“Needs some work...”

Hilton Ocala
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed there on June 7th when I was in town for a family event. The front desk was very accomodating in letting me check in early. I decided to book this rather than the Hampton Inn which was close by because I thought that it would be a nice step up from the Hampton Inn. The lobby is very nice, the parking lot is not the best (I don't like parking on a slope and a lot of the parking to the right of the entrance is a slope so you better engage that parking brake). The room - is no better than your Hampton Inn (which I love staying at). In fact, it might even be worse. Pealing paint in a Hilton room is not what I would have expected. When I checked in there was a delay because they were not using any "sprays" in my room. I asked them what that meant and they said no scented sprays because I had requested it...which I had not. Once I finally got up to the floor I understood why some people must request the "non-spray" rooms. The perfummy smell from the cleaners in the hallway was overwhelming...and this smell didn't go away. Thank Goodness my room did not smell as fragrant because I would have had to leave because it would have ended up giving me a headache. The horse motif throughout needs an overhaul. I guess my overall view is that if I had been paying (and not using points) I would have expected a lot more for my money. We did not use the restaurant, pool facilities or room service. I was there almost a week ago and the $50 hold they put on my credit card (in case we wanted room service, etc.) is still on there...I called and they said it could take up to 10 days to get it off - this always surprises me because I can check my account right after I check in and the hold is always there immediately...but they can't reverse the hold any quicker...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LuluGirlApopka_FL
Karl K, Manager at Hilton Ocala, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

There are times when one's experience does not seem up to expectations...and in your case it seems we may have come short. I can agree that any fragrance can impact the senses of each person differently...and I thank you for your feedback.
We take a great deal of pride in presenting and keeping a pristine, clean property...and with over 25 years in the community we have set the bar for others to follow. We are proud to have a new member of the Hilton family of hotels in the area (Hampton) and that helps us stay sharp and raise our bar even higher.
The one question I would have regarding the hold on your card...did you use a debit/credit card for your incidental charges deposit? that would be one reason for the longer time to settle the charge hold to zero. Please be aware it was not a "charge" but an authorization for $50 to ensure that amount of credit was available at the time of check in.
We look forward to your next visit and meeting your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Ocala

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife LOVES horses, so I planned a simple little getaway to look at property in "horse country." With the Hilton name comes the expectation of class and service. The desk staff was always very cordial and accommodating. As we were travelling with our two dogs, it was important that the hotel be pet friendly. There was a $49 non-refundable pet fee, but that is cheaper than trying to board our boys. After booking our stay, I found that the hotel has a Clydesdale named Buddy that lives on the property. As I mentioned before, my wife loves big horses, so she was like a little kid at Christmas when we walked out to the paddock. Buddy treats were available in the gift shop to feed the horse, so of course, we had to purchase a bag for $1.
This was our first trip travelling with our eight week-old son, so I was happy with the size of our room. There was plenty of space to set up his pack and play. In addition, I asked the desk if there was a refrigerator in the room. She replied that one was available at no additional cost. The maintenance engineer nearly beat us to the room with a micro-fridge combo. I was very impressed with the timeliness of the delivery.
There was an in-house restaurant and bar that we would have liked to try, but we were unable to on this trip. We will definitely make that a priority on a return trip to Ocala.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Well...speaking for Buddy, our resident Clydesdale...thank you for the treats and attention. He is always eager to say hello with his BIG smile and nudge!
Ocala's reputation as the horse capital is no more apparent than at Hilton Ocala. Executive Chef Randall Cox has an amazing culinary team and we certainly hope you return and try the many dining options and new menu items offered on a consistent basis.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Typical clean Hilton, only this one is dog friendly. As with any dog friendly hotel the rooms are located on the same floor as the smokers. However, we smelled only the occasional cigarette smoke. Our stay was a nice experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Karl K, Manager at Hilton Ocala, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hey....we know Fido is part of the family, so why not bring him along when staying at Hilton Ocala. With our enormous 6-acre back paddock and nearby horse farms adjacent to our property, there is plenty of room to let the pups stretch their legs and wear em out for a good nights sleep.
Thanks for the kind comments and we'll see the family again soon. Woof!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

If we are traveling from Tn to FL, we really try to have our halfway point be Ocala so that we can stay at the Hilton Ocala/Silver Springs. The employees are so nice and the accommodations are clean and fresh. The breakfast is extra special with order from the menu or from the breakfast bar OR both! I highly recommend this one!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl K, Manager at Hilton Ocala, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Glad to hear that you found us in Ocala after a long drive from Tenn! Being in the perfect middle of the state of Florida, Hilton Ocala is the most convenient place to call home you can imagine. Our staff takes a lot of pride in their friendliness and we are glad you noticed. We hope to see you again on your Southeast travels

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Everything was clean, staff was super nice, pool is awesome. Breakfast was delicious, large to go coffee cups was a plus. Plenty of parking and yes, it's really free parking. We live in Ocala and will stay again, great weekend Staycation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl K, Manager at Hilton Ocala, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Awesome! When you got to get away, you can easily find an oasis right here in Ocala....so glad you had a great time close to home adn thank you for your comments. Our 15,000 sq. ft. pool desk with spa overlooks our 6 acre oak-lined paddock. So there is never a loss of places to stroll, enjoy the FL sun, or bask in the shade of our giant oaks.
It's nice having a home away from home, close to home....and leave the hussle of the neighborhood or highway behind.
And yes...parking is free, and so is the coffee in the morning.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with a lot of good features. The beds and bed linens were excellent. The room layout was good, and we had a nice view of the pool and the surrounding areas. We had this little "cooler" on our room which wasn't working, and therm at the desk was pretty peevish about helping us. He did send someone from engineering, so that worked out.
The one thing that would maker hesitate to return to the Ocala Hilton was the noise factor. Our room was far from soundproof, and we heard our neighbors all afternoon and evening.

• Stayed: May 2013
Karl K, Manager at Hilton Ocala, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for all your great comments, and the candid info about noise in your room. Sometimes people do forget that there is only an insulated wall seperating them from the room next door, and end up speaking loudly over the TV or something similar.
The Hilton Ocala is actually one of the finest and best hotel construction; being built by the famed ARvida Corp (same as Disney). We certainly hope you return and give us a new look and mention your past noise issue when you arrive - we will be sure to be extra selective in your room selection

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in town for a weekend soccer tournament, and booked this hotel sight unseen through Hotwire at a great price. Lucky us! The room was very clean and comfortable. Nice beds, clean bathroom, good workspace for business folks, but no fridge or microwave. We ordered burgers through room service; a little pricey but good food delivered to your door is always nice! The hot tub was awesome, as was the swimming pool. Staff was friendly and helpful. Would stay again in a heartbeat. Great job, Ocala Hilton!

Room Tip: Ice machine was very noisy; seemed louder than most. Glad we didn't have a room near vending.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Karl K, Manager at Hilton Ocala, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

It certainly sounds like you covered as much ground while here as possible. The burgers and also the awesome Turkey Burger in Arthur's Restaurant are some of the best around. Granted, the convenience of top-notch, hot room service ar outweights the small amount added to the affordable price of our lunches and dinners.
Please come back and visit the next time you are in town for any event, and congrats on scoring one of our few Hotwire deals that weekend