“Great family day trip!!”
Review of Petting Zoo Ocala

Petting Zoo Ocala
Ranked #16 of 68 things to do in Ocala
More attraction details
Owner description: Petting Zoo Ocala offers a variety of kid-friendly farm animals for viewing, petting and feeding. A stroll through the barn gives visitors an opportunity to meet alpacas, llamas,camels, lamurs, squirrel monkeys, goats and a few of our other barnyard friends. Some highlights of the zoo include: goats, pigs, horses, sheep, ducks, donkeys, emus and peacocks just to name a few. Come and meet all our four-legged, furry and feathered friends! Pony rides and camel rides are available for an extra fee. Picnic area, Bounce house and play area are included in the entry price.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Brought the family here on the Monday before New Years specifically so that our 4 year old could have her first Pony ride. We had looked at the website and saw the pictures and were really looking forward to the visit, but we did not know what to expect. To make it short this place exceeded expectations.

We drove up and parked and the first thing we saw were a pair of Zebras eating hay in the front area next to the parking lot. My daughter loved looking at the Zebras and was an excellent kick-off. So we went and paid the admission, which was reasonable for our family. The owner made the point of saying that we could basically walk the full depth of the property to look at all the animals.

We started off at the barn which contained the Emus, Pigs, and Peacocks. The guttural sound the Emus make is interesting, I would not have expected that sound from a bird. Next we walked around towards the petting area, the first thing that was offered was an opportunity to pet the rabbits. Now this might seem like a small detail, but rabbits are so soft and my daughter loved it and those of you with kids know that it is the little things that are important.

The petting area itself is pretty clean (for a farm) I think the people at this place try to keep the cow patties to a minimum so I can say walking all over this area did not leave me in any big piles of poo, goat pellets yes, cow patties no. The petting area contained goats, ponies, and a cow all of whom were pretty well mannered. No one in my group got bit, rammed, or eaten clothes by the goats. If you want all the animals to come to you quickly simply bring in some food ($0.50 at the concession stand) and you will have a barnyard full of friends. It is worth stating the cow, ponies, and goats were all really friendly.

The pony ride was nice and consisted of an oval around the front of the property on a white pony named Pablo, thank you Pablo. The owner led the pony herself and our daughter had a great time.

Other opportunities to view animals with limited contact (that is to say standing at a fence line and hope the animal comes to you) included Camels, Horses, Alpacas, Donkeys, Llamas, Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese and more. I was actually impressed that there were small chickens walking around the property that you could walk up and pet. Please note, that they serve animal feed at the concession stand and at 25-cent vending machines. I wish I had brought more quarters for when we were on the back of the property. I am also pleased to say that the camel did not live up to the usual camel reputation, he was friendly, soft, and did not spit.

Once your little children get their fill of looking at and petting animals this farm has a small playset and bounce house set-up which any child under 8 would probably love. Other features of this location are picnic tables which one could use for a packed-in lunch which are located under a nice shade canopy. Additionally, this location has a small concession stand which serves soda, water, popcorn, nachos, ice cream, and other small items. They also operate a small gift shop with many of small items which would make great family gifts to remember the visit.

The only item to note is that the only restroom facility I saw was a Porta-Potty. We did not visit this during our visit, but I would assume it is not bad. If this is a problem for your family then you might want to plan you trip accordingly.

All-in-all I was expecting something much smaller and what I got was a multi-acre farm with a lot of animals that my daughter loved visiting. The owner and staff were all courteous and accommodating and the animals were friendly. Additionally the bounce-house provided a well rounded value The experience far exceeded the price of admission and I would recommend this place to anyone looking to have a couple-hour family outing.

I would like to say thank you to the great people here who made this an excellent visit.

10  Thank A S