“work out the kinks....”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - Ocala Conference Center
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Shortly after a major snowstorm in New England, I had spent half the day shoveling, so after my long trip to Florida, I was eager to try the indoor hot tub, provided by the hotel. Much to my dismay, the hot tub was unavailable, due to a reconstruction issue.

Seeing the disappointment in my face, the front dest manager offered an upgrade, to a room with a hot tub, for about $25 more a day. Although it was stretching the budget, I did take the room. They give you a gift box with two bottles of water and some cookies, a nice gesture.

Inside, the hotel lobby is dimly lit, but with a beautiful Asian decor. Comfortable seating, dramatic lights, a large bed hanging in front of the TV, a see-thru elevator, accomodating 6 floors of rooms.

The room was painted in a bright turquoise, soft brown and white bedding with botanical prints on the walls. An unusual and welcoming combination for a hotel. The room came with a refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker. There was a desk and my hot tub, although the jets were weak, it still felt good. It was nice to enjoy the hot tub, in the privacy of my own room.

The mattress was a Tempepedic and wonderfully comfortable. The air-conditioning, however, was another story. All through the night, it ran on high, making the room too cold to sleep. I called the front desk and they told me that it was only controlled by the thermostat on the wall. Still, I could not get the fan to turn to low. Frustrated, I fixed it by turning it off completely. But that meant that there was no air flow during the night.

In the morning, as I awoke at 6AM, I got ready for my shower. After running the water for 10 minutes, it was only lukewarm and the pressure was soft. I informed the front desk and they sent a handy man up at 9AM. By that time the water temps were better. The second day, the temps were still warm, but my the third day, everything was fine.

Breakfast is not included in the hotel room rate, but it should be. The meal was tasty and hot, much better fare than the hotels that serve food buffet style. It was a bit expensive to do every day, the lighting too dark to read the newspaper. I didn't get the chance to try out the in house Asian Fusion restaurant, so I can't offer an opinion.

All in all, I would try this hotel again, hoping the reconstruction of the hot tub is complete and they have worked out the kinks in the air conditioning and shower. The staff was accomodating and pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
GMOcala, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - Ocala Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for sharing to us your very detailed feedback. It gives us great joy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and has even expressed a desire to visit us again. We apologize for the maintenance issues, rest assured that we will deliver a far better service the next time you stay with us. We appreciate the positive remarks you said regarding our hotel staff services as well as our room facilities and the meal served. We will work harder to iron out the deficiencies and provide you an excellent experience. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed for a night and never had to leave the building. 6th floor room so even the restaurant was just down the hall. Excellent in-hotel restaurant and very nice lobby/entrance. Would've liked a clock/radio with an iPod connection so I could have music options and would def like a bar of soap for both the sink/shower, but other than that loved the place and would def go back again.

Room Tip: 6th floor (top) was great.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate the time you took to write us your feedback. It brings us great joy to know that you had a pleasant experience while staying with us. We aim to give you a far better experience and address the minor concerns that you raised should you choose to stay with us again soon. We look forward to be of service to you again.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The hotel is a modern asian decor and convenient to I-75,shopping and restaurants. The staff is helpful and friendly. The bed was comforable and the room was large with a microwave, mini refrig, wet bar, and plenty of cabinets with a few paper goods for convenience. The separate living room has a sofa bed, dresser and TV - it's like having a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment. My suite had some maintenance issues though. It took a long time for the hot water to come up, the toilet was stopped up, but maintenance responded promptly, the paint job was sloppy, the bedroom ceiling was water damaged, and only one bar of soap was left, which was awkward to share between the shower and sink. The shower was a walk-in/around the corner that didn't need a door or curtain, but the entrance floor (dry-off area) was very spongy and I could hear water squishing underneath. It would be nice to have towel hooks in this area. The bathroom door opens in and was always in the way. The coffee and supplies were not replenished and the coffee pot was not cleaned daily. Breakfast is not available until 7AM, but there is a pantry. Unfortunately, they do not sell yogurt or cereal and I woke up the desk clerk at 5 AM when I went to purchase something to eat. I was told the fitness center was open 24 hours, but when I went to use it at 4:45 AM it was locked. The desk clerk was getting off the elevator and opened it for me, but told me it didn't open until 6AM. It was sparsely furnished as it was a temporary location while remodeling. I hope they add new equipment to the new location, as the current equipment is old. Room service was prompt, but the menu included some unusual items and is mostly aisian foods. Newspapers are not deliverd to the room, but are at the front desk. I don't think there are many really nice hotels in Ocala, and this is probably the best for the area.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 02 are at end of hall and near elevator
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
GMOcala, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - Ocala Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing this detailed and wonderful feedback. Our customer voice is a lot important to us. We learn from our customers and we always strive hard to provide impeccable service and great accommodation. We admit that we have opportunities to improve and we are happy that you have brought this up to our attention. This will serve as a great help for us to provide services like no other hotels can offer. We are looking forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is beautiful! The ambiance is fantastic- perfect location and amazing beds! They have THE most comfortable beds ever! I was completely impressed with the service! I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Ocala!

Room Tip: We stayed in 202- It faces the pool, has a king size bed in the bedroom and a fullsize pullout couch...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
GMOcala, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - Ocala Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are so flattered with your feedback. It is such a great feeling for you had a wonderful stay at Holiday Inn and Suites. Our perfect location, comfortable beds and great customer service staff are our best assets. We assure you that we will always provide you services like no other hotels hotels can offer. Thank you also for recommending our hotel. We can wait to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

As expected the bed was great , however the "fitness room" was a joke. To start with its a tiny room, but the equipment was cheap and two out of three machines were not working properly.
They did provide water and cookies on arrival and the room itself was nice and clean. The internet was also very fast.
The only other negative was a loud AC. A Common problem in many hotel rooms but not at the Hilton Ocala.
The front desk did tell me the fitness room was going to be overhauled but couldnt say when.
Next trip I'm 50:50 between them and the Hilton.

As Im there to sleep this is still and good choice.

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your time in writing us your feedback. We apologize for some inconveniences that you have experienced. We always make sure that we provide our customers a comfortable stay and accessible location. This feedback serves as a tool for us to further improve our services for us to better serve in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was attending a seminar for the weekend and stayed here through the seminar..was I surprised ,the lobby was amazing ,the rooms were clean,the front desk,very friendly,which to me is a major plus. The bed was heavenly.

Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that you had a wonderful weekend stay at our hotel. It is always our goal to provide our valued customers like you a world class location, comfortable stay and great accommodation. We are looking forward to having you here again at Holiday Inn & Suites. Thank you.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

stayed one night on our road trip. clean, nice room. fast free wi-fi. we liked the Asian inspired lobby, it reminded us of Thailand. clese to interstate, easy on and off. lots of restaurants close by.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing us about your wonderful experience at Holiday Inn & Suites. It is such a great feeling to know that you had an awesome time staying with us. We assure that we will maintain our clean and cozy environment and impeccable services. We hope to serve you again in the future. Thank you.