“yuck”

Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We were headed towards Port Lauderdale, we stopped there over night. I had been on this web site and saw good reviews. When we stopped in they asked me if i would pay more money I could have a bottom floor. I said we only had a overnight bag so we didn't mind climbing the steps. They sent us down to the next section by the pool and the interstate. That said, still no problem. We had a double bed room (2) I pulled up the sheets and the stains were horrible!!!!YUCK >>> Pillows Unbelieveable, matteress Love the springs. Didn't sleep scared to death of catching bed bugs! Spend the extra maybe you'll get the "better" rooms.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
HoJoOcala, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2010

Thank you for staying with us here at Howard Johnson Ocala, Florida. I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you had with dirty sheets in the room. I have reviewed this with my housekeepers and resolved that issue. If you are headed back through Ocala Florida any time soon please give us the plesure of another chance to have you as our guest. I can personnally assure you that you will enjoy yourself. Thank you once again from Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,601)

Reviewed January 25, 2010

I stay at this hotel at least 1 to 2 nights a month. I go for business it is always clean & comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank donnalee2004

Dear Guest, I am very glad you were able to stay with us here at Howard Johnson Inn of Ocala, Florida. We deffinently try to provide the most value for your buck. By having our heated pool, jacuzzi, mini golf course, free breakfast, internet, hbo, and an onsite restaraunt, and very low rates, we hope each guest feels that they receive good value. Thank you for completing this review of our Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and we hope to see you on your next trip.

Reviewed January 8, 2010

We stayed here one night while en route to Fort lauderdale. It was basic motel style, but everthing worked, it was good value, and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank baladrar
HoJoOcala, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2010

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for staying at Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Ocala Florida is a very good stopping point when traveling to south Florida. If you are deciding to head back north, we would be honored to have you as our guest again. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us here at Howard Johnson Inn, Ocala, Florida.

Reviewed January 1, 2010

The last review I read of this place made it sound horrible. In fact, it is quite nice for the money. It is an older motel from the "glory days" of car travel, but outside of tearing the place down, not much more can be done to upgrade it. My room faces the highway, has thin walls so I hear all the traffic and also my neighbors. I repeat, this is an OLDER hotel and this is not uncommon. You want the Ritz, you'll pay a lot more. I found the location to be fine, it's well in off the main road, so at least there aren't two sets of cars. The front desk was quite crowded when I arrived, but there were 3 people on duty, so check in was quick (I had a reservation) The landscaping is nice, the room is quite spacious, with a couch, king, large closet area and sink outside of the bathroom. The internet reception is not very good, so if you want to hang out on the internet, you'll be frustrated. I ate in the restaurant, the daily special and it was surprisingly good for the money (baked ziti, fresh green beans, some kind of weird yellow spooge substituting for butter on the bread. The cheese cake was delicious. I am traveling with my dog and staying in a nonsmoking room. It doesn't smell of dog or smoke. My biggest gripe is I had already made a reservation for a hotel one exit down the road, then saw this one had a heated pool and jacuzzi., so cancelled and booked here. It's cold out, but a heated jacuzzi should be around 110 degrees and even though it's outside, should be useable. The water was tepid at best, even though I confirmed at the desk that the pool/spa was open. I was really looking forward to soaking the kinks out of a long road trip, but the water is surely no warmer than 80 degrees and that is no where near warm enough to get in when it's 40 degrees out. Also, there are LOTS of dogs, if you don't like dogs, don't stay here. I would stay here again, but will be writing management about the jacuzzi situation. I also understand that the "free" breakfast is a coupon for $2.00 off, so that's also a bit of false advertisement. I figure an old hotel charging $60/night can throw in a continental. But then this is Florida, where they charge you for showing up.

• Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank yeibiche
HoJoOcala, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2010

Thank you for choosing to stay and taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us here at Howard Johnson Inn of Ocala, Florida. I am very happy to know that you have noticed all the improvements that we have made here at Howard Johnson. From new mattresses, spreads, and blankets, to landscaping and painting, to fast and friendly service. We truly work our hardest to provide each guest with a clean and comfortable stay. Just to clarify the mix up on breakfast, we do serve a free deluxe continental breakfast available each morning from 6:15am-10:00am. Please know that I have addressed the issues you had with our internet service, pool, and jacuzzi. We are a pet friendly hotel and it so happens that you arrived on a week during a large pet show in town, however I do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this caused you during your stay. We hope to have the plesure of seeing you again if you do plan on traveling to Ocala, Florida in the future. Once again, Thank you from all of us here at Howard Johnson Inn of Ocala, Florida.

Reviewed December 22, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel many times. It is a very clean with a great pool and hot tub. There is a resturant ion the grounds that is very basic. None of the gym equipment had working batteries.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
krissygildersleeve, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2009

Dear guest.
Thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson of Ocala and thank you for your comments.We are pleased to see that you were able to take advantage of our pool,hot tub and restaurant. We hope that being located right off of I-75 was convenient for you.Maybe on your next trip you could take advantage of our room service and we assure you that all fitness equipment will be working properly.Again we appreciate your comments and thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson of Ocala.

Reviewed September 25, 2009

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel,and the room were fine.but my wife had a clerk,
made sexual remark toward her.she inform this clerk she was happily married,but the comment contiune.
This was the only black clerk working that evening.after my wife informed me of this,i went to the front desk but thought better of saiding anything,thus i made this comment.
RESPECTFULLY.
NOT HAPPY

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
HoJoOcala, Front Desk Clerk at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2009

Thank you for taking time to voice your experience. I do believe I am the clerk that you were referring to. As a consumer, I know how I expect to be treated. My focus is providing the best customer service possible to make each guests stay as comfortable as it can be. I sincerely apologize that I came across in an offensive manner. I most certainly did not intend on any kind of harassment or discomfort towards your wife. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed September 11, 2009

We compared prices and have stayed at the more expensive hotel and this Howard Johnson was a much better deal for the price. Will stay there again. Thanks. Ron Turner

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank quinnsapp
HoJoOcala, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2009

Thank you for staying at Howard Johnson Inn of Ocala Mr. Turner. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Next time you are in the area we will be more than happy to accomodate you. My personal favorite place to shop and dine in Ocala is the Ocala Square. If you get a chance check it out, It's located less than 10 minutes from Howard Johnson Inn Ocala. We look forward to seeing you in the future.