“Overran by families with kids”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ocala
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
Olympia, Washington
“Overran by families with kids”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Thought we get a half way quiet hotel. Lots of young families with lots of kids. We wanted to use the hot tub/pool. Full of kids. Came back an hour later, still full of kids. There was another older couple that wanted to use it, they turned around too. Too much noise, no one cared.

Rooms were just ok. No modern flat screen TV. The old tube TV. Location - just off the freeway. You hear traffic all night long. You enter/exit through a gas station.

We asked for handicap accommodations. the young front lady did not care. Rooms were already assigned. At check-out, the older lady was friendly, but appearance - the jacket was sizes too big. Little things do matter.

Free breakfast was nice. Friendly staff there. Free cookies in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dalotek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Tennessee
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed here on New Year's Eve as a stopover on the way to Universal Orlando from Tennessee. I chose this hotel because it has an indoor pool, which is very difficult to find in this part of Florida! For the price we paid, I think we got a fair value. $89 plus tax got us access to an indoor pool and hot tub, plus a decent free breakfast. Unfortunately, the pool was much colder than I would have liked, and the hot tub was only lukewarm. However that didn't stop our kids from having a good time. I wasn't too crazy about the cleanliness or lack thereof in our room. The bathroom vent didn't work very well so the bathroom was dripping with moisture after a shower, and it took a loooong time to dry out. My daughter used a towel to dry the bathroom floor, and the towel had black streaks of dirt on it afterward. On a positive note, the breakfast was pretty good (not as good as Holiday Inn Express), and the lady attending the breakfast table was very nice and helpful - she offered to make our "self-service" waffles for us. Overall, our needs were met, but not sure I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Drove up from Sarasota for a convention the next day. Country Inn is shoehorned into the offramp greenspace so that you can stand in their parking lot and count the nosehairs of the folks getting off the interstate. Too close for me. Still, wanting to give them a shot as my experience from the corporation has been positive. I walked in to an empty lobby. And waited. Finally I left, drove to the next street and camped out at the La Quinta. Warm welcome, extra coffee, and a call from the front desk to ensure they had met my expectations. Ole!

Room Tip: West side faces off ramp of I-90 NB.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were traveling up I-75 with my kids. One is 2 and the other is 1. So, we asked for two cribs in our room.

When we arrived, the front desk told us that they only had one crib available. They said this despite an emply hotel parking lot. We had no other choice but to try and sleep with one of the babies in the bed.

It didn't work well. First, we tried to get the 2-year old to sleep in the bed with us; she wouldn't. So, we switched, putting the 2-year old in the crib and the sleeping 1-year old in the bed. The 1-year old woke up and would get back to sleep.

So, my wife tried calling the desk to ask them to double check for another crib. She got put on hold (this was at 11 PM). After sitting on hold for 30 minutes, my wife gave up.

We hardly slept because of the single crib issue. We woke up the next morning to leave and the parking lot was still empty. I guess they really only have one crib for a sizeable hotel.

Other than that, the hotel was okay. I guess it compared to a slightly-dated Holiday Inn. The free breakfast was your typical motel type -- nice to have, but nothing special.

I guess next time we're travelling, we'll pack an extra Pack-and-Play.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with infants, bring your own Pack-and-Play!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Country34474, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ocala, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. I would love to speak with you more in regards to your concerns please contact me by email or phone at your earliest convenience.

Shanna House
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed April 15, 2011

i stay at country in suites all over florida ther nice clean and a whirlpool room isnt very expensive. Get a points membership and you earn free days! I have enough points for 2 free days.

Room Tip: the whirlpool suite is the way to go
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FreeDave
Country34474, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ocala, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
On behalf of our entire staff I would like to thank you for your great comments in regards to your stay with us. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again soon!

Shanna House
Front Office Manager
Colorado
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I had a lengthy stay (nearly 2 weeks) there earlier this month and had time to notice anything and everything. I worked my regular job remotely from my room and went out evenings with friends.

1) the staff is the greatest: friendly and very professional. Front desk staff and manager were awesome, as were housekeeping and breakfast staff.

2) breakfast was great - always enough, served for several hours each morning. and constant fresh coffee and cookies in the lobby.

3) my mini-suite was great all-around: very clean, like-new carpet, and nice bedding. superior working situation in room: free fast wireless, good workstation/desk and perfect chair.

4) yes the parking is a little small and tight. at times we had to use the first row of the adjoining BP station for a place to park our truck. like much of Ocala roads, the road in front of this hotel is split and access from one side to the other entails doing a u-turn. Once you get used to that 'feature' in Ocala then this hotel and the others behind it are just as accessible as anything else. The access on/off I-75 is something I value.

I will stay here again next year.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mwilaby
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed March 30, 2011

when i checked in all was ok however i found out that the indoor hot tub was not hot and the jets in tub did not work. i had to go to another hotel to use their hot tub. the parking lot was too small, there were no fresh cookies or fruit in the lobby as advertised, and what made me the maddest was when the cleaning staff throu out my lunch in my room in the in room refridge. i did not check out yet, and they throu out my entire lunch, when i came back to room to eat it, it was gone, i even had the "do not disturb" sign on the door, i then complained to the front desk about it, and they said sorry we thought you were checked out. not good !!!! i then handed them the keys and said now im checking out. and you now owe me money for my good food you throu out. bad experiance do not stay here the holliday inn was alot nicer. and too much traffic noise in room, did not sleep too well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business