“Fancy decor doesn't hide flaws”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - Ocala Conference Center
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kelowna, Canada
“Fancy decor doesn't hide flaws”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

On first impression, this is a beautifully designed hotel. However, the cool decor didn't help us from having to listen to the noisy bar 200 feet from our door. Definitely not for weary travelers looking to sleep - it's more for partyers. Although we had a kitchenette, the only thing in it was a few styrofoam bowls and plates and one measly pot holder. Not even plastic cutlery or a can opener! I guess they want you to eat in their restaurant. I wouldn't bring children here. I saw a few comments from other trip advisors about the poor service and I can see what they mean. The woman at the front desk was bordering on curt and seemed completely unsympathetic that our reservation got screwed up. She did not crack even one welcoming smile, despite the fact that we are staying for a week AND are Priority Club Platinum members. However, the other man was polite and gave us a discount off a suite.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
jaswartz, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - Ocala Conference Center, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to write a review on our hotel. I do apologize that the service and amenities were not to the level that you expected but am glad that our front desk was able to help you out on your suite accommodation rate. I would also like to thank you for your kind words on the design and décor of the hotel.

We do have two Restaurant/Bars in the hotel, with Cypress Shadows Café now being closed for dinner/bar services because of new summer hours. And unfortunately sometimes these restaurant patrons are having such a great time that they take it a little far on the noise. Our staff does try their best to make sure that we allow these guests to still have a wonderful and fun time in our Restaurant/Bars while keeping the noise to a non distracting level.

I hope that next time you are in our area that you will allow us another opportunity to show you the great hotel and great customer service that we are known for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Spent two nights in a king suite. The room was very spacious and the bed (tempurpedic) was comfy. The bathroom wasn't as luxurious as I was expecting (just your standard hotel bathroom), but was clean. It was nice to have two rooms to spread out - and two large, flat screen tv's. The decor was modern - bright turquoise, lime green and dark, chocolate wood. The room was absolutely dark, which made sleeping very restful. And, although it is right next to I-75, because of the double-glazed windows, I never heard traffic. The lobby was full of intimate seating areas with great lounge chairs and what appeared to be an egg-shapped-canopied-cushioned-seating-area. It was very interesting. The hot tub and sauna area was great. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel. I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our spacious King Suites and that it afforded you a great nights rest.

I would also like to thank you for pointing out our very unique lobby and its décor, including the egg shaped lounge area that we have recently added. It is definitely a hit for all of our hotel and Sky Asian Fusion guests, including being a picture hot spot for everyone who brings a camera with them!

Your recommendation of our hotel means the world to us and we look forward to your next visit to Ocala!
Seville OH
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We really enjoyed our one night stay at the Holiday Inn / Conf. Center Ocala FL on March 31st 2012. We thought the hotels decor was amazing! We stayed in a beautiful suite (607). It was VERY large with a full kitchen table/chairs, fridge & microwave. It also had the most amazing bed! You just melted into it! I didnt want to wake up the next morning! We have kids, so of course we just had to check out the pool & hot tub. They werevery clean& enjoyable! Everyone at the front desk & in the restaurant were super kind. In fact the day after I left, I realized I had left 3 swimsuits in our rooms bathroom, and they assured me they had them in safe keeping! I was able to pick them up over a week later on our way home from vacation. I would highly recomend this hotel. Having stayed at many Holiday Inns across the US, this one really stood out.

Room Tip: Room 607 is amazing! Great Hotel!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Wonderful comments like yours are always great to hear, and I thank you for sharing them with us. I’m glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our Executive King Suite (607). That is definitely one of our great suites which offers plenty of room along with a TempurPedic mattress, which all our rooms amd suites feature. We also do have a Poker Hospitality Room that can adjoin with the Executive King Suite, if you decide to rent that suite again on any future return trips and want some more space.

I’m also glad you were able to find some time to utilize our outdoor pool and indoor hot tub and thank you for your kind words about our hotel staff. I will make sure I pass on to them the great job they are doing.

Next time you get the opportunity to visit Ocala, we would love the opportunity for you and your family to come back and visit with us!
Canton, GA
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We were driving to Ft. Laud. for a cruise and due to traffic, had to stop in Ocala rather than Ft. Pierce as planned. It was a very busy night for the hotel industry. We searched for over an hour for a hotel that had 2 Queen beds & booked online at the Holiday Inn web site for $136. We arrived 2 hours later and only a handicapped room-king bed with a sleeper sofa was available. Our girls are teenagers and had to sleep together on a sofa bed. It was fine for 1 night and it was too late to go elsewhere. Front desk staff were very nice. But at this point, we would have been completely satisfied if offered a 1 night voucher for future use or a partial refund.
They did give us a breakfast voucher to compensate. Next morning, we were in a hurry & wish it was self serve rather than sit down service. After we were seated our waitress argued about the voucher. My husband went to the front desk & they wrote "4"on it. Handed it again to the waitress. She was so rude and said No, this is only supposed to be for 1 and stormed off to the front desk. She returned and said OK but Gratuities are NOT included. No apology & she seemed stressed. Then she was arguing with another waitress right in front of her guests, knocked over a chair, never bothered to pick it up. Returned smelling of smoke. Now we are sitting and waiting for our food forever. She informed us that the chef was very confused. Only 5 tables with guests, 2 waitresses and no one had food. I heard her say to another table, well, I guess I have to comp yours also and they looked embarrassed. When our order finally arrived, we had to ask for a take out box. We were very late for our cruise. Not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
jaswartz, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - Ocala Conference Center, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I sincerely apologize for
the service issues that you experienced with one of our restaurants, Cypress Shadows Café. Since your last visit with us some changes have been made to that restaurant, and I can assure you that you, or any other guest, will not experience those customer service issues again.

We at the Holiday Inn & Suites – Ocala Conference Center pride ourselves in our customer service and are dedicated to making sure each guest has a wonderful stay. Next time you are in our area, I hope you allow us to again show you what a great hotel we have to offer and also show you what a great restaurant Cypress Shadows Café can be for your morning breakfast needs.
Reviewed April 3, 2012

The sky Asian was the theme of this hotel and the decor was fantastic the beds and pillow was the best part I didn't have so much time in the hotel but customer was okay and the place was piecefull

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave us your very kind review. We take a lot of pride in the uniqueness of our Holiday Inn, including the décor of our lobby and having Tempur-Pedic Deluxe mattresses in every room and suite. Also thank you for noticing that the set-up of our lobby, including our player piano that fills our lobby with music, does make for a very peaceful atmosphere.

Next time you’re in our area I hope you have a little more time to spend at our hotel so we may again show you the superior service, accommodations and restaurants that our hotel has to offer.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at this location in January 2012 for 2 nights and all I can say is "WOW". this place is absolutely breathtaking, the minute you walk through those doors, it takes you back to happy times. The staff is very nice and the rooms and lobby are the ,"The Traveler's Dream". I love this hotel. I did not get to dine in but there is very upscale dining at this hotel. This location is very close to shopping malls right of 1-75 and SR 200. Being a priority member, I rate this hotel a 6 star. If you are in the Ocala, Florida area this hotel is a " MUST STAY." I assure you, you may never want to leave this amazing hotel. "AWESOME".

Room Tip: I'm sure you will love everything about this hotel. Being a PClub Member and former employee fo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sandra j
jaswartz, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - Ocala Conference Center, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
It is always great to here these wonderful comments from our guests; thank you for your very kind words. I will pass this along to our ownership, management and staff so they know how great of a job they are doing.

Next time you are with us though, please make sure you set aside an evening to have dinner at Sky Asian Fusion, our 6th floor restaurant. They have had the privilege of winning a Golden Spoon Award for 2 straight years and offer a tremendous cuisine!

Thank you again for your very encouraging comments and we look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Ocala.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Recommended: You will not be disappointed!

I'm a retired "road warrior" and know the difference between good and bad places to stay!!!

Updated, Clean, convenient (just off I-75 - but quiet), with plenty of amenities included and nearby: Hot breakfast included as well a evening manager's reception (wine, beer, cocktails).

Many times you find that you are disappointed in getting to a 3.5 Star Rated Property and it isn't (Ramada Inns are infamouse for this!).

Be aware that the property is a little difficult to find with an older GPS

Room Tip: Got me a very good deal on Priceline bidding on a 3.5 Star Property in Ocala.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 999Clarke123
jaswartz, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - Ocala Conference Center, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you very much for kind words about your recent hotel stay. Unfortunately I’m not sure if you stayed with our hotel. We do offer a fresh, hot breakfast from one of our two restaurants, but it normally is not included with the room rental unless you had booked a Best for Breakfast rate.

We also do not offer a Complimentary Managers Reception, however we do have 2 bars/restaurants (including one in our main lobby) open on the weekend which are full service bars. If it does turn out that you did stay with us and these above items are what you experienced, thank you very much! If not, I would definitely make sure you forward your response onto the correct hotel as I’m sure they would love the great feedback on their hotel.

Thank you again if you did choose to stay with our hotel during your recent trip. If not, please consider our hotel for any future visits to Ocala so we may show you the great rooms, restaurants and great service that we have to offer.