“First Anniversary Weekend Getaway”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocklawaha
The Nest on Lake Weir
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ocklawaha
Osprey, Florida, United States
“First Anniversary Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I are avid bikers, and spent time around Lake Weir during the Leesburg Bikefest...just a beautiful spot in the country. The Nest was absolutely spectacular...lake front sitting, nice restaurants close by and centrally located for our riding needs. We will be in room #6 for our second anniversary getaway at the Nest!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
South Carolina
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Nest in September, and it was exactly what we needed. After reading reviews, I had to book Room #6, the only room with a private porch. This was definitely the best pick for us! I spent the majority of our time lounging and reading on that porch, and I wish we could build a similar porch at our house! There are so many ways to relax and enjoy lake life at the Nest. I loved the swings under the massive oak tree, reading on a beach chair under a nice, shady umbrella looking directly at the lake, and watching the sunrise on the Adirondack chairs around the fire pit. This place is perfectly suited to encourage relaxation and rest. We weren't as active as usual while at the Nest, but the kayaks and pontoon boat both looked like fun if you are feeling up for more adventure. Side note: The next door neighbor was sunbathing topless which might not be too family-friendly for some visitors.

The actual rooms are tastefully designed and absolutely adorable. I love the cottage charm look with hand-picked decorations and distressed furniture pieces--very nice! Room #6 had a small living space with comfy two-seater couch, kitchen table, and small but efficient kitchen area. The bedroom was spacious and comfortable with a queen-sized bed, 2 chairs, a large closet, and TV. The bathroom was a tad too small for me, but it was still functional.

The Nest staff were unobtrusive and helpful with any questions we did have. We were glad to have breakfast provided in our fridge for the 2 days that we were there. The only negative would have to be the lack of good restaurants in the area. I'd suggest bringing your own food and grilling out, or driving to the Villages about 20 minutes away. We tried Gator Joe's which was okay for one night. It seemed to be the local drinking establishment with food as a second thought. I loved the seafood fritters with spicy horseradish sauce, but everything else seemed so-so. Do NOT eat at Big Bob's across from the Nest! I didn't know Italian food could be butchered so badly, but it was. We tried soup, salad, rolls, lasagna and fettuccine...everything was bland and borderline bad. When the bread has zero flavor that is not a good sign. Maybe the pizza was good? You live and learn...

I would return for that porch, lake views and peaceful experience.

Room Tip: Room #6 is worth the extra money! It's the only room with a porch, and it's overlooking the...
Ocala, FL
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I and our two girls stayed at The Nest this weekend. We had rooms 3 and 4, which were adjoining. It was nice to have the extra room. That setup was great for our family. We enjoyed using the kayaks while visiting and playing in the sand. The fire by the lake in the evening was nice too. There were videos and books to check out in the office. Great, up to date magazines in the rooms too. And what a nice surprise to have some breakfast already stocked in the mini fridge in our room too. The owners have gone above and beyond to make this such an amazing retreat. One of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms 3 and 4 are a great set up for families. Room 3 has a king bed and room 4 has two full beds...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KMGriggs
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We spent 3 nights in room 3 a week ago. The owners are very friendly and nice. The property is very quiet and nice. The room was beautiful and clean. We definitely enjoyed mornings at the beach on the lake. There are beach loungers, umbrellas, and beach towels provided. The fire pit was beautiful at night. There is bug spray provided in your room (which you will definitely need any time you come out your room). There is also a flashlight in your room to use at night when walking to the beach or firepit (it is extremely dark). I love the fact that the property is gated. The breakfast food was great. The fridge was stocked with oj, yogurt, milk, bagels, cream cheese, and creamer. There was also a full stock of cereal, coffee, sugar, and artificial sweetners. There is a Dollar General Store with a Red Box directly across the street. I must say that it was the most expensive Dollar General Store that I have ever been in. We rented a couple of movies. The flat screen has a built-in DVD player. I will say that the property is in the "country woods". It is a 20 minute drive in either direction to get to any city life such as grocery stores or major restaurants. The location was the only negative for us, I'm sure it is a positive for most. There are only 2 restaurants close, Big Bob's and Gator Joes. We ate at Big Bob's 3x's. This place is great if you like the country and you are looking for a quiet retreat. If you are not an outdoors person, definitely find somewhere else to stay! This is not for everyone. This was our first experience staying somewhere like this and it was nice. We usually stay in the city when we vacation. Also the pics of the rooms on the website are spot on. All in all we would stay here again.

Pompano Beach
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is just a beautiful part of Florida and a hotel,that exceeded all expectations.
The most comfortable bed we ever slept in and a room so tastefully furnished and decorated..
The boat ride on Lake Weir was a relaxing and enjoyable experience.
David and Lorraine created an Oasis and they make sure you have a wonderful time at their NEST.

Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Nest last week and enjoyed an excellent evening in a beautiful area of Florida. Our room had a nice kitchen with glassware rather than the usual plastic cups you get a most motels. The Nest was more than a motel in may ways. The owner David was very personable which is always a good sign when you're traveling. The room had cereal, milk, coffee and bagels for our morning breakfast which was more than we expected when we checked in. The Nest sits on Lake Weir which is a beautiful lake. They have beach and lakefront seating and picnic areas. The rooms were very nice and the bathroom was large and stylish with nice towels and washcloths. It was kind of difficult to find at night as the road sign was smaller than most motel signs and not lit up. The motel has a gate for those who feel the need for this sort of protection, and a nice tree line driveway. My wife and I like to explore off the beaten track places in Florida and Lake Weir was one of the nicest areas. For those going to the springs in the Ocala National Forest, or if you just want to boat around on one of Florida's nicer lakes or just visiting the spot where Ma Barker and her son Fred ran into the law for the last time and are looking for an upscale motel at reasonable prices I strongly suggest The Nest.

Room Tip: We like Unit 4 but it was the only room we saw. If they were all as nice as this one any room would...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Holiday, Florida
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful weekend here in early August. Couldn't ask for a more private and beautiful retreat. The host owners provide an experience that is second to none. They offer Ritz Carlton hospitality at Holiday Inn prices.

We stayed in Unit 5 with separate bedroom and living area. We were surprised by the quality of little things like soaps and shampoos.

Will return often to experience different seasons.

Terri and Jerry V

No wonder all the previous reviews were excellent!

Room Tip: No need for a swimming pool or fitness center.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JerryTerri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocklawaha
The Waterfront Inn
The Waterfront Inn
#2 of 2 in The Villages
Hampton Inn & Suites The Villages
Comfort Suites The Villages
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - The Villages
TownePlace Suites The Villages
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Lady Lake/The Villages

Been to The Nest on Lake Weir? Share your experiences!