“Don't go Kayaking in the Spring”
Review of Alexander Springs

Alexander Springs
Ranked #9 of 66 things to do in Ocala
More attraction details
Owner description: Clear-blue spring and creek in Ocala National Forest.
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I have kayaked in many places in Florida and had the worst experience in Alexander Springs. I took the 4 hours run and it began nicely, then the river comes to a complete dead end because the lily pads, grass and vegetation have completely taken over. You have to litteraly tredge though hours of that vegetation. It was a very dangerous situation because any number of critters could have jumped into the kayak. - being that it is so low in the water. It was bad enough that we had to deal with dozens of spiders from the lily pads falling into the kayak. I was terribly afraid a water snake was going to jump in.

The people at the park are fully aware of the situation, but they did not seem to care at all. They are really carrying a lot of liability.

I give this a two rating because otherwise the camping site and swimming in the springs were nice enough to get a two.

22  Thank sig680

Reviewed July 17, 2010

We took our second trip to Alexander Springs this year. We returned with two other families with a total of 5 children (ages 2-5). Everyone had a great time. The water was beautifully clear and definitely very cool. There is a very large area of shallow water perfect for the kids to play in. I think we'll bring more rafts for the adults and children to float on the next time we go. The nice thing about these springs is everything is conveniently located: the bathrooms, the tables w/ grills, and the springs are all within a short walk. Arrive early to get a good spot. The tables are located on grassy areas with trees to provide shade. It was a nice, relaxing day at the springs for the entire family.

9  Thank famileetravels3
Reviewed May 29, 2010

We decided last minute to make a day trip to Alexander Springs and it was well worth it. We only wish that we would have arrived there earlier in order to rent a canoe. Apparently after 1pm they do not rent them out.It's about an hour drive from Kissimmee, we got there easily with our GPS but otherwise I think we would have driven around thinking we were lost. Keep in mind this is in the middle of "no where." We were very impressed with the park, I had read other reviews and been told by others that there was nothing there but obviously it is what you make of it. Others were there grilling/picnicing with there families, immediately we decided to come back with the rest of ours. It wasn't overly busy so we were still able to sit out and relax. One thing the water is cold! Go on a nice hot summer day and it will deffinately cool you off. We will deffinately be going back, maybe next time stay and camp out.

5  Thank Mena921
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I want to start by saying to those who think Alcohol is needed to enjoy a day at the Springs..this is not the place for you. Also, If you are one who like to party into the early hour of morning...this spring is not the place you want to be. That said...Alexander Springs is a beautiful camp grounds and spring. There is not a spring in Florida that can compete with the area for swimming and snorkeling. If you are going for a day trip, get there early because the park fills up quick. The rangers are very nice and will gladly assist you if needed. I love this place and will try to get there 10 times a year for the rest of my life!!!

1  Thank rhaller
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I arranged for my son's Scout troop to hold the annual family camp out at Alexander Springs and everyone enjoyed the event immensely. We booked 8 camp sites on loop A and then held group events in the middle of the cluster. Saturday night we had 31 people gathered for the final Court of Honor and no one took issue since the 8 sites allowed for 40 people. The camp staff do patrol the camp regularly; each one was very helpful. When I was carrying a garbage bag around looking for the dumpster one staffer took the bag on his golf cart and disposeds of it so I could rejoin my group. We took our own canoes and the consessionaire helped us unload and offered his carts to transport our canoes to the landing. I am glad we took the canoes because the spring run is a beautiful and liesure paddle. This park is a true gem and a great place to experience the real Florida.

4  Thank usbrowns