“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
Miami
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Very well run establsihment and convenient to Ocala, We stayed at a Hilton sister property (Hampton Inn) a few miles east a year earlier and were very disappointed in same. A little pricey for the general area (At Xmas was actually higher than the Ocala Hilton), but next to a great mall and close to my daughter's home. Great hibabchi place a few blocks away which was dirt cheap and delish!

Room Tip: If its a summer trip stay off the top floor, Ocala is brutal in the summer.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This hotel has a wonderful 2 room 2 bath suite that we enjoyed for about a week! The staff was spectacular and the room was clean and very comfortable. We enjoyed the three TVs and the great kitchen. If you have the occasion to go to Ocala, I highly recommend this wonderful gem right next to a mall on the main street of Ocala!

Room Tip: The 2 room 2 bath suite can sleep 6 comfortably!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed January 1, 2012

An overnight stay in October was 5 star quality as this hotel was very pleasant though we found the bedroom to be very small. However, a return visit Thanksgiving weekend totally changed my positive opinion. When we arrived at about 7:00pm there was loud karioki music blasting away in the breakfast area which I found odd. A DJ's truck out front confirmed this was a planned event though there was almost nobody in attendance. Everything else seemed nice the first night but upon returning from Thanksgiving dinner at a relative's home we found that housekeeping had done a poor job. Our used drinking glasses remained where we left them in various parts of the suite and new glasses had not been left. Fresh bath soap had not been left nor had a new roll of toilet paper or a few less important consumables been left. A few scraps of paper remained on the bathroom floor meaning it had not been swept. Okay, it was Thanksgiving but the hotel was sparsely occupied and there is no excuse for not replacing the drinking glasses or TP and I'd expect at least a cursory cleaning of the bathroom. I had to go to the front desk to get soap and toilet paper as there was only one clerk on duty; I understand this due to the holiday. However, one would think a supply of such items would be in reasonable access to him. Instead he had to walk to the opposite side of the hotel (past the swimming pool) to retrieve the toilet paper and soap while I wasted another five minutes waiting in the lobby. He had no clean drinking glasses (couldn't he get some from an unoccupied suite?) and suggested I check the dishwasher in my suite as housekeeping may have run some through the washer. Boy was that a mistake! I found several dirty dishes and silverware from a prior guest...Gross! Later when I sat on the sofa I found myself sitting on some sticky substance. I'll assume and hope it was kind of jam or jelly from a kid's sandwich. This must have been on the bottom side of the cushion the night before since I sat on that sofa that evening but how could the housekeeper miss this when making up the sofa bed in the morning? Before checking out I told the morning desk clerk I had concerns but she didn't ask for details nor ask about our stay. I left a voice mail message on the general manager's phone before leaving but received no reply. A follow up e-mail message and another voice mail were also ignored. A call to Hilton's customer service department resulted in a promise of a reply from the hotel within 3 business days. No reply has been received over 7 business days later. It is obvious the hotel GM doesn't care or doesn't take complaints seriously. All I wanted was to make the GM aware of these issues and perhaps receive a simply apology. It's now well beyond that point now. Hopefuly this is an isolated incident as the hotel is nicely located and is attractive but for me the lack of concern raises a big red flag.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Pensacola
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Hotel is near I-75 and right next door to an upscale outdoor mall (though it is not full).

We stay in many Homewood Suite hotels and this one is better than most in all respects. Very clean and the staff is pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location. In the warmer months a room facing the pool or basketball area can be no...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I stayed here twice in the past year - both times were totally happy. Room was large and comfy. Pool and hot tub were great. Breakfast was, well.. hotel breakfast, but it was hot and staff was very friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed at the Homewood Suites in Ocala on our way to Orlando, where we were staying at a on-site deluxe property at a major theme park. I wish I could have transplanted this Homewood Suites to our Orlando destination. This hotel is meticulously maintained. The staff is warm and friendly and is extremely professional. I spend approximately 75 nights per year at hotels in a comparable price range and similar level of amenties. This is by far the best property I have patronized. Hilton needs to model their property management training program after this facility.

The rooms are very spacious and cleaned to perfection. The bedding was fresh and clean and very comfortable. I even used the bedspread to cover up at this hotel (that never happens anywhere else). Complimentary breakfast contained a good variety of hot and cold selections and was very good.

Overall an awesome hotel!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I took our three grandchildren to visit Silver Springs and decided to stay at Homewood Suites. We were very pleased with the size of the rooms. We had a two bedroom suite with living room which had a nice comfortable fold out bed. With the fold out bed and two bedrooms everyone had a good night's sleep. The bedding was fresh and clean. Up to date and the matresses are comfortable. The kitchen is quite adequate for long stays. They have a free breakfast bar. It was also adequate for our bunch. The only thing I missed on the breakfast bar was fruit. In most hotels that have the free breakfast bar they have fruit. The pool is absolutely wonderful. The three grand kids had a great time. I used the hot spa. The water felt wonderful after a long day of walking. Homewood is worth staying at if you plan on staying a few days. Silver Springs takes about two days to go through and Homewood is like coming home. I loved the security they have. You must use a card to enter all areas. Plenty of eating places all around. The rates were reasonable considering that we had five of us in the suite and we had plenty of room. The free breakfast makes it a great value. It is located in a very safe area which is another plus. When my family checked out and we were on our way home I got a call from the Homewood suites front desk. They told me I had left my lap top in the room. We were still in the area and were able to turn around and retrieve it. Their rapid response in contacting me saved me a lot of anguish. A great staff and very professional. Friendly too.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JYDV
HomewoodSuitesSocial, Social Media Manager at Homewood Suites Ocala at Heath Brook, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Hi JYDV,

Thanks for the great review! We appreciate the kind words about our staff and hotel and want to thank you for the feedback about including fruit on the breakfast menu. We were happy to help return the laptop. Hope to see you again soon if you return to the area.

Thanks!