“A pleasant dining experience”

Sams St Johns Seafood
Ranked #53 of 498 Restaurants in Ocala
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

A noontime stop while traveling. I had the special of the day - pollock fillet - I ordered it grilled. Wife had fried shrimp - she counted 13 - she must have liked them because she only let me have 3 of them off her plate. The baked potato was baked to my wife's liking . . . This does not always happen at other restaurants. The cheese grits were memorably good, as we're the okra & tomatoes and the yellow rice. Angie, our waitress, was very good at her job. We were happy we stopped there.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Summing up to begin: When my wife and I complained at the end of the meal, the waitress told us that he was a new chef and we should "cut him a break". An example - there were oyster shell fragments mixed with the batter of the fried oysters. The fish filet fell apart, did not look fried and looked very wet in the center. We will never eat here again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

There were ten of us, traveling in a caravan of motor homes, that descended on this restaurant on Wednesday at 6 PM. It was a superior experience. All of us were happy with their selections. I had a dinner size broiled whole catfish. The plate came with three fresh smallish catfish, bones-in and with tail, scored, buttered and broiled - delicious. Cole slaw was among the best. The service was competent and good. The menu had many choices of seafood and you can select from two entree sizes: medium and large. The waitress cheerfully brought each couple their dinner check. No white table cloths or fancy cocktails. Good food, a big selection of beer, served cold and adequate bar service. The price for well prepared seafood was most reasonable. If that combination appeals, you'll do well to visit this place where locals go.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having husbands with birthdays just a few days apart, my friend and I decided to treat the guys to a Birthday Feast at the restaurant of their choice.
Being as we were celebrating on a weekend, the guys did not want to fight traffic on "Restaurant Row" on a Saturday night. They decided on St. John's Seafood on Hwy 441N, which is close to both our homes.
We started with an appetizer of Fried Green Tomatoes, enough for the 4 of us, humm good!
My husband choose Fried Catfish as his entree, my friend's husband went for the Surf and Turf,
Shrimp (any way you like) an a 12 oz. Sirloin, My friend loves their Stuffed Flounder. All entrees include two sides, your choice of. I myself, am very partial to their "Blackened Salmon" ( even tastes better than the place that "sees seafood differently") their version is two nice sized portions of Salmon plus the two sides and hushpuppies the size of golf balls. There was enough fish that I ate one portion, took the other one plus my baked potato home for the next day. (You can have the Salmon cooked any way you like but I just love the seasoning on the grilled, Blackened version.)
The service was prompt, the place was packed, and the waitress came back to check on us often. All in all a very satisfying experience. We'll be back often as their prices are very reasonable and the food delicious.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Good American fare at very reasonable prices. Really nice job with the sides all taste as though made from scratch on premises. Restrooms a little toward dirty side. Great value.