“Good food”

Cuisines: Brazilian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 17th and 441 (Pine Ave)
Description: Ipanema Brazilian Steak House is a Churrascaria in the finest sense of the word. Our twelve authentic cuts and presentations of meat are seasoned with salt and roasted rotisserie-style over mineral coals imported from Brazil, basted continuously by their own natural juices. Served by traditional roving Gauchos, they are complemented by an opulent salad and vegetable bar, delectable desserts and delicious wines, beer, and cocktails.
takethemud
“Good food”
Reviewed May 25, 2008

My wife and I went to Ipanema on our 1st wedding anniversary. It was a great way to cap off our first year of married life. The food was excellent and the service was excellent. If somebody I work with wants to go out to a nice restaurant in Ocala, I recommend Ipanema to them.

I'd never been to a Brazilian steakhouse before, but I caught on pretty quick. A couple of guys walk around with pieces of meat, stabbed through their centers with swords. If you place your chip on the green side, they stop at your table and offer you meat. If it's on red, they pass by. There's a good variety of meats - 13 different kinds if I remember correctly -including filet mignon, top & bottom sirloin, ribs, sausage, pork, parmesan chicken, leg-of-lamb, and more. Everything was excellent except the sausage (which wasn't bad, just not as good as sausage usually is) and the lamb (which made me want to vomit). So that left me with 11 out of 13 items that I thought were great. I think the top sirloin was the best meat they had.

Then there is the "salad" bar. I put salad in quotations marks, because it's really more than a salad bar. There is salad, yes, but there are also things like cold cuts of meat, shrimp, and more. There's also a hot bar that has mashed potatoes, delicious gravy, and amazing shiitake mushrooms. If I hadn't eaten pounds of meat, I'd have eaten pounds more of those mushrooms.

I also hear they have seafood, if that's you're thing.

A dinner for two ($37 ea.), plus a dessert for each of us ($15-20 total), plus tip (18-20%) was about $115. All things considered, a pretty reasonable price to pay for this meal. While it is twice as much as you'd pay at the Outback, the food is easily twice as good. It's about what you'd pay at the Melting Pot (so-called fondue), but the food at Ipanema is much, much better. And you can eat until you're heart is content.

Ipanema now serves lunch. I am not 100% sure, but their website leads me to believe they don't have as big a variety of meat as they do for dinner... but you'd want to call them to figure this out. Personally, I'd never go to lunch there, because I'd be so full when I was done, I'd be unable to work.

In closing... Ipanema has tons of great meats & a great salad bar, the quality of the food is excellent and it's all you can eat, and the service is excellent. The fact that it costs $37 per person is the only downside, but at least you're getting what you pay for. I'd recommend this place to anybody in Ocala or the surrounding towns looking for a good meal, especially those who enjoy good meats. Vegetarians ought to stay away.

4 Thank takethemud

• Polish first
Ocala, FL.
“Never Again”
Reviewed May 24, 2008

We had dinner with a group of 8. It was not the first time we were at this restaurant but it certainly will be the last. My wife asked for lamb chops and when they were finally served they were more well done than the bottom of shoes. When a server finally reappeared, she asked for different lamb chops and the server said to her' "You didn't finish the ones I served you before." It was explained to him that the chops were too well done and my wife ordered them rare. Of course the server said they don't do lamb chops rare any longer.

They can keep their lamb chops, their steak and everything else they serve.

I won't go back there on a bet nor will I go to Skye either.

2 Thank mred163
Ocala,FL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great 1st time, bomb 2nd time”
Reviewed November 23, 2007

Several months ago, while visiting family in Ocala, we dined at Ipanema. Ipanema is a Brazilian style steakhouse, they bring meat dishes to your table and you choose what you like. The decor is stunning. We were there to celebrate my Mother's birthday. Everything was great. The food was beautiful, service great. My husband and I agreed that this was better than the Brazilian steakhouse at home (Atlanta, GA). We knew we would return.
We made reservations for seven people this past Tuesday. We drove from Atlanta really looking forward to dinner that night. This is not the same place it was several months ago. The salad bar was depleted. My Mother had to ask the manager to replenish the shrimp. I was the designated driver so I asked for decaf coffee three times before I got any. We asked for filet or any red meat three times-finally a manager before our table was offered anything. The prime rib was very fatty-I cut out two bites and could not eat the rest. The restraunt was also hot and stuffy. Although the staff finally met our needs, they never offered a sorry or chocolate cake or something. There were servers all around us, but not really taking care of our table. I got the impression the staff just wanted us to be quiet and go away. We also noticed that there seemed to be more chicken and pork-but not as many or as much red meat cuts. My husband and I intended this to be a treat for my family. In the end I wish we would have gone someplace else. I would have gotten a better steak at the Outback or Longhorn. I honestly prefer private one of a kind restaraunts to chains. Such a shame, I hope it is a onetime thing for them.

1 Thank junebug55