“I liked it for a low-key, relaxing day.”

Warm Mineral Springs
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in North Port
More attraction details
Owner description: At a temperature of 87 degrees, Warm Mineral Springs contains 9 million gallons of fresh water which replenishes itself every two hours. This natural resource is comprised of 51 minerals, which is the highest mineral content of any natural spring in the United States. The spring has been added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places partly because it is one of the most important underwater archeological sites in America. During exploratory dives in the 1950s, the remains of a prehistoric hunter and seven other humans were discovered in a very well preserved state. Similarly, evidence of several creatures have been extracted from the spring, including saber tooth tigers, giant sloths, tortoises, and even camels. Today, with a goal of increased wellness for everyone, Warm Mineral Springs offers a natural experience to residents and visitors alike who want to soak in the warm waters.
Tampa
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“I liked it for a low-key, relaxing day.”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This place "is what it is". Its a large sinkhole filled with water, so, a lake, that you can swim in. The price is a little steep, I paid $15.00 for as a discounted rate (it $20.00 is you are not local), $8.00 for kids. If your kids are under 10 they are restricted to a small part of the lake. It is meant to be low key and relaxing, they pipe "new-agey" type music outside and its mostly old people (there was a line of walkers left by the ramps, lol), so if you have very young kids I would probably go find a water park instead.

With that said, my 10 year old and i had a great day there. We floated around the lake, then swam out into the 240' drop off in the center. Then floated around the circle for a while, then swam out to the center again. It is 4-5 feet deep around the edges of the lake where most people float in circles. And then you can go under the swim rope to the insanely deep circle in the center. It looks black so you can't see the bottom. You can google aerial photos of the sinkhole and it will give you the best idea. The lake is about 250' across so its not very big.

We went at the end of November. The air was a little chilly, but still ok.

The onsite restaurant serves only "health food" which usually isn't my thing, but it was DELICIOUS, and reasonably priced. I would go back just to eat lunch there. It was called Cafe Evergreen.

They offer free yoga classes outside and there is a full spa on site but I didn't try those.

My daughter and I wanted to go back the next day, but the admission price was too high for twice in one weekend. I'm sure we will go back eventually. We kept giggling at the older people passing us in the circle asking each other, "is the fountain of youth working on them yet?" We decided that unless they were 300+ years old it wasn't.

Sorry if giggling at older people is offensive to anyone, but my daughter is 10 and at that age old people are still funny. (and you don't think you will ever be one). It was just a light hearted, calm day.

The locker rooms were very clean. There was an employee in there always, cleaning constantly. There were a lot of "streakers" in the locker room, mostly european, which my daughter didn't like. Bathing suits are required but I got the feeling a lot of people would like this place to be clothing-optional with the natural-type and european vibe. I doubt that will happen since the county now owns the property, though a lifeguard told me that they close it sometimes to private parties that rent the facility for clothing optional times. Don't know how you would find out about those parties if you are into that--but I'm just saying FYI. I'm happy leaving my bathing suit on so I didn't ask details!

Its nothing overwhelming, but if you are just "go with the flow" and don't have high expectations, you can have a very relaxing peaceful day. I felt a sense of inner peace when I left and slept great that night. I would avoid busy times, but I don't know what the busy times are. As I said, we went at the end of November and it was quiet.

Visited November 2012
7 Thank Lea R

• Polish first
northport
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“UGLY PLACE UGLY EVERYTHING”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

After visiting hot springs in Italy, Norway and Greece, I had certain expectations.
None of them were met.
Place is one big mud hole and is more like the desolate dead sea in Jordan than it is like any of the spectacular hot springs of Europe.
totally disappointing and glad they let us check it out before paying to step into the cess pool.
if you don't have a skin condition when you arrive, you are guaranteed to have one by the time you re emerge from this place.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank thomas_rNorthport
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Mineral Spring”
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Saw this place on line thought since we were near we should try it out. It looks like a a great place or retired people to socialize. Average age is 60 to 80. They place relaxing music all day and have a water yoga class. It will set you back $20 a person. It looks to be a pond with 3 natural springs flowing into it. You will need to get used to the smell....I thought it would disipate throughout the day..but it did not..It probably has something to do with the 51 minerals in the spring. I gave it an overall 3 because nothing about it really jumped out as terrific. But I thought with the history behind it we should at least have tried it.

2 Thank bbcc4
Riverview, Florida, United States
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Relaxing”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I live in Riverview and my mother-in-law wanted to go to the Warm Mineral Springs for her 79th birthday. We arrived in the afternoon and really enjoyed ourselves. My mother-in-law as free for her birthday and that was so nice. The locker rooms are older but they have what you need, shower and a place to change your cloths. We seen alot of people also bringing their robes due to the open bay locker/changing rooms. The play drums at 3:00pm and that was alot of fun. Be aware that there is a $20 fee so get there early to take advantage of the classes they offer.

Visited December 2012
Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Free Admission on Actual Birthday!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I live in Clearwater & have been wanting to visit for awhile. Finally, I called to make reservations for a massage and I happened to mention I was thinking of celebrating my birthday in new ways (usually go to Disney). The lady on the phone said they offer free admission on actual birthdays!!! No where is that mentioned, so I am glad I was chatty on the phone. :O
I drove 1.5 hours south & found this in a residential area. You can smell the minerals in the parking lot but don't worry! You get used to it. :)
Aromatherapy massage was great as far as the aromas, but he basically just did a VERY light circular motion on my whole body. Plus, he seemed put off that I asked to start face up as it is a trust issue. He gave a strange look, paused and said they have female therapists. It had nothing to do with female vs male. So right there, I should have changed therapists. The correct answer would have been, "That is okay!" I heard others raving about Tonya, so I will try her next trip.

They say the springs are "always 87F" but I don't think so. I swim in the Gulf a lot and I know the temps. This was 84 or 85 at the warmest. But, I am not complaining. It was nice! Most people were walking around the perimeter; not me. I chose to swim out into the center where I continued to float, tread water, relax.

95% of the clientele were Russian, Czech, or Polish -- only a few of us spoke English, many from Wisconsin, a few locals. They play nice relaxing music that can be heard on the grounds and in the water.

Chairs are set up around the perimeter of the springs (size of small lake) where I fell asleep a few times, read, and met some very nice people.

The cafe was delicious but super expensive. I have no idea how my bill came to be $18. I had an eggplant burger (7.95), was told a small difference to have sweet potato fries rather than pita chips, an organic root beer, and a cheesecake (it was my birthday!). Next time, I would sneak snacks in my bag and eat something small from the cafe.

They have lockers, but they do not work! No keys are available - I was told people were not returning their keys so they decided to solve that problem by not allowing the use of the lockers.

Every staff member I met was very kind, gracious, and helpful.

Visited November 2012