“after reading about the spring and driving from Orlando with my son” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexander Springs

Alexander Springs
Ranked #8 of 56 things to do in Ocala
More attraction details
Owner description: Clear-blue spring and creek in Ocala National Forest.
Orlando
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“after reading about the spring and driving from Orlando with my son”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

We discovered that you cannot SCUBA there with a temp card. You have to have the origibnal C-Card. I wrote the park operator, that has doesn't understand you can't get a temp card without a certification from SSI, PADI or one of the other certification organizations in the country. I wrote the state and federal folks too but it did no good. I did suggest they note this requirement on the web site and they did say that was a good idea but after several months nothing has changed on the web site.

Just remember you can't SCUBA with a temp card at Alexander Springs

5 Thank SCUBAJCT

Ocala,Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“One of the best places to visit in Florida”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

We always have a great time when we go to Alexander Springs.We make sure to go as a group because we think everyone should get a chance to go there.This last weekend we went there was a good sized gator over in the swim area just around the area where everyone likes to scuba.You could here it growl all over the swim area.It was really kind of scary and I never did see any person that works at the park check to make sure the swimmers were being cautious about it.I made our group stay on the opposite side and where the water was clear and shallow.I don't know what they would really do about it but it would have been nice to see someone come and check the situation out.I realize gators are part of nature and it didn't threaten to attack anyone but some people have no common sense and they were trying to throw things in the direction of the gator to see if it would do anything which is really stupid.There are alot of small kids out there who's reflexes aren't as quick as adults especially when they are playing and not paying attention to the worries of nature.We didn't let it bother our visit,it was really kind of interesting.We will always go back,it is a beautiful place to be.

8 Thank sk8ermom02
A TripAdvisor Member
“Renovation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2006

I remember the old look of the day use beach area of the park.
The money spent was excellent. New, clean, private areas to
change/shower was a big factor. New added covered picnic areas,
additional picnic tables, Bar-B-Q's, and new path.. All needed.
At the beach, much had been refurbished, the area to swim
had been leveled out more, the moss was at a minimum.
I did wish however it wasn't such an ordeal or distance
hauling elderly uphill or kids to use the restroom.
I wish they would have a restroom further down by where
everyone is picnicing/ swimming so you don't have to
abandon or make EVERYONE go with you so one person
can use the toilet.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Key West, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Don't drink the water”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2006

Just returned from a weekend at Alexander Srings. It was terrible.

I was part of a group which had already paid for 3 campsites. We arrived a little after 8PM (which is when they close the gates.) The ranger took me on a golfcart to the campsite of our group. Everyone from the 3 campsites was there cooking dinner. The ranger was rude and possibly drunk. He kept giving us a hard time about the number of vehicles and people we had. He threatened us several times with being kicked out if we had too many people, or were loud.

Several hours later our little group who had moved to our campsite got another visit from the Ranger. He appeared to be more drunk and was ruder. My teenage son was shining a flashlight into the trees and the Ranger said that was not allowed and that our radio had to go (it was not loud at all). My son said "Sorry" and the Ranger said "I don't want to hear sorry. If I hear it again you are out of here." What kind of message is that sending to a teenager?

The next day we went down to the springs. People were getting in trouble for bringing bikes down to the area. A group of our kids went on the boardwalk and saw a turtle laying eggs. The eggs were near the path to the boardwalk so they went to the Rangers and asked if there was anything they could do to protect the eggs, like put up a sign or a barrier, but they said "No, we have to let nature take its course". Apparently it is more important to not shine flashlights into the trees than to save turtle eggs.

The next day, 7 of the 21 of us got terribly sick with awful vomiting and diarrhea. (6 of our group had the smarts to stay in a local hotel instead of camping, they had to pay more for their group to get daily passes than it would be to pay for a campsite.)Everyone who got sick said it was the worst night of their life. The next day when we all thought about it the only common denominater was that they all drank the camp water. We spoke to another Ranger about that but he said they check the water. As we were breaking camp we saw Rangers on golf carts taking water samples.

I have been camping in a lot of springs in Florida. This is the worst experience I have ever had. I will never go back again and neither will the other 20 people in my group. In fact, one of the families we were there with has been camping there for 17 years. Their picture is on one of the signs there. They said they will never go back either. They said it used to be nice but its not anymore.

22 Thank Roudy3
Ocala, FL
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Near Ocala, not in it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2003

Alexander Springs is a nice place, but it's not IN Ocala; it's east of Ocala (and described by AAA as 13 miles NE of Umatilla via SR 19 and CR 445). We got to SR 19 via SR 40 which runs East-West through Ocala. It offers camping, hiking trails, boating, boat rentals, fishing, and swimming. It's another good example of "real" Florida for families who are tired of the man-made attractions!

24 Thank ExplorerAP