Golden Palms Inn & Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsupgraded roomsrecommend this hotelenjoyed my staynice roomfireplacejacuzzigeorgehighway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 7, 2013

After driving for hours and hours, my wife and I and our daughter decided to stop for the night in Ocala on the way to Disney World. It was about 1:30 AM, and finding a motel was proving to be a problem. According to the sign outside there was a vacancy, and to top it off, there was a price on the lighted sign that said Jacuzzi Room $59.00. I didn't care if the room had that feature or not, but the price seemed right. I pulled in, and was told that that was the weekly room rate for that room. Our room on the bottom floor wound up costing about $80. Still not bad, so I didn't argue.

We got to our "beautiful" room on the bottom floor, and the first thing I noticed was the smell of moth balls in the room. There were cracks on the walls, shadows on the walls from where old furniture was taken out, and replaced, the floor was sticky and had marks on it from where old furniture used to be, and a lamp that scared us to touch because it was so broken up we were afraid we would get electrocuted. We were so tired that we decided to stay anyway. We settled in to our brick hard beds and smelly pillows, and fell asleep after tossing and turning.

At about 6:00 AM, we were awoken to the sound of pounding. It turns out that someone was WALKING on the second floor, and it was so loud it sounded like a sledgehammer being hit against our wall. Since we couldn't sleep anyway, my wife decided to take a shower. The water was so cold, she jumped right out, and tried to turn it off. The handle just went around in circles, and the water just stayed on. I finally was able to turn it down a little, but not off.

Tired, shower-less, and hungry, I went to the lobby with my family. I told the woman behind the desk about our horrendous experience, and that I wasn't able to take a shower in our moth ball smelling, sticky carpet, cruddy mess of a room, and she told me that that was a new one on her! She said " I never heard anyone complain about the smell of moth balls". Apparently, all of the rest was normal. I asked for a refund, or at least money off, but was told that it would have to be approved by the manager, and he wasn't in.

My wife and daughter went to get some of the breakfast that was offered (stale pastries and other unappetizing things). I have never been to a place where continental breakfast is served, where the beverages cost money, until now! My daughter wanted water, and I was told that it wasn't free. I finally went back to the room to pack up, and I went online to see if there were any warnings about this place. Wish I would have seen this site beforehand! I went back to the lobby after reading about how people NEVER get their money back, and I told the clerk not to bother having the manager call me because I saw how they have treated others in the past. I decided to do the next best thing; write my own review, and warn other people to NEVER make the mistake of going to this dump.

My wife and I lived in a hotel for about 6 weeks after Hurricane Katrina, and we have stayed in a lot of dumps along the way, but none that compare to this. Someone mentioned earlier that it should be called the "RAT MOTEL". I can honestly say that I didn't see any rats (not that I looked), but I would imagine that they would have left for better accommodations by now. In fact, when I checked in, a pick-up truck was leaving, and the desk clerk said that a man had slept in his truck for awhile. I guess he knew he would have better lodging in his truck than in one of the rooms.

If someone gives this place a glowing review, it's probably because they were homeless, just got out of prison, crazy, on drugs, or they were put up to it by the owner. My guess is the last one.

Room Tip: Like "Fear-Factor"? Stay here!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank bp7500
yasmin t, Front Office Manager at Golden Palms Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

I am sorry that we did not respond to you complain earlier but I did investigating on your complain and did talk to the front desk who was working in the morning and she said that we have a water fountain in the lobby and the vending machine with sodas and water an not free the coffee and the tea does go with the breakfast and yoghurt and orange juice along with the donuts and bagels and cereals are part of the breakfast bar we do have eggs as well on the weekend .
I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay we do have all Serta Mattress and we do not get any complain on the mattress being hard the only phrase I have heard the guest say I slept like a baby.
We can always strive to improve and always try and make your stay as pleasant as possible

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This place was probably a 1950's Holiday Inn (based on design and layout)..............now it is a poor excuse for a place to be called an inn, We paid $139.00 for a room that was the equivalent of some $30.00 a night places we have stayed at.

Why did we pay that much and stay there??? We had been on the road for a long day and had checked several places only to find them full.......our choice was to take what was available or continue stopping at places that were full. We now know why this place had rooms available.

I inquired about a ground level room when checking in.......I was told that I could be "upgraded" for an additional $10.00!!!

And, their "breakfast" was deplorable............my wife peeled a hard-boiled egg and I would not let her eat it.............the egg was shades of light brown and yellow. The coffee was terrible...........we quickly gave up and moved on.

Upon checkout I commented to the manager about the price ................his response was that it was due to the "time of the year"................what a dishonest, gouging, place this is in our opinions.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gold-vintner
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night and will never ever stay again. We expected a room that was worth the $90 we were extremely disappointed. The room smelled like crap! I took one of the pillow cases off and was grossed out with the slobber and God knows what else stains on the pillow protector. There were cracks in the walls and all around the bottom of the bathroom wall, the towels were old and scratchy and not enough towels. The bedding is old and gross, the beds and pillows are old and gross. I was petrified to look under the sheets. To top it all off there was no inside privacy lock on the door and in the morning the cleaning lady walked in me and I had just gotten out of the shower,(she did knock and I said "We are still here!", but I guess she didn't hear me!!), all I could do was cover what I could and my face with embarrassment. That was very upsetting. I didn't complain at the front desk because I was so embarrassed. Point blank the worst experience of my life. Don't let the front of this establishment fool you it was no better than one of those shady $29.99 rooms!!!! Disgusted,Disappointed and Embarrassed!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
6  Thank jleebeen
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Got here took the upgrade which ment a flat screen tv. Pool was full of dirt. They had a tiki bar that hasn't been used in years. Breakfast was stale donuts or English muffins. Staff was pleasent but for $99 plus tax we could have stayed at the Hampton inn. If they put some time into maintaing they property it could be as they advertise.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were passing through Ocala headed to South FL from Tallahassee after a late start and decided to crash. Somehow every hotel in the city was booked solid. Hampton Inn folks recommended this hotel. Because of their availability and our previous experiences with hotels we totally expected it to be a dump. We were very surprised to find that this is a great hotel. Our room was very clean, the bed very comfortable and an excellent shower with great pressure. I found the staff to be extremely courteous and helpful and the rates were very reasonable. Would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business