“The "New Kid" on the Block!”

Blue Highway Pizzeria
Ranked #9 of 493 Restaurants in Ocala
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Blue Highway is a a casual, family-friendly neighborhood restaurant specializing in traditional Neapolitan style pizza and calazones. Small plates, salads, paninis, sandwiches, pastas and desserts are served. A good selection of local craft beer and wine is also available. We take great pride in our culinary culture; serving the highest quality fresh, local, organic (when possible), and expertly prepared food, served with love.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

WOW - new, different, delightful! Ate dinner with friends - expecting the place to be packed, due to the overflowing parking lot - we were pleasantly surprised when we had only a ten minute wait. Beer was cold, wait staff quick and effeicent. Tried a "Carrot & Ginger" soup to start (taste was different) but not what you'd expect - enjoyed it! Also took the Classic Caesar salad to start - no surprises here, but very good too. Then, on to the Pizza - Oh, Boy! - Scampi (thin Crust) pizza. (Now, we're not a lover of thin crust, but I may be a convert here) Shrimp, light garlic with butter, mozzarella, parmesian, and romano cheeses, with shallots and parsley. Only down side our guests had split a calalzone (big) and the inside was tepid - they reheated it and it was great! The marinaro sauce is to die for! Likely the best I've ever had!

3  Thank Gary U

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We ate at the Micanopy restaurant many times and this one is just as good! Almost the same menu but they didn't have my favorite appetizer. The one with the ccheese and all the garlic! The server said they may add it once they get some time with this location up and running. We sat outside and even though it was lunch on a weekday it was not too loud. We will be frequent patrons!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This pizzeria was written up in many local publications before I went to try it for the first time in early June at this new location for this local chain that started in Micanopy, Fl. I must say that it is a first rate place. The pizza (thin-crust meat pie), the Carne Combo was especially well-made. The fresh sausage and sliced Genoa salami were lean. The sauce was just enough, and it did not leak through the crust, which meant it was a thin crispy crust throughout. The side salad (Blue Highway) was good, if a little pricey for the quantity served. They serve both wine and beer here and it is a full-service restaurant with tables (both high and low tops) both inside and outside (covered seating), as well as booth dining inside available. Service was good, and the kitchen provided quick service. I'm definitely returning to try other dishes here (they also serve sandwiches, small plates and pasta dishes).

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We recently went with a large social group. We ordered several different types of pizzas and appetizers. All the food served was outstanding. Our waiter was wonderful. Hard to believe they just opened in the Ocala area. They were running a tight ship !

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We stopped at this pizzeria last Friday not too long after their grand opening earlier in the week. It was around 2:30 in the afternoon but it was crowded. We heard a waitress tell another couple that at lunchtime and dinner there are long lines and a waiting time. The owners fixed up the old Arby's building so we locals know there is some room but not a large amount of it. There is a small bar area, a limited amount of booths and some tables. There is also a small amount of outdoor seating if you can handle the heat. The inside of the restaurant the day we went was cold. My husband was uncomfortable but I was alright because I had brought along a cardigan. We each ordered a thin crust pizza (size-12 inches is my guess) with one topping ($1 extra for what we ordered). I had a soft drink and husband ordered ice tea. It took awhile to get our food but we were patient. It was good but nothing to rave about. There was a fair amount of each topping and the mix of cheeses was nice. It was not overly spicy but the crust on both of our pizzas was overdone. The best word to describe it was crunchy. We had to ask the waitress to refill our drinks and bring extra napkins. We did leave with a box to take home for another meal.

If you can't wait to come here try to arrive at an off time -OR- wait awhile the novelty of a new restaurant wears off. If not, be prepared to wait awhile. I know others may not like that I am rating this restaurant as average but that is how we felt. With food, drinks, tax and tip we paid roughly $30. I think we just expected more with everything we heard about their other two locations. We might try it again later this year.