“A different kind of place”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Shores West

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Redington Beach
Grand Shores West
“A different kind of place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

First, if you're accustomed to staying at places like Sheraton, Hyatt, or Wyndham , this is not for you. Most of the other reviews are pretty close to what you will find, but I did talk to people who liked the place. They are the ones who have been going there for 30 plus years and have a lot of old friends there. It reminded me of an old hotel with people sitting around the lobby reading papers, playing games etc. What you need to know before you take the chance on this place is that parking is at a premium. You rarely find a convenient spot. You also have to take your own pool towels. They do not supply them and they warn you not to take the room towels out of the room. On a brighter note, the pool is ok and the beach is nice and sunsets are priceless. I can't even describe how small the rooms are. I guess you can use your imagination of what a small place would be and then cut that in half. We decided it was an adventure we would have for a week and we'll not return. I guess the final thing I'll let you know is that you can hear conversations and snoring through the walls. That was disconcerting but never- the- less part of the adventure !

Room Tip: Don't be taken by surprise by the written description.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank Gerry T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stuck in the 50's. Broken furniture, stained mirrors, ripped carpeting, broken appliances...
Front desk staff were so uncooperative. Didn't want to even stand at the desk. Were too bothered to do that.... The rugs were so dirty!!!!! No parking, we parked across the street in a vacant property. Everything was so poor. The only place that was clean was the pool.
Free coffee at 6 a.m.!!!!! Then it disappeared!!!! The elevator paneling was falling down.
Oh my, how could you do this to unsuspecting, trusting people.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank sim7171
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had our honeymoon at Grand Shores West. Wonderful resort! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The Pool and hot tub were very clean. Our room was very clean. The maid does a wonderful job. We are hoping to make this an annual vacation spot. We are on a tight budget and this location was perfect. The FREE sailboat ride was fun! We were able to play in the gulf, go shelling, and watch the other vacationers play sand volleyball. A great place for family fun or to have couple time. We highly recommend this resort and is close to the grocery store and we loved using the bbq which is provided by the resort.

Room Tip: we stayed in a Efficiency. The bed was a murphy bed and was ok. I bet the other rooms may have a l...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrsrantz
Wasilla, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had not used RCI previously, but when asked for a place in the St. Petersburg area, we were given Grand Shores West, which was listed as a "resort". Upon arrival, we were introduced to our Studio Apartment. We walked down a dingy hall, and inside the #114 door, we found substandard living. The apartment (circ. 1960) was old, dusty and poorly constructed. When my husband attempted to relax after a long flight, he found himself inches from the floor on a flimsy double sized mattress. The kitchen had one cabinet with 4 uneven drawers, and the bathroom had a partially tiled tub set off in dirty chalking. We occupied #114 for about 2 hours, and during that time we found it did not meet our standards, and we were compelled to find housing elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Dorothy B
Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

This place is small time and old Florida. Not a high-rise where you have to take the elevator down several floors to get to the beach! This place is smack dab on the beach and it feels like it. Great pool, jacuzzi, beach area and location. The rooms are old style Florida and that is what makes it charming. Personally, I have stayed at the Ritz and like this place better. It's laid back, easy-going, friendly charm makes it a favorite of everyone I have ever brought here.

Room Tip: One bedroom with balcony or townhouse
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelingTracy49
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The owners call it a "resort." I'd like to disagree....the beds were in poor shape, the room was small, tiny kitchen, no-frills bathroom. BUT I loved the price. The pool was fine. They had comfortable lounge chairs on the beach. At no charge! And a guy with a catamaran who let you sail it if you had experience, which I do. Also, no charge! Our balcony faced the ocean....so breakfast and lunch facing the ocean - what's not to like about THAT? But it's rather "austere" - the carpeting in the common spaces is outrageously dirty and awful....don't walk on it barefoot! Owners not particularly nice or friendly. It's probably a tough business, so I didn't expect much. But a warm greeting when you arrive would have been nice. They want you to pay in advance, which I found off-putting. Guess they've been stiffed in the past. Too bad. I checked out the room before paying and found it clean; it's just NOT a luxurious place by any stretch of the imagination. So if dollars are tight, this could be a good fit for you. Very kid-friendly - they were all over the place. Ugh. But that's what one expects along the Florida ocean in summer, so you roll with the punches. It's definitely not the kind of place I'd go to for a romantic getaway! But for relaxation in the sun with the added bonus of the watercraft made it OK-PLUS for me!

Room Tip: Can't help you there ---at least get a room facing the pool or ocean and not the busy boulevard...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Francophile960
Dalhousie, New Brunswick, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have been going there for 11 years and have been very pleased with the people and the place. I do a little extra cleaning but that is me. The service and the beach is excellent. Personally I know many people that stay there in March and April and very happy with all The owners are respectful and their best but some of the people that rent are !!!!.I would not in the world want to try to control a lot of the renters. If you want the Rivera pay the PRICE. This is very good for the price and maybe a little better as the people are great at my time of year

Room Tip: Stay home if you are looking for the Ritz.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Beach House Cabanas
#9 of 48 in Treasure Island
Courtyard St. Petersburg Clearwater/Madeira Beach
Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach
Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilto...
#1 of 6 in North Redington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,388 reviews

Been to Grand Shores West? Share your experiences!