“Sushi not up to par for lunch menu”

Sushi Bistro of Ocala
Ranked #140 of 498 Restaurants in Ocala
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Just ok. Has a nice atmosphere, but their lunch menu is confusing and the sushi was not nearly as good as other sushi restaurants. I have yet to find a good sushi restaurant I Ocala...all the best are in Gainesville in my opinion.

Reviewed April 19, 2011

With the reviews I had read here I was nervous when my daughter chose this restaurant for her "23" birthday dinner. We had 16 people, when I called ahead, they were very accomodating and answered every question I had. When we arrived they were ready for us, seated us right away, I ordered a large amount of sushi appetizers and they came out right on time, we all ordered entrees of all sorts, everyone shared all the dishes, everyone commented on how delicious the food was, the servers were right there the entire time. I expected the bill to be higher than it was for the amount of food we ate but it was very reasonable - we all left with a smile and we will go again. If they had problems in the past, they must have fixed them because it was an all around great evening.

Reviewed February 13, 2011

Bottom line first, a place to spend a lot of money and walk out hungry. Now for the full review. The name Sushi Bistro sounded exciting to me. As someone who has eaten sushi for over 45 years, I thought maybe I stumbled onto something new and exiting. As I walked in I was impressed with the upscale decor. Small, but very inviting. As I sat down at the sushi bar, the apparent owner/manager kept herself busy talking on her cell phone. I can only guess that she has other business ventures to attend to, and maybe Sushi Bistro is only a hobby for her.

After waiting for a relatively long time (to me, since there was only one other couple in the entire restaurant), a young waitress finally gave me a menu. Since I was by myself I only ordered 3 sushi rolls. the African Spider roll, five wishes, and water-melon man. I also asked for miso soup.

While I waited the sushi chef was very nice and gave me a complimentary appetizer of four ultra thin slices of a cucumber toll. Nothing substantial, but hey, it was nice to offer a new customer a welcome appetizer. Now you would think that one person ordering 3 "huge" rolls would be too much to eat. Well, I enjoy taking sushi left overs home to eat later that night. However, as they served each sushi roll one by one, I couldn't believe my eyes. Not only was each roll small compared to other restaurants, each slice was as thin as a thin cucumber slice! I could have put those pieces on my eyes while relaxing at a health spa. As I ate each piece, it didn't even feel I was eating much of anything.

Yes, they were tasty......but how about giving me something for my money? Now the 3 sushi rolls almost totaled $40, and yet they charged me extra for the miso soup! Bottom line, I paid over $40 for sushi, not including tip, and I walked out hungry.

I've had many dinners at Tony's and Kotobuki, and the sushi rolls there are much more substantial. I've talked to a few friends who dined there, and they agreed with me 100%. In fact, no matter what time of day, and what day of the week they visited, there was at most 6 other people in the entire restaurant. How does a restaurant stay in business like that?

Bottom line, although they have many creative sounding sushi rolls, I will let anemic Bulimic model types eat there. As for me, I'll go to a place that serves real food.

2  Thank IronStomach
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We have eaten at many Sushi locations around the state including our hometown, but when we decided to try one closer to home we realized distance does matter when you are looking for great Asian dining. Let me say Sushi Bistro of Ocala is NOT a great dining experience. We dropped in on a Monday night. The place looked nice, and had a somewhat Asian theme to it. As we walked in (to order a "to go" meal) we noticed the lack of customers beside one man in the back at the Sushi bar. The bells rang as we came in and the hostess peeked around the back and looked at us. We remained standing at the front counter. She looks out two additional times before taking her time to greet us at the front desk. She asks us for our order and I have to ask to see the menu. She scampers off... After some time passed, she returns and begins to take our order when the phone rings. She then answers and we realize it’s someone calling her as she stops paying attention to us, tells an Asian woman to take our order, and disappears. So now, we replace our order with the new woman. She rings the order up, we pay, and she places the order with the kitchen staff. About 7 to 10 minutes later she return to tell us the they are out of ingredients for one of the sushi rolls we ordered and would we like to substitute.. Begrudgingly we find something that will do. Now the food is completed and we return to our home. FYI, we had to ask for soy sauce. We open the boxes and see how small the rolls are cut and how few pieces we get for our money... Spider Roll = $10 and 5 small pieces... The Publix Sushi of the day (Ugh!) is actually better tasting. The Miso soup was fair and the remainder of rolls where cut again to small and where very small. I would never recommend this to a friend or an enemy... Do yourself a favor and find a better place to enjoy the wonderful flavors of Asian cuzine.

1  Thank Richard T
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Food, service, atmosphere, you name it, it was horrible. Nothing good to say about this eatery. If you want good sushi/sashimi try Kotobuki in Ocala. The food, atmosphere and friendly service including the owners blows this place away.
As far as value in Sushi Bistro, the thin little pieces they serve wouldn't be enough for a cat.
Don't waste your time.