“Fresh seafood for the frugal traveler”

Sams St Johns Seafood
Ranked #49 of 489 Restaurants in Ocala
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed March 14, 2013

There were ten of us, traveling in a caravan of motor homes, that descended on this restaurant on Wednesday at 6 PM. It was a superior experience. All of us were happy with their selections. I had a dinner size broiled whole catfish. The plate came with three fresh smallish catfish, bones-in and with tail, scored, buttered and broiled - delicious. Cole slaw was among the best. The service was competent and good. The menu had many choices of seafood and you can select from two entree sizes: medium and large. The waitress cheerfully brought each couple their dinner check. No white table cloths or fancy cocktails. Good food, a big selection of beer, served cold and adequate bar service. The price for well prepared seafood was most reasonable. If that combination appeals, you'll do well to visit this place where locals go.

There are newer reviews for Sams St Johns Seafood

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having husbands with birthdays just a few days apart, my friend and I decided to treat the guys to a Birthday Feast at the restaurant of their choice.
Being as we were celebrating on a weekend, the guys did not want to fight traffic on "Restaurant Row" on a Saturday night. They decided on St. John's Seafood on Hwy 441N, which is close to both our homes.
We started with an appetizer of Fried Green Tomatoes, enough for the 4 of us, humm good!
My husband choose Fried Catfish as his entree, my friend's husband went for the Surf and Turf,
Shrimp (any way you like) an a 12 oz. Sirloin, My friend loves their Stuffed Flounder. All entrees include two sides, your choice of. I myself, am very partial to their "Blackened Salmon" ( even tastes better than the place that "sees seafood differently") their version is two nice sized portions of Salmon plus the two sides and hushpuppies the size of golf balls. There was enough fish that I ate one portion, took the other one plus my baked potato home for the next day. (You can have the Salmon cooked any way you like but I just love the seasoning on the grilled, Blackened version.)
The service was prompt, the place was packed, and the waitress came back to check on us often. All in all a very satisfying experience. We'll be back often as their prices are very reasonable and the food delicious.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Good American fare at very reasonable prices. Really nice job with the sides all taste as though made from scratch on premises. Restrooms a little toward dirty side. Great value.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We had eaten here several years ago and were very pleased, nothing has changed. I had a senior portion of Haddock, baked potato and cold slaw, all excellent. My husband had all you can eat fried shrimp it was fresh, butterflied and fried to perfection. If we get another chance this will be our restaurant of choice.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have eaten at 3 different Sam St. John's restaurants in the Ocala, Fl area. My husband and I keep going back because you get good value for your money. This place is nothing fancy, but you can get anything from fried shrimp to our favorite, grilled Mahi Mahi. Lunch is an especially good deal. You get your selection of sea food with 2 sides and hush puppies, most are under $10.