“Education & beauty”

Gypsy Gold Horse Farm Tour
Ranked #1 of 65 things to do in Ocala
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our founders, the Thompsons, connected over a mutual love of animals, and thereafter discovered an unknown breed of horse, developed by British Gypsies, while traveling through the English countryside. After a four-year journey to understand these horses and the culture that created them, we took part in naming them: the Gypsy Vanner horse. The Gypsy Gold Farm is home to the first 16 registered horses of a breed that's now 5,000 animals strong. Our 40 acre ranch is an educational and cultural oasis, where visitors to Central Florida learn about one of the most colorful and least understood societies on earth and the magical Vanner Horses they envisioned.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 9, 2013

From the time we drove in we enjoyed every minute. Erin met us and made us feel very welcome. Then we met Dennis Thompson, the owner, who was incredibly nice as well. The beginning of the tour was a 45 minute informative session. We learned so much about the history of how the breed came into existence. I would recommend those with younger children make different arrangements for the tour. We learned so much and Dennis was quite a good speaker (and quite funny). The horses were beautiful. We were allowed to feed carrots and pet them as well. I highly recommend this trip. I will be going back!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

From the warm welcome to the informative talk to the tour of many of these incredible horses, I was in my element. The smells, the air, those beautiful eyes and soft noses. I have had my own horses in my younger years and they were beautiful and I love the breed (Saddlebred), but the creation of this very special horse by the Gypsies is beyond imagination. If you just love horses, but have never been around them much, the tour is a treat and an education.

Thanks Bill, for your humor, for your passion and for your continued care of this wonderful breed.

Sally McDonell

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I visited Gypsy Gold Farm this morning. We had a Groupon deal. It was the best local attraction I have been to since moving to the area 7 years ago. The owner is such an interesting man. The tour starts with learning about his life and how he brought these magnificent horses to the US. I learned so much. Truly informative and entertaining. After the lecture we took a tour of the farm. The horses are so friendly and really appear to like people. We got to interact with the many animals on the farm. I can't wait to take our out-of-town guests to Gypsy Gold Farm. It's a very unique experience you won't soon forget. Don't miss it.

1  Thank PenLu
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This was a treat for my 9 year old animal loving granddaughter and she and I loved it. The staff was very informative and friendly. I am going to recommend this to my friends and I will also make a trip back.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I knew nothing about the Gypsy Vanner horses. Dennis is a true storyteller and was fascinating as he told his story about bringing these horses to the US, breeding to improve the line,yet remaining respectful of the people who developed the horses. The farm was lovely, the horses beautiful, and the story amazing. loved the history of the horses' names. (They have a free ranging donkey named Donkey Quiote--Pardon the spelling). If you want a fun morning and to learn some things I doubt you knew, thake the tour.