“Great Low-Key, Family Friendly Beach Resort”

Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Super friendly staff, Awesome Breakfast on the Ocean view Terrace, great food. Beach side rooms have an incredible view. I liked the proximity of the garage. The hotel sits on top and it's easily accessible when on property.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Write a ReviewReviews (2,698)

Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel and staff were outstanding. Easy access to beach, with great pool and tiki bar. Very reasonable and very relaxing! Used to stay in Clearwater, but with all the beach rules and super high cost we tried North Reddington. We are GLAD we did! Very nice beach, less crowded, very quiet. Will stay again for sure.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I can't think of a single negative about this hotel. I have a very low tolerance for "icky" hotels.....and this hotel is one of the cleanest and most comfortable we've ever stayed at. The beds and pillows were great. The staff was friendly and helpful. The beach is to DIE for. Clean, soft white sand, and most days we saw at least a couple of dolphins. If you want to stay at a hotel where you are ON THE BEACH, this is it. Walk out the backdoor, rent a chair for the day (well worth the cost, the guy that runs it is very attentive, offers to move your umbrella with the sun, etc.), and you are there. There's a fun tiki bar right outside the back, and a wonderful restaurant with inside and outside dining that is good and very reasonably priced. You are also a very close drive to many great restaurants, Clearwater is a short drive, and St. John's Pass is a fun area with shopping, dining, waverunners, etc. that is only about a 10 minute drive from the hotel. We had a small problem with plumbing in our bathroom and the front desk literally had someone up to fix it in about 10 minutes. And last but not least, they gave us WARM chocolate chip cookies when we checked in! Loved it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business. My room was great. The view was great. Pay for the gulf view. The restaurant was great. The staff were super friendly and helpful. The beach is actually perfect. Be aware that it is a decent drive from the airport. About 45 minutes. But it is a nice place.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank LostALot22
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The rooms were very clean and the ocean front room was great!! we also loved the cookies. Outstanding customer service!! If you needed anything all you had to do was ask. Everyone was very friendly and made us feel welcomed there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have to start off by saying my husband and I have been looking forward to going on this trip. We knew the place would be a little dated, but the reviews on how they cater to kids and families excited us! We go to Clearwater yearly and with two very small children (1 and 3) we booked the Doubletree - with some hesitation due to a previous incident 2 years ago in South Carolina, but did it anyway. Either way, we decided to go down the beach a little bit from Clearwater and stay in Redington with the Double Tree.

Upon arrival, I was not greeted the normal way that I am at every HH honors hotel - including the Doubletree we just stayed at the previous night at the Pittsburgh airport to extend on to our vacation. When I asked to ensure my Hilton Honors was on file, the gentleman told me "we don't add it to discounted rooms booked by discount chains". Excuse me? I booked via travel agent who used southwestvacations.com, in which my HH number was provided to and was on my printed documents. "Discount" there was nothing "discount" about this trip. We were provided 5 places (SandPearl, Sandkey Sheraton, Tradewinds etc, not crappy places!) and the Doubletree was the most expensive by far. However, I chose it because of the wonderful reviews as being kid friendly and the perks we would get through Hilton Honors.
We actually stopped using Hilton properties about 2 years ago when I was denied HiltonHonors points because it was booked in my husbands name (paid with my credit card) and our "last" names didn't match. They said he had to have his own number - which married couple uses two different reward cards, that's just stupid. Umm....yeah these days you don't have to take your husbands last name to be married. I spend a lot of work time and personal time traveling, being a Gold and Diamond member prior and that one week trip stopped me from ever using Hilton properties again until this year - losing all those points. So what's the point? The point is I use this travel agency and ALWAYS receive my SPG rewards through Sheraton and Marriott rewards via Marriott. This is the first time we were denied as a Hilton honors member for booking "discount". It wasn't priceline or expedia, it was booked via southwest vacations...check the details regarding the travel agency that books the trips.

So I asked to speak with a manager as the guy checking me in was the concierge. He should stick to taking your bags to your room and telling you the best places to eat instead of checking people in. To tell someone you booked "discount" is just in poor taste and he looked generally annoyed with me. 2 minutes later he comes back with a post it note with a phone number and told me to take it up with Hilton honors....the manager didn't come out to talk to me. A manager would not come and speak to me. I was in shock. You mean the person sitting in that little room right there couldn't walk 15 feet to come speak with a customer? Instead I got a post it note. Honestly, we wouldn't have booked this if I knew we would be treated the way we were....and the reviews were so different I would have never expected this! Since I wasn't considered a "Hilton Honors" member, we were not given the normal perks which took the highest priced vacation and drove it up even more! AKA no free internet, not on the HH floor etc. My husband wanted to leave immediately - and if it wasn't for the 2 kids in the backseat tired of traveling, I would have left there immediately. Instead we checked in and went to our room.
This is again where it goes down hill. Our view was literally of the parking lot on the second floor. As we got dressed, people could see in as they drove up. There was an awful humming noise everyday, like big washing machines were right near our room and they were on the rinse cycle for hours. It was so annoying and it was everyday during nap time that it just angered me more. This place also needs a face lift....Im the one who feels cheated with such an old property for that amount of money. If I booked "discount" while I sure hope that no one every books this property at face value because if its more than what I spent, they are REALLY ripping you off.

We just tried to enjoy our vacation because it was clear nothing was going to change. There was a diamond member behind me while I was checking in and saw the whole thing go down and how I was being treated. We also discussed how the HH system has become and he said his room was deplorable for being a diamond member. He was trying to see if he could be upgraded. I have documentation showing SPG rewards (from right down the street) being applied through southwest vacations as well. Maybe HH should take a page from SPG.....

Pool is super small (this coming from a family who stays at the Sheraton sandkey, that pool is huge compared to this one) but the proximity to the beach was the saving grace. Our kids enjoyed the beach and Kevin who runs the cabanas was excellent. They have beach toys to borrow and we left new pool noodles and our kids sand buckets there as that was a nice to have those available for the beach. Mia and John who served our breakfast at Mangos were awesome. Other than that, we spent our money outside of this hotel and just used the hotel for a place to rest our heads. Pretty expensive for being an average hotel...oh wait that's right, I got it at a "discount" I shouldn't complain.

To add insult to injury, when we checked out I bought cookie tins for treats for our friends back home. (No one can deny how good those cookies are!) However upon arriving at home, our cookie tins were full of BURNT cookies. Here you go friends, 2 tins of burnt cookies to remember our vacation by. I have pictures to prove that as well. My husband and I actually laughed because we should have expected burnt cookies after everything else. I just think nothing went well and we will be more careful of our selections in the future.

There will be more times to be enjoyed in the Clearwater area for us, but never ever again at this hotel or any Hilton owned property. I have already cancelled our September rooms in South Carolina through Hilton. Remember, don't drink the kool aid, the people who work there are super nice to make up for everything else this place lacks. I'm wondering if the manger will respond to this review now that we have left asking for us to call them, but couldn't give us the time of day while onsite. Lets see....

Room Tip: Anything but the 2nd floor non gulf side. People can see in your room as they were driving up the r...
Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank genie0120
DoubletreeLaurie, General Manager at Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

I am sorry for the difficulties you experienced regarding HHonors points at my hotel. I looked up the HHonors program Terms & Conditions and found out that “specifically excluded from the definition of “stay” are the following types of ineligible stays: Wholesale/tour operator packages, third party websites bookings (irrespective of rate paid)” as well as a number of others. In your case, it is true that the tour operator package you chose is ineligible to receive points and stay credits. However, we still provided you with free water and free internet.

We take great care and pride with the preparation and baking of our famous DoubleTree chocolate chip cookies, so the burning of two tins (6 cookies each) should not happen. I would appreciate you calling my direct #: 727-369-7100, and confirming your mailing address on my voicemail. Once received, I will send 2 new (perfectly baked) tins of cookies.

I hope you will give us another chance.

Terry Graber, General Manager

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Great location and wonderful atmosphere. The staff was excellent and our housekeeper was the best. She always had a smile each and every time she seen us and her personality was outstanding. Way to go Sylvia!!!We ate the breakfast buffet and it was delicious and they make you eggs to order along with omelets and pancakes. Price reasonable. I am very fussy about where i stay and I would return in a heartbeat. Thank You Double Tree for a great vacation!!! See you next year!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites
Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites
#7 of 48 in Treasure Island
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach South Harbourside
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clear...
#2 of 5 in Indian Rocks Beach

Been to Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach

Address: 17120 Gulf Blvd, North Redington Beach, FL 33708-1443
Location: United States > Florida > North Redington Beach
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in North Redington Beach
Price Range: $197 - $512 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach 3.5*
DoubleTree Beach Resort by Hilton is a true combination of Florida and the Tropics! Experience our tropical sun, gentle breezes, powder white sand and the sparkling blue green waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Centrally located between Clearwater & St. Pete Beaches, directly on the Gulf of Mexico. 125 tropically appointed guest rooms, each with a private furnished balcony, 40" flat panel TV with 66 channels including 24 HD channels, mini refrigerator, wireless high-speed internet access, ergonomic desk chair, iron/ironing board, USA Today delivered each weekday morning, two telephones, and CITRON Honey & Coriander by Crabtree & Evelyn Bath Products. Private beach and beachfront swimming pool, 24 hour business center and gift/sundry shop, Mangos Restaurant with indoor/outdoor seating, beachside Tiki Bar featuring live entertainment, and onsite cabana and water sport rentals. Come see us! We'll always have a warm chocolate chip cookie with your name on it ready and waiting! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree Beach Resort By Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach Hotel