“Service here smells as bad as a clogged drain”

Courtyard by Marriott Ocala
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Only stayed here because three other hotels were booked solid one night. Aside from a door seperating the sink from the toilet and an interior designer's well-thought out wallpapering, you're paying an extra $60/night over the neighboring hotels for nothing else. The sink was clogged, hotel service didn't come until the next day and I was charged an additional $30 because the staff said it was fine before I got there. If clogging a sink is all I needed to do to become a rock star, I would have done that years ago. Should have just gone to Walgreens and paid $5 for a thing of Drano. Unfortunately, the mattress was great and the noise level was pretty well contained despite being near capacity (probably the clientele more so than the insulation). However, I would sleep in my car if I was in Ocala and no other hotel had vacancy.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank James K

Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed at this Courtyard for one night as we traveled to Miami. The room was comfortable and the hotel included one of Te Courtyard's cute restaurants. Additionally, the hotel is kid friendly.

Room Tip: If they tell you you need to drive to the B entrance, request that they find you another room in the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We were looking for a convenient hotel off I74 for an overnite stay. After discovering that most of the hotels were sold out because of a horse show, we luckily found this one. However our overall experience was quite disappointing. First there is no mini fridge in the room, nor is there an in-room safe. Rooms were standard, with large balcony, clean. Be forewarned that, unlike other many of the other 'freeway' hotels, this one does not have a free breakfast. The food is quite expensive for the quality. There is an onsite bar but we experienced absolutely terrible service. Took the bartender/waitress more than 10 minutes to get four of us 2 beers and 2 glasses of wine. When we got back to our room, we found our door to be slightly open; we firmly shut it when we left. Nothing was missing but it is something to be aware of. It was a disappointing Courtyard experience. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I stayed here in December 2011 for one night. I traveled with a colleague. Neither of us had any complaints with our rooms which were very clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly, check-in and check-out were both easy and quick. There were restaurants within walking distance.The rooms were some distance and through several doors away from the lobby. We did not have any meals at the motel so I can't speak to the quality of the breakfast, etc. No complaints.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I had an expensive pair of sunglasses/case stolen from my suitcase in my room over Thanksgiving weekend. When I reported it to Richard, the manager, he assured me he would conduct a full investigation and get back to me. That was over a month ago and he never responded. I don't expect the sunglasses to be returned, but I wanted to give future guests a heads up to lock up their valuables.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jwm49092
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Had two rooms Nov 19, 2011. the hotel is easy to find and get to - perhaps a hundred hards from the I-75 exit. Check-in was efficient, though only one clerk was working at about 6:00pm and there was a line in the lobby. This property is one of the types with the front "desk" being more like a convenience store.
The layout of the property is a little confusing at first - we followed the instructions given and made a loop around the courtyard. The public areas as tidy and modern with clever sitting areas including a 'business' area with public PC's and also a sitting area with large television. Breakfst is available but basic and expensive (think $2.50 for a plain, refrigerated bagel); we chose to eat at the Bob Evans nearby and there is also a Cracker Barrell next door.
The rooms were comfortable and clean. We had 2 queens and they were very comfortable - far better than average. The toilet/shower area of the bathroom is in a seperate room with its own door - seperate from the sink. Towels and toiletries were basic and not noteworthy.
The staff was helpful and friendly. I made a special request at the front 'desk' and of housekeeping and both were satisfied quickly and cheerfully.
The property is in a square shape, surrounding a swimming pool in the center, and parking was plentiful and of reasonable access.
Based on my experience there are two major drawbacks: 1) the rooms are not quiet at all; we had an inside courtyard room and an outside room and both were quite noisy. We could hear sinks running in adjacent rooms, road traffic at all hours, normal-volume conversations by the pool AND in the hallways and the ice machine far down the hallway. 2) The cost was $109/nt, which seems high based on the basic, budget nature of the property. This exit of I-75 has many, many hotels (three by Marriott alone) and there is nothing abotu this property that justifies the price difference.
I would stay at this property again if I were guaranteed a toop cloor, outside, rear corner room as remote from the other parts of the hotel as possible and there were a price special.

Room Tip: Outside (away from interior pool courtyard) on the rear (away from traffic noise).
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The Courtyard by Marriott in Ocala is currently under renovation. The rooms have been remodeled very nicely, and they are working on the lobby area. Front desk staff was efficient and friendly. They have a great fitness center and the central pool looked nice. If my review could stop right there, I would have given the hotel a higher score. However, the hotel has virtually no soundproofing. Our room was on the 3rd floor in the NW corner of the hotel and you could hear every sound from the parking lot and street beyond, as well as from the hallways. Renovate all you want, but unless you rip out the walls, you can't fix lack of soundproofing. At one point we actually went into the bathroom to see if the shower was on, only to realize it was the room below us.
They offered a free, but sad, buffet breakfast tucked away in the corner of the lobby - defrosted doughnuts (my pet peeve), cereals, apples wrapped in plastic, and waffles (well, they had a waffle iron and there was a puddle of batter on the table, so can only assume they were refilling the batter dispenser - why the person who picked up the dispenser didn't wipe up the batter, I don't know). Hopefully, when the lobby renovation is complete, the buffet area will be nicer. Unfortunately, I won't ever find out because the noise in the room kills this hotel for me.

Room Tip: NE corner of the hotel might be the quietest for street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple