park a call as somethings might not be up to date.

You should have all your supplies as there is only one little place to get items and it is a good 5 miles from the park. Getting to the park we used our GPS most of the way but when we got within 6 miles or so there were signs that contradicted its instructions. We did what the signs told us.
Be prepared to ride on a dirt scrub board road for 4 miles or so.

The park:
There are trails and all but one is open to bicycles, however, be aware that the trails are sand and will make biking difficult. The short nature trail though the hammock is beautiful with live oaks and palms. We didn’t see any wildlife but it was a nice walk. Our ride through the palmettos was the rough sandy one I mentioned above. I did see some wild turkeys but little else.
The slough by the turn into the road going to the campground and park office was an amazing place. Many alligators and many birds. The water was filled with fish and I went over in the early morning to watch the birds and gators feed. There were at least 16 gators. The birds were wood storks, egrets, herons, and others, all in great numbers. I spent hours watching all.

The campground:
Reservations highly recommended. Beautiful with nicely spaced campsites with water, electricity picnic table fire ring/grill. Many shaded by live oaks. Nice bath house. One washer $1.00 and dryer $1.00. There is an ice machine at the park office. Firewood is available for $5.00 a bundle. There is a box you fill with wood to measure your bundle and an honor box. I found the wood good burning.

11  Thank Tim R