“Not in Ocala, but well worth the trip!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexander Springs

Alexander Springs
Ranked #8 of 56 things to do in Ocala
More attraction details
Owner description: Clear-blue spring and creek in Ocala National Forest.
Kittery, Maine
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not in Ocala, but well worth the trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I read some other reviews of this springs and was not surprised that people noted the rude staff. I know what your talking about, but if we can get past the staff issue, it's well worth the trip out of Ocala. I don't know of any other spring close to Ocala that you can swim in so it's a real treasure for my son and myself. Given it's not exactly close to Ocala either. The website from Lakecountyfl.gov says that Alexander Springs is in Altoona, Florida (very near Astor and Astor Park) at the following address: 49525 County Road 445.My GPS was not able to find this address, and took me just a little past the park, but it got me there.

Now to the spring. We LOVE this spring. The water is crystal clear of course, it's not crowded, and they have beautiful trails that are like near paradise. It's also a great place to learn to swim, which is what my son is doing right now because it's shallow out 100 yards or so until you get near the spring which causes the depth to drop off to about 25 or so feet. But bring your own life jacket, the ones they have to offer are not meant for the "youth" stage of life. Only for young children (under 40 pounds I think) and adults over 90 pounds. There's not a lot of fish to watch unfortunately, but it's still well worth the visit, or two. It costs about $6 per adult to get in and you can rent canoes to paddle the long run that flows (or so I hear) to the St. John's River. We will be trying that soon too!

I will add that the squirrels are a problem. They are constantly searching my bags for food (probably because they've been fed too many times) and are just a pest. I recommend that you bring bags that squirrels can't eat through or pull apart and keep them close by. Please don't feed the wildlife!

Please note that the winter hours for the park's gift shop near the spring are limited during the week. They seem to be open on the weekends. Have fun!

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Kelly A

Orlando, Florida
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“our favorite spring in Florida”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

We often go here as a family. It's a bit of a drive, but worth it! :) It's a piece of natural Florida! We have seen otters, turtles, fish, birds,and raccoons while there. Bring a mask and a couple of pool noodles and float over the big blue hole. There is also a large shallow area. Word to the wise....ALL food needs to be put in plastic coolers. The squirrels here are ridiculous...chewed a hole thru our zippered, cloth cooler and they also found an unopened bag of chips in our towel bag and chewed a hole thru that.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank proudteacher5
Tullahoma, Tennessee
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Great place to camp!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Went camping for the weekend and what a great time. The camp sites are nicely laid out with plenty of space for two cars and two tents at each site. That is their allowance for the spaces. The bath houses are well located and clean. They have a 10 pm quite rule, which wasn't enforced so we had to listen to loud, drunk people at the site next to ours for a few extra hours. The springs are close and you can rent or take your own canoes. All in all a great place to camp.

1 Thank cmanis01
Leesburg, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Enjoy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Nature at it's finest. Beautiful park. Love walking. Facilities for hiking, canoeing, swimming. Pack a lunch or buy something from the park's store.

Daytona Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Awful staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

The absolute worst most unfriendly staff I've ever encountered and I will never be going back. Don't waste the money.

14 Thank jmetz1