“Clean, comfortable, met our expectations”
Review of Courtyard Ocala

Courtyard Ocala
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Registration staff friendly and professional. Well appointed clean room with balcony facing street (some road noise, but not too bad) (next time we will reserve a corner room with balcony facing pool area), bed was very comfortable, bed linens and towels were clean & smelled clean. Toiletries were provided daily. Carpeting had a few stains here and there, could use shampooing or better yet replacing. Pool was jacuzzi were clean and not too crowded, nice!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank sweethomeusa

Reviewed September 6, 2011

This hotel was recently remodeled...you can tell it's actually an older hotel that they've given a more contemporary look/feel. The rooms are fairly nice, and they have the type of things business travelers expect. I especially liked the LAN cable (in addition to wireless). Not many hotels seem to offer that anymore. The staff were friendly and seemed capable. The hotel has a small bar area with a really sweet bartender. A/C worked well - albeit a little noisy. The pool looked great, and I would have loved to have time for a swim.

What I didn't like -- the walls are thin. I was up about 5am getting ready to go into the office and I was going to the bathroom. I could hear the guest in the next room coughing like she was just outside the bathroom door, and I'm sure she could hear everything I was doing as well. Not a good feeling. The next night, some gentlemen were coming back from dinner about midnight and were a bit loud in the hall. This stuff happens at every hotel to be fair...but I think the sound insulation should be a little better for a three-star. The couch in my room was a little beat up. Also, I've got kind of a sensitive nose, and there was a slight mildew odor when I first walked in (it seems like most hotels in Florida have this problem).

It wasn't a bad stay overall. Very capable, friendly staff. Just some little things that need to be worked on. When I travel for business, I like to be really comfortable -- I find that I get the most done that way. This hotel wasn't quite up to that level, but it did meet my needs.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank robko626
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed here for three nights on a business trip to Ocala.

Location: Just off I-75 at the SR-200 exit (350). Near other hotels and a variety of restaurant options. The local mall is just on the other side of I-75, so if you need to do any shopping you have that nearby. Very easy to access the hotel from I-75, but slightly more difficult to get back on to I-75. No problems though, they have posted signs directly people how to get back to the interstate. Not a whole lot going on in Ocala, but this is probably the best section of town if you have to be here.

Hotel: Looks slightly worn on the outside, and the lobby could stand to be brought up to date. Nice courtyard/pool area...has a real Florida feel with all the palm trees. Breakfast buffet was standard Courtyard fare - eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, juices, etc. Not sure if they have any business or fitness center here, I didn't need a business center this trip, and didn't have time to check out the fitness center (if any). Unlike the lobby/common areas, the guest rooms and hallways have been renovated.

Room: Clean, modern, user-friendly. Flat screen TV, pull-out sofa bed, king size bed, desk, etc. Wireless internet worked well, and speeds were more than adequate. Not a huge number of channels on the TV, but enough. They gave me a "deluxe" room, which had a nice view of the pool area.

One other comment: The staff at this hotel was very welcoming, and helpful with any questions I had, particularly the young woman who works the afternoon shift.

Will return to this location the next time I'm in Ocala.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BlueDart404
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed for one night last week and it was the best night during my entire two week trip which entailed 5 different hotels. The room was clean, free of mold and mildew unlike many Florida hotels. The bed was very comfy and I am partial to the Hilton's sleep system but didnt miss it that night. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Thank you Sara and Lynne! I would recommend this hotel to everyone traveling through the Gainesville/Ocala area.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank tisimmons
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I was really impressed with how pretty the plants were outside and the interior design. After that it was downhill from there. The beds were so soft that I couldn't get comfortable, the shower reminded me of my childhood home from way back when and there was still coffee in the coffeemaker. Overall a good place if you juSt need a so so sleep.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed October 5, 2010

INTRO:

I wanted to take a break from work and enjoy a mini-vacation near Orlando. Thought Ocala would be a nice place to take a break, so I decided to use up my Marriott points for a 2 night stay. Normally when staying for 1 or 2 days, I will just stay at a Fairfield Inn, which is known to be a reliable Marriott brand. Unfortunately all the rooms got sold out, forcing me to find a different brand. Luckily, Courtyard wasn’t too far away. It is supposed to be slightly more upscale than Fairfield Inn, but lacking the free continental breakfast. Since I never stayed at a standard Courtyard (I have stayed at a more upscale Courtyard that looked more of a Marriott) before, I decided to give them a shot. I booked a standard room with 2 double beds (king beds were NOT available).

ARRIVING AND CHECKING IN:

Ocala is a little under 1.5 hours away from Orlando. I left Orlando around 4PM and arrived at the hotel around 5:20PM. The Courtyard Ocala was located near various restaurants (Cracker Barrel, Steak and Shake, 5 Guys Burgers, Burger King) and a small shopping center within walking distance. I found a parking spot and started walking towards the entrance. After going through the single automatically sliding door, I approached the lobby. On the left side was the check-in counter. I approached the counter and informed the agent of my reservation. Lisa (the agent’s name I believe) cheerfully looked up my reservation and informed me that my room was ready. I asked her whether the room contained a fridge. She told me it didn’t, but there were other rooms at a lower level that had one. I requested if I could get one with a fridge and how much extra it would cost. She ended up giving me a room at the second floor that had a fridge (room 266 or 264 I believe) and told me not too worry about the extra cost (giving it to me free of charge). She gave me my room key and a small bag with chocolates (since I was checking in with my Marriott Credit Card). Within no more than 5 minutes I was checked-in!

THE ROOM:

Going to the room was a bit of a maze. I had to go through a door that led to the rooms, and then walk through a corridor to reach the elevator. The elevator was a rinky-dink that was a bit slow (hey, it’s only a 3 story hotel). Walked through another corridor, reached my room, and inserted my key card.

The room was clean and kempt upon arrival with a little over 200 sq ft of space. There were two double beds with two big pillows, two smaller pillows, and one red head rest pillow in each bed. The beds aren’t as comfortable as the Marriott’s signature Revive bedding, but still pretty good quality. Pillows came both in foam and feather. There was one layer of blanket and a small throw blanket (I think that’s what they call it) to top it at the end. It almost looked like a Marriott bed. The TV was about a 27 or 32 inch LG LCD TV with approximately 25 to 30 channels (including free HBO). There was a cabinet with three drawers and a small shelf in the bottom containing the small fridge. There also was a coffee maker with some packets of coffee (by Tol House or something like that), but lacked any tea bags. At the end was a small business desk with a decent leather chair. Internet and WIFI were available and free of charge, but I did not use it. I did not recall seeing a closet, but there was an iron with board near the bathroom. My room only had a window with blackout drapes (some rooms had balconies). The window had a great view of the pool area. The A/C was controlled by a digital thermostat that worked pretty well. However, the A/C would only turn on only if someone was in the room as there was a motion detector right next to the door.

The bathroom was clean and had a separate sink and toilet/shower area. There was a single sink with a decent amount of hand and bath towels. The toiletries were slightly upscale and included a face soap, hand soap, separate shampoo and conditioner, and lotion (all by Davies Gate Seeds and Grain collection). The door led to the toilet and bath/shower combo. There were three average size towels in the shower area. The water pressure and temperate were just right and the shower head also had a massage option. Overall, the room was about 3 stars/diamonds.

Housekeeping did a great job keeping the room clean every day and also accommodated my request to come back at a later time when I was not ready for them.

THE LOBBY AND OTHER PUBLIC AREAS:

The lobby looked a little old, but was still nice. At the end of the lobby was a business center that had two computers. Use of the computers and Internet was free, however the service could be a little slow at times. Also, only one of the computers was working when I was there. The business center also contained some newspapers (USA Today and Wall Street Journal). Next to the business center was the bar and lobby lounge with a big screen TV. The bar was open during the evenings and served wine, beer, cocktails, and soft drinks. There was also a small pantry with soft drinks, juices, snacks, candies, frozen foods, and ice creams. All prices were in the higher fare than the normal grocery shops, but still convenient when you are on the go. There was a small restaurant that served breakfast during the mornings (about US 6 dollars for buffet), but I did not try it. Next to the restaurant was a self serve coffee and tea area. I never knew the coffees and teas were complimentary until one of the staffs told me.

There was a complimentary fitness center that contained free weights, a recumbent bike (the one with a backrest and not the one where you straddle it like a horse), a stair climber, and a couple treadmills. The fitness center was open from 6AM to 10PM and accessible by using the room key. Going outside into the center of the hotel was the courtyard (so that’s why they call it the Courtyard :P) with a decent size pool. Not sure whether the pool was heated or not, but the water temperate was just fine. The pool/courtyard area did play some background music which was audible in my room, but thankfully was turned off after 10PM. However, the lobby area played some nice jazz music throughout the day. :)

THE STAFF:

The staff is of the typical Marriott fare…nothing but friendly and can-do service! All staff I encountered was very cheerful and helpful. Lisa and front desk manager (Sorry, I forgot the manager’s name) frequently gave me good suggestions on were to eat and even made reservations when requested. They also gave me good directions on how to get to the restaurants and attractions. Finally, they encouraged me to take as many cookies as I wanted in the front desk area. The bartender (also forgot her name, sorry) was also nice and amiable. She was kind enough to let me the computer when she was using it. She also saved me money when I wanted a soft drink by telling me to get it from the pantry than going to the bar. We finally ended up had a nice chat for about an hour in the bar area. Security was present during the evenings and the whole hotel is locked from 11PM to 6AM. Room key is necessary to open the main lobby during those hours.

OVERALL:

I must say that you can never go wrong with a Marriott, and the Courtyard Ocala proved to be no exception. The rooms are quite nice and the employees are wonderful. The lobby is a bit dilapidated, but still looked good. Location was perfect with various restaurants and a shopping center within walking distance. Silver Springs was only about 20 to 30 minutes away. There were a good amount of amenities for the business traveler. The regular room rates are in the more expensive side (around US 110-120 dollars per night for standard room), however I would definitely stay there again using my points (10,000 points per night). Overall, a great 3 star/diamond hotel.

Sorry folks, got no pictures of the hotel this time. :(

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank ArunKrishnamurthy
Reviewed September 7, 2010

When we go to Florida we stop over at this hotel to break up the drive. Its located in a nice area near several places to eat. The hotel is not brand new but it is clean. This Courtyard has a great pool for the kids. Its in the middle of the hotel but outside, not a parking-lot hotel. The cool has been clean every time we have used it. The Courtyard does have a restaurant but its breakfast is a little pricey. We usually just walk over to the Cracker Barrel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family