“The BEST staff and best value!”

Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
GreenLeadersGold level
Miami Beach, Florida
“The BEST staff and best value!”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I don't usually write reviews but the employees at this hotel were so incredibly kind, warm and helpful that I had to come on here and give them the praise they deserve. We stayed here because our car broke down on I-75 on the way home to Miami. When we called to ask about their rate and explained our situation- stranded on the highway with all our luggage and our exhausted children- they offered shuttle service to come and pick us up! Our angel-in-a-minivan Cedric arrived just 20 minutes later and took us to HoJo. Carlos at the front desk was friendly and fast checking us in and when my husband mentioned it was his birthday they gave us grownups each a complimentary drink from the bar and soft-serve ice creams for our kids! Without even being asked Carlos gave us a room right by the pool and Cedric drove us and all our luggage right to our room. The pool was amazing- pristine, clean and so blue!- and our room was VERY clean and VERY comfortable. In the morning we got to enjoy a filling free breakfast including fresh waffles. Needless to say the kids were ecstatic and totally in love with HoJo by this point. The breakfast attendant (a woman whose name I didn't get) was sweet and helpful, wished us luck with our car repairs and even helped us pack up our leftovers for the road. Cedric called us again in the morning to give us the number of a trusted mechanic in town and to make sure we had a ride back to our car. Nicole checked us out at the front desk and arranged for the shuttle to return us and our luggage and our happy, well-rested selves to our car which we got fixed and back on the road that day.
Now I know this is a long review but these wonderful people deserve acknowledgement. We found ourselves in a very unlucky and uncomfortable situation and they went above and beyond to make it less frustrating and inconvenient. We actually had a good time!
And as for the value: we are a working-class family of 5, we travel about 3 or 4 times a year and our criteria is basically "the cheapest" hotel we can find. We don't have champagne tastes or caviar dreams. From someone who has stayed in her/our share of crappy hotels let me just say that this Howard Johnson was more than pleasant and hit all the basic "must-haves". It was clean, the beds were comfortable, it smelled nice and the cable/TV was great. The pool and hot tub were a super bonus and the free breakfast was one I would've gladly paid for. For a hotel stay we hadn't planned on and couldn't afford I was grateful to NOT have to leave feeling ripped off.
I can only imagine how infuriating and uncomfortable this whole experience might have been if we had stayed somewhere else and I'm so glad that we ended up here. Thank you again to Cedric, Carlos and all the kind folks at Howard Johnson Ocala!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you so much for your heartfelt thanks. I only wish that we had responded a year ago when you originally posted your story. Our staff is still the same; Cedric, Renee and Carlos are all still keeping our guests happy. Although we are very sorry that your car broke down, we are glad that we could help you through this difficult time. Thank you again for sharing your story with other travelers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
LAFAYETTE
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Clean, quiet, and affordable. Looks like it was an older motel that has been remodeled. Remodeling job wasn't top-notch. Representatives were polite and helpful. Continental buffet was adequate. One detraction was that all the rooms we could see open to the outside. That might be a security concern for some.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
HoJoOcala, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thank-you for staying at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and taking time to post a review on Tripadvisor.com. At Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida it is all about providing great value to all our special guests. Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida is conveniently located of Interstate I-75 exit 354 less than ½ mile from a brand new Publix. Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida is also minutes from Downtown Ocala. Downtown Ocala is famous for its square where numerous local restaurants and bars can be found. See you soon at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida.
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed June 3, 2011

This is an awesome place to stay. Close to Silver Springs, and lots of restaurants. The pool and hot tub are very nice. All the staff are friendly and helpful. Thank you to Nicole who gave us a list of things to do in Ocala, like Easy Street for the kids and Rainbow Springs to take a nature hike. Also I don't want to forget Cedric the night manager he was very pleasant during check in he made us laugh. I will definately recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a pleasant , friendly , and comfortable stay. VERY CLEAN ROOMS!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and taking time to write and post a review on tripadvisor.com. As you point out, Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida is close to Silver Springs and a lot of restaurants. The hotel’s dedicated hospitality professionals love to make sure you have a great stay. If we are unable to fully satisfy you, there will be no charge for your first night. Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida is in close proximity to Marion County’s famous fresh water springs and equestrian activities. Recently added is our stay and ride package. The package includes overnight accommodations for two, free breakfast and two ninety minute trail rides at Young’s Paso Fino Ranch in Ocala. Additional horseback riding tickets can be purchased. Added to all this is Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida’s huge outdoor heated pool, Jacuzzi and cabana area. See you soon at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida.
naples fl
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Sam gave me solid directions and reservation help on the phone. Mark and Sam were great, gave me a great room and we all had fun. I enjoyed the hot tub

Sat 5/28 Bill Grover

Room Tip: just ask the staff, they cared
Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for staying at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and taking time to write and post a review on tripadvisor.com. Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida is centrally located in Ocala, Florida and all our guest service agents are thoroughly familiar with Ocala and the most direct directions to our hotel. Our huge outdoor heated pool, Jacuzzi and cabana area are big draws. After a long day, guests love swimming and/or relaxing in our huge hot tub. Our onsite restaurant delivers meals poolside. We have one goal-that goal is to do whatever it takes to make sure each one of our guests has an enjoyable and comfortable stay. See you soon at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida.
Scotia, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2011

A little road noise , along I-75. Nice staff. Clean rooms . Very nice pool, and hot tub.
Very handy to everything.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
HoJoOcala, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and taking time to write and post a review on Tripadvisor.com.. At Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida what our guests say about us is very important. Every team member’s sole focus at the hotel is to ensure that each one of our special guests has a relaxing and enjoyable stay. Consequently, our hotel excels on the basics- providing clean and comfortable rooms with a nice deluxe complimentary breakfast (with hot items) every morning. As you pointed out, our pool and hot tub area is very spacious and clean. In the winter, our pool is heated. Lastly, the hotel is centrally located. Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida is minutes from Downtown Ocala, Marion County’s major equestrian showing grounds and Marion County’s famous horse farms and natural fresh water springs. See you soon at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida.
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Booked the room online at HOJO.Com the rates were just lower than Expedia and Hotel.com. Upon my arrival I was greeted instantly in a very professional and courteous manner, the check-in procedure took about 2 minutes and all my needs and requests made in my reservation, were met. The room 301 non-smoking, was spotless and smelled fresh, the A/C was cold and had a digital thermostat where I controlled the temperature, the a/c fan speed wound make a little noise if set at the lowest speed, once I adjusted the speed a little higher the noise stopped. The location was perfect since I was doing business at the Ocala Equestrian Complex and the Hotel is closed to restaurant shopping, etc.
The things I liked best was the service and cleanliness, the only negative thing was that the Ice Machine was very far from my room.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
HoJoOcala, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and taking time to write and post a review on tripadvisor.com. Our guests comfort and satisfaction is of utmost importance at Howard Johnson Inn, Ocala and therefore everyone on the premise strives hard to achieve that. Lately, for the convenience of our guests, the Howard Johnson Inn of Ocala has launched a booking website called hotelocala.com. The ease of booking a room and additionally providing local information about the attractive surroundings such as walking trails, horse farms, natural springs, etc. We hope to accommodate you soon.
Pisgah Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Stayed here for a dog show. The staff was just as others say...WONDERFUL!

I originally was put in a double and asked to be moved to a king that had a fridge...none were available the evening I came in, but the next morning the staff helped me move all of my "stuff" from the second floor double, to the first floor king! What great service!

The rooms were clean and breakfast bar was well stocked. The outside areas were well maintaned and basically the hotel is very nice for the price you pay.

One thing I would suggest...offer POOP BAGS in the grass areas! I picked up other peoples dogs poo because they did not pick it up. I appreciate hotels allowing dogs to stay in their hotels and NO ONE likes for there to be poop laying around. It is a shame that "pet people" can't be responsible and pick up their animals waste!

One thing that did disappoint me...I paid one price and my second day staying there on the large street sign a lower price was being flashed up. When I asked if the price that was being advertised on the sign could be applied to my bill, they said no. It was only $5 lower, but $10 savings is ALWAYS appreciated!

All in all...I felt safe, the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and helpful. If I have an occasion to come back to the Ocala area...I will be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank WhiskeyCreekCBRS
HoJoOcala, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Thank-you for staying at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida and taking time to write and post a review on tripadvisor.com. The dedicated hospitality professionals at Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida are empowered to do “whatever it takes” to make our guests’ stay memorable, comfortable and enjoyable. For us it is all about THE GUEST. Listening to our guests we have made some great modifications to our breakfast bar. Our fresh to made Belgium waffles are a hit and we make sure there are protein items for diet conscious guests. Our huge heated pool and Jacuzzi area was just remodeled. Based on your suggestion, we are investigating on a procedure of offering “poop bags” for our pet loving guests. Hope to see you soon at the Howard Johnson Inn Ocala, Florida.