“Grits...not enough with Shrimp”
Review of True Grits - CLOSED

True Grits
Cuisines: American
Florida
“Grits...not enough with Shrimp”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Have been here several times and found the b'fast to be really good.
This time I tried the Shrimp & Grits for $6.99....which was delicious,
however they spread the grits "pretty-thin"....after all if the establishment
is about GRITS....hey' come on'....GIVE me some grits!!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank florida213

“Block Checked”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Had high hopes for this restaurant after reading reviews. It is true most of the menu we tried appeared to be home made, but it did not taste above average. At our table we had meatloaf, chicken fried steak, pulled pork sandwich. All of it was just ok and nothing special. The meatloaf had an at least an inch of sweet ketchup. Ribs were tough and pulled pork was not very good. Wont return anytime soon.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank BigSarge99
“Negative”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Host looked like she wanted to work at Hooters and was obnoxious. Service was unbelievably slow, 40 minutes before our sandwiches came out for lunch; we watched two men leave angrily as their lunch finally arrived and they had to pack it up and leave to get back to work and the 'hostess' again showed her miserable side by being sarcastic to them for requesting condiments to go. The bacon on my blt was tooth breaking tough. My partner had the pulled pork which he assured me was much worse than mine. The bun was soggy with a terrible watery sauce. Chips came with both and man were they the worst. Could not get the waitress back to take our money...oh the money, the prices were waaay out of line expensive, $10.95 for a bad blt. Never ever again, no matter how many coupons you print.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank 33Jesse
Ocala, Florida
“Try this if you like grits -- or don't”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We are not lovers of grits, but have found when they are made exceptionally well (Old Pinke House in Savannah and the grit cakes at Harry's in Ocala) they can be very good.
With a dozen grit varieites on the menu, we went to True Grits as a group of six to check it out.
The shrimp and grits are really good. We ordered it with extra cheese for 49 cents more. I ordered them as a side dish to a sandwhich, only to find out that the "side dish" is actually a full serving at half price. So way too much food. This is not made clear on the menu.
When we got home, we said "this can't be hard to make" and we went searching online for recipes. We found one that looked close, and it was 1100 calories per serving! No wonder it was good! So, not something you want to do on a regular basis.
I ordered the North Carolina pulled pork sandwich as the entree. I know NC pulled pork is a vinegar base, but this was too much vinegar for me. My neighbor got the BLT which, according to the menu, has a half-pound of bacon, so we calculated his lunch was around 3,000 calories.
There are more healthful options on the menu, but why bother?
It's a diner atmosphere, western-themed (True Grits = John Wayne, get it?), so not fancy. At the time we went it was open daily for breakfast and lunch and they were experimenting with Saturday dinners.
Anyway, a fun place. Good food, good service, reasonable prices. Worth trying.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank ocalaed_13
Ocala
“Meh...”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Okay service. Got a to go order from them. Walked in, not real busy. Wait staff happened to be at the front of the restaurant. Took my order and then I waited. All the while, multiple wait staff did ask if I was being helped. Other customers had to wait a bit to be asked the same question. One customer waited for a employee to cash them out. He was waiting so long, he looked at me and gave me a "oh well look" put money on the counter and then walked out mumbling something to the effect of "That's why restaur...." That's all I heard. Got back to my office with the order. I guess medium and well done sound alike considering I received the latter of the two. Burger did taste good, sweet potato fries where soggy and cold. Etc, etc. On to the next restaurant...

• Visited July 2013