“Family Vacation”

Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park
Ranked #3 of 22 things to do in Okeechobee
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I with our 2 year old brought the Coleman camper & the flats boat for the weekend to lot 18. It had enough space on the camp site to fit the boat, camper, tent screen over the picnic table, and two full sized trucks. Beautiful scenery. Amazing fishing!! The restrooms were clean and had good showers. Will be back soon! Loved the experience.

6  Thank Renegades_flatboat

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I really love going to this park, it's just very aggravating to travel 4 hrs. only to have the staff racing up down the trails, chasing the wild life away while we try and take pictures. Do visitors a favor and post signs on the trails, so we will know when not to waste our time hiking down a trail only to find a mud buggie or 4wheeler coming at us. By using the mud buggies you have created huge ruts on the trails making it difficult to walk on the trail. You could have the staff walk down the trails like you ask the visitors to do.
If you can get over not being able to hike down a actual walking trail, you will see deer and turkey , birds everywhere.

3  Thank TravelingmanGa_
Reviewed August 7, 2013

If you have never seen Florida as it used to be, this is the place to come. I'm fortunate to have bought property nearby and I will soon be moving there. I was born and raised in south Florida and I'm moving there to be closer to the "real" Florida.

1  Thank gghost
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This park felt so remote and far away from the craziness of the city (we love this)! Beautiful scenery, with so many wild flowers, the vegetation was just gorgeous. We saw many animals, deer, birds of all types, a gator or two and even cows! We were just driving through and decided to stop by and I am so happy we did. The fee is on the honor system no one is up front. You drive on a very long road and you instantly start seeing wild life. There were many trails to choose from. The scenery often change from lush green to dry, to short bushes and different types of wild flowers to oasis of trees bunched up together. The trails mostly did not have much cover, this is why this park is so famous for the amateur astronomers or just folks like my husband and I that love to star gaze.
I recommend you come in the winter time, wait if you can when you know there will not be a full moon to come and enjoy the stars.
We will definitely be coming back and better prepared to enjoy all this park has to offer.
Some areas were just absolutely magical.
Wheelchair access only in certain area, some of the trail are too sandy for a wheelchair. On the main road you take you can see everything from the car too.

3  Thank Yvonne A
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were here once before on a motorcycle trip, camping and stargazing. This time we were back for a longer stay, but unfortunately the sky was cloudy the entire time. On the upside, that kept it cooler, which was great when we headed out of the park to the nearby unpaved roads, great for dualsporting. The equestrian campsites are more remote and not near bathroom facilities, but LOTS quieter (no RV air conditioners). All the campsites are nicely shaded, with a fire ring and a picnic table. The bathrooms/showers/kitchen sink (fabulous!) in the family camping area were spotless and well-maintained. Guessing thanks for that should go to host volunteer Sherri (sp?), who was very welcoming. Saw a huge variety of animals including turkey, deer, partridge, tons of other birds, and quite a few snakes (but don't worry, you won't see THEM unless you're looking, and we were). Be sure to stop at the little market for any forgotten supplies, and the Prairie Place restaurant right nextdoor is the closest place for a good, low-key meal.

3  Thank VespagirL55