“No problem with this hotel. Quiet, convenience”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ocala
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
Atlanta
“No problem with this hotel. Quiet, convenience”
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I was nervous about this place because of the mixed reviews. I would rate this place as a clean 3-star. Nothing fancy but Ocala is not a destination, it is a stopping place. Breakfast was a cut above because it included hot options, like fresh waffles and scrambled eggs. Swimming pool was indoors but it was fine with me because it was cool outside at times. Toiletries were luxurious. Fresh baked cookies in the lobby 24/7. Location is great - near a major mall, Starbucks and many inexpensive chain restaurants. Next to the interstate so convenient for a quick snooze on the way to somewhere else. Do not be afraid to stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
New York, NY
Reviewed April 7, 2010

This was a very nice place, although the pool downstairs was out of service on the day we were there. The room and bed were usually the quality found in far more expensive places.
Check in was pleasant, and the lady said I should have their gold card, but only one in ten of the hotels in the chain takes pets. Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annbury
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I have travelled to Ocala 3 times in the last month so I think I can offer a fair opinion on the hotels in this area. Our first trip to Ocala we stayed in this hotel. I stay at Country Inns often and will tell you this was probably the worst one I have stayed in.

On the face it looks like a typical country inn but on the inside its definately an OLD hotel. The indoor pool looked like a 70's throw-back and both of my kids refused to get into it due to its appearance. Its also located right next to the elevator and main hall so every guest gets to watch you "relax".

The room REALLY disappointed though. Again WELL USED. The room is spacious but stained floor, sheets, furniture tell the tale. Our first room (we had to be moved) wasnt AS bad as the 2nd but below CI standards. Our toilets handle broke on Friday night at 8pm or so and I called the front desk to have maintenance come and fix. Well much to my surprise there is no maintenance person available! The young front desk girl spends 5 minutes on the phone with me trying to "diagnose" the problem. I tell her LOOK the handle is BROKEN and it needs to be replaced. She offers to come up to the room and see what she can do. So I am like ok... come on up... Well not to my surprise she cant "fix" the problem and after she goes back downstairs she calls and offers another room on a different floor. Well having to move 2 kids and my wife to another room at 9pm at night after a long day isnt on my list of fun things to do I really didnt have a choice if I wanted a working toilet.

The 2nd room was worse than the first. Same worn room with nastier floors. We had to keep our socks on as the stains on the floor were probably the least of what we needed to be worried about. But hey the toilet worked. We stayed at this hotel for two days which was probably one day too long. I would only stay at this hotel if I was travelling solo and wanted a quick place to rest my head while on my way to somewhere else.

The breakfast was typical Country Inn fair. Not great but if you navigate through some of the choices you can probably make something decent. I found it odd though you needed to have "tickets" to present to eat I guess they have had issues with people who arent staying in the hotel eating (scary).

When I was checking out the clerk asked if I had any issues and I explained what happened but wasnt offered any sort of comp or discount for my troubles. I would have expected more... oh well...

In short I would stay away from this hotel. For about $20 more the Holiday Inn Conference Center is just across the street and is much nicer. It is also owned by the same people to boot. As mentioned above dont let he Country Inn name fool you this is no where near as nice as a Country Inn corporate owned hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Ocala
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Booked the rooms for my brother and mother who was in from New York. Service was great - Grounds very nice looking - Breakfast abundant and tasty - and the inside pool was nice because to me it felt like New York outside. Very good experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Ocala, FL
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Stayed at Country Inn while home renovations occurred, front desk staff Kwame, Sandy, Tiffany and Katrina could not be more accommodating! Friendly and helpful housekeeping staff too. Traveled with dogs, they're welcome here. Very convenient location off I-75 on SR 200, every type of shopping and dining within 3 miles. Would definetly stay again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Indiana
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Front desk employee went above and beyond to help us get settled in our room.
Large suite with plenty of room for the children. Nice pool and hot tub. Restraunts within walking distance.
Signed to become a member they were so nice & helpful.
Thank you Sandy and all staff for a very nice stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I have traveled the world and by far my one night stay at the Ocala location was THE WORST hotel experience of my traveling career. I had no hot water, there was no parking, the hotel had one elevator for the whole hotel, there were no first floor rooms and the staff could care less that I wasn't happy with the hotel; especially the manager who encouraged me to leave; mind you my reservation was for an entire month.

I will NEVER EVER stay at one of their hotels. The staff severely oversold the amenities to this hotel. The breakfast was awful, the rooms were dark and claustrophobic and I had no hot water as well as the location being dangerous with no parking. I feel I should not have had to pay for my one night "stay". I left that morning stressed out wondering where I was going to find a place to stay for the remainder of the month.

Luckily the La Quinta next door had a room available. I am now staying at the La Quinta next door and quite frankly they kick the Country Inn & "suites" A**!!

I can also say that a Red Roof Inn for the price is a much better stay and experience than the Country Inn & "suites" hotel. The staff made it sound like I was going to stay at an Intercontinental. They should go on a field trip to the Intercontinental in Miami and learn a few things from the staff there; they truly know what customer service and a good traveling experience are all about.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business