“Best of the Best”

Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Cedric is the best. No phone charger he gave his personal charger. This place is the best. I'm a truck driving and when I pass I-75 I make it my business to spend a night over at Hojo's. There's truck parking, free breakfast, dinner, great clean pool, staff is friendly, and the rate are good. I will stay here all the time.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your great review of our Howard Johnson Ocala. We are so lucky to have great employees like Cedric working at our hotel and keeping our guests happy. Cedric would bend over backwards to make a guest's stay pleasant as would many of our dedicated staff. We understand that truck drivers have a very tiring and stressful job and we want to ensure that when you stay with us, you won't have to worry about parking, dining, or the hotel costing too much. We love our truckers and will work to take care of you. Thank you!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,568)

Reviewed January 17, 2011

I must say the front desk staff was friendly, rooms were in decent shape, pool was not very clean, I know no one is using it, but aleast have it looking clean. The rooms were dated, the bathroom was clean, thier was a leak and i called the front desk and they took care of it right away.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
HoJoOcala, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Thank-you for staying at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and taking time to write and post a review on tripadvisor.com. Our goal is to provide great value for every dollar our valued guest spends at our hotel. Being big believers in the "Ho-Jo Happy Culture," all our team members are trained and empowered to do everything in their power to provide our guests with a happy and memorable experience. Furthermore, our dedicated housekeeping team members are told not to compromise on the cleanliness of our hotel rooms. Our huge outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi, with nearby cabanas, are one of our hotel's main draw. We are currently finishing up a remodel of the whole pool and jacuzzi area. We hope you can revisit Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and swim in our newly remodeled heated pool and later relax in the nearby hot tub.

Reviewed January 10, 2011

This is the case of get more than you pay for. Basic spacious rooms.. motel sytle setting
I travel world wide and must say that the staff at this hotel are so freindly that they should make any hilton blush. Basic layout, nothing fancy for sure.. but a good solid stay for someone budget minded. WiFi is terrific!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
HoJoOcala, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

Thank-you for staying at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and taking time to write and post a review on tripadivisor.com. At the Howard Johnson Inn, our team tries very hard to make sure we are brilliant in the basics of the hospitality business. We make sure our rooms are clean, functional while offering our guests amenities such as great Wi-Fi, a breakfast with many healthy options all with great first class service. Our goal is to provide great value for every dollar our valued guest spends at our hotel. We hope to see you soon at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

Trip advisor was right on. This is an older property, but it well kept, comfortable, good beds, good breakfast, great value.

• Stayed: December 2010

Thank-you for staying at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and taking time to write and post a review on tripadvisor.com. Our goal is to provide great value for every dollar our valued guest spends at our hotel. Our guests can swim in our large outdoor heated pool, can relax in our out-door jacuzzi and enjoy great WI-FI access from the comfort of their room. Our rooms are equipped with all the amenities of newer more expensive hotels. However, our guests do not have to pay the room prices of these new hotels. Also, our breakfast offers something for every member of your group. Our breakfast offering ranges from protein items such as hard boiled eggs to hot items such as our made to order Belgian waffles. We hope to see you soon at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida.

Reviewed December 20, 2010

We had some last minute travel to the Ocala area for a funeral. We stayed here two nights and I'd been a bit concerned because of how mixed the reviews of this place were. I hadn't really looked further, or I'd have realized this motel was AAA diamond rated for several years running (with 2009 being the most recent). That would have allayed a lot of my concerns.

The room we were given was scrupulously clean (first floor at one end of the motel). No stains of any sort anywhere. It was a nonsmoking room, and it smelled of cleaning supplies, and not anything else. Yes, the highway runs right outside, and yes, there is highway noise. I sleep with earplugs, so it didn't bother me. I think my husband (who doesn't sleep with earplugs) didn't find the noise bothersome. It was a background hum, for the most part.

There were no shady characters that I saw at any time, though I did see a few truckers staying there. No surprise, given the wonderfully low price and proximity to the interstate. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe while staying there. Shampoo, lotion, and soap were provided with the room.

The linens were clean, though not especially soft. Also, we only had two bath towels and could have used a third, but it wasn't enough of a necessity to make it worth having them bring us another. Each bed had three pillows, which was great, because I always need three when I sleep on beds other than my own because I need a bit of an incline. The beds weren't the most comfortable I've ever slept on, but they weren't horrible, either. I'm not especially sensitive, and they held me up off the floor, which was all I really needed them to do.

We actually needed the heat (cold snap while we were there), not the air conditioning, and it worked just fine (though it was on the loud side when it ran, and it did drown out the highway sound).

The breakfast buffet was sufficient. There was fruit, a toaster, belgian waffles, mass-produced danishes, coffee, juices, cereal (four kinds) and milk, bagels, and hard boiled eggs. No hot chocolate, and I didn't notice tea, but I assume there was some. Hot chocolate would have been nice. We don't drink coffee or tea. The juice was fine. Considering that this came with the room, at the very low rate we were paying, this was quite a spread.

The staff were mostly warm and genial. The only one who wasn't really warm just looked pretty tired. He wasn't mean or anything, just near the end of what might have been a long shift. Everyone else was very nice.

We did have a problem with the toilet getting plugged, and it was so early in the morning (6:15) they didn't have any staff to send with a plunger, so I did have to go out to the office to fetch one, but they had one, and it worked fine. Not a huge issue for us and they were plenty nice about it.

The internet was spotty and a bit slow. But that was probably because people might have been watching streaming videos, and there's only so much bandwidth available. We had no problem connecting in our room, just pages loaded slowly, or had to be reloaded a few times before they'd come in. That was on the frustrating side.

The "business center" was perfect for printing out our boarding passes so we didn't have to stand in line at the airport, and there was no extra charge for the print outs. That was -fantastic-.

If I ever need to stay in the area again, I'd absolutely return here. The value was outstanding and the location was convenient for our needs.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
HoJoOcala, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2010

Thank You for this nice reveiw. It is our goal here at Howard Johnson Ocala to make every guest feel warm and welcome.We are pleased to be a conveient place for you to stop on your way through. We hope to see you again soon. Again thank you for making Howard Johnson your place to stay while in the Ocala area. Have a wonderful and safe trip. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know how we are doing. Have a safe and pleasant Merry Christmas and a joyous new year. We hope to see you in 2011.

Reviewed December 16, 2010

The room here was very nice, clean, and very comfy. When the staff noticed we were in U haul pulling a car trailer, they quickly came out and showed us a better place to park and changed our room so we could keep an eye on it. They had a lot to offer anyone staying there.

• Stayed: November 2010

Thank You for this nice reveiw. It is our goal here at Howard Johnson Ocala to make every guest feel warm and welcome.We are pleased to be a conveient place for you to stop on your way through. We hope to see you again soon. Again thank you for making Howard Johnson your place to stay while traveling in the Ocala area. Have a wonderful and safe trip Have a safe and pleasant Merry Christmas and a joyous new year. We hope to see you in 2011..

Reviewed December 10, 2010

We have chosen this location as our must stay-over on our way south each year. This was our 4th stay and once again we were not dissapointed. It is a great value and as Snow Birds we are always looking for a great value. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the restaurant on site is a nice advantage. The staff is always friendly and helpful, nice to see all those smiling faces!
We always recommend it and will stay there again next year.
Keep up the nice work Howard Johnson Ocala!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
HoJoOcala, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2010

Thank You for this nice reveiw. It is our goal here at Howard Johnson Ocala to make every guest feel warm and welcome.We are pleased to be a conveient place for you to stop on your way through. We hope to see you again soon. Again thank you for making Howard Johnson your place to stay for all 4 years. Have a wonderful and safe trip.