“Great ambience, great pizza, worth the drive away from I-75”

Abios Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed April 4, 2013

While we waited for our Abio's special pizza, (thanks for putting all the anchovies on MY side of the pizza, where I wanted them!), we heard the locals chat about basketball and movies. This small pizzeria has a local feel, but we were welcomed and thoroughly enjoyed the place as well as the very cheesy (in only the best sense) pizza.

1  Thank SORBA1

Reviewed March 28, 2013

It is simply because the food is really that good.

Why not?

Al just received the vote for best pizza in Ocala and has been making pies here since 1979. He makes other things too that are delicious and filling. Abio's calzones are legendary and the antipasto salad is meant to be shared.

We ordered a medium pepperoni pizza for my 15 year old eating machine, aka: my son, a medium super special for me and my wife and an antipasto salad to boot.

The salad was extremely tasty, I had not had Peperoncini peppers in much too long.The portion was huge and even splitting the salad in two, we had leftovers for the next day.

The pizzas were perfectly cooked and we had to wait to let the pies cool a bit before serving.

You can have a beer, glass of wine, grab a coke, share stories with one special other in the cozy booths or laugh up a storm with your larger group.

However, to note, the dining area is not big, nor is the restaurant, which makes for a more personal experience, the authentic.

The atmosphere is a treasure. This is the original mom and pop pizza place. Al tells some awesome jokes, your welcome there and with your spirits lifted, you can leave feeling full and with a smile on your face... I know I did!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I wanted to have pizza for dinner. We decided to try Abio's, since we have been sorely disappointed with Little Joey's and Sammy's pizza, and don't enjoy "chain" pizza. We basically like our pizza "ATW", but thin and crispy, and I like Ricotta on my half. This is extremely difficult to find in Ocala. Initially, the owner here was not going to do it, either, but ultimately decided to please me, his customer. In so doing, not only did he satisfy his customer by granting an "out of the ordinary" request, but made the best tasting "ATW Ricotta" thin and crispy pizza that I have ever tasted!!!! Thanks Al DiFeo, for making me, your customer, very happy. ;D You rock!!!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'd been there lots before and always had their pizza which by the way is marvelous! This day I ordered their italian sub. Fantastick is the only way to describe it. Other that the fact that I got ragged on because I was wearing a University of Miami shirt and the owner went to FSU, I took the ribbing in stride and asked him if FSU had a basketball team!

The food there is terrific and I'll always return....next time with a Gator shirt on!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

You can't go wrong with any food purchased here! Pizza and calzone are the best! You even get a little comedy show when Al is on a roll- some of the jokes are corny, but the interaction is great! We have been going to Abios since forever and will continue to do so!!