“Nearest Hotel to Barry University” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Windsor Inn

BEST WESTERN PLUS Windsor Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in North Miami
Marathon, Florida
“Nearest Hotel to Barry University”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

We've stayed here many times over the last six years while our youngest went to Barry (WHERE YOU BELONG!) It was pretty bad back in the day, but has come up quite a bit over the years. We use Travelocity and always get at least 15% off list price. Good value in high season, when better hotels aren't competing as hard. That said, my biggest gripes are very slow unsecured Wi-Fi, uncomfortable shredded foam pillows, poor elevator maintenance, and understaffed on-site restaurant. Everything else is okay - but just barely - if your goal is only a place to lay your head. They have four different Wi-Fi networks spread around the bldg, with varying connection strengths, but at best it's slow and drops you often. Front desk suggests you turn off your firewall (on their unsecured network !?! ) to improve connection. DON'T DO IT!! Three cheap lumpy pillows per bed, so I always bring my own. I've NEVER seen both elevators working, but it's only a big problem near ck-out time. Newly renovated cafe is handsome but VERY understaffed. They're trying REAL HARD to be a great little eatery, and if you have all the time in the world, it's okay. But Jimmy's on 510 Northeast 125th St is on the way to Barry, has typical diner quality food, generous portions and fast service. (Can't beat their $6.95 dinner specials.) I've given up trying to find a better value hotel/motel near Barry, but at close to $100 a night when you add taxes, I feel robbed. Then again, this is Miami, and unless you're willing to stay in a REALLY bad part of town, you are NOT going to find a better value.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank CarolM999
B W, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Windsor Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your satisfaction with our accommodations and
service during your recent stay at our Hotel. We certainly enjoyed having you with us.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Plus Windsor Inn the next time you are in North Miami. We look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I was looking for a cheep hotel in Miami for 4 nights, I was renting a car and didn't want to spend extra money on a hotel, I didn't plan on staying in the room that much anyway. I paid 56$ per night and it was worth every penny!
All I wanted was a clean nice place, quiet at night so I could sleep and close to everything and free parking for my car, I got MUCH much more!!
The room was big, very clean, nice pool, exelent service, they clean the room every morning, and the location was wonderful! (if you have a car)
everything is 10-20 min drive away.
All together I had a very good time, I would deffnetly come back and recommend it to all my friends. Keep up the good work

• Stayed June 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars
windsorinn09, Customer Service at BEST WESTERN PLUS Windsor Inn, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
Thank you for such kind remarks regarding your recent stay. It is always great to know our efforts and performance was very effective and appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Miami.
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I was in town on business when I stayed at the hotel. A lot of hotels in the Miami area can get a bit expensive, and I was surprised to find one with rates as low as this one. It turns out that you do get what you pay for.

When I arrived, I noticed the parking lot near the office was extremely small. There is a larger parking lot behind the building but you have to drive back on to the road to get to it because the two parking lots are not connected. The staff were friendly and helpful. The building was obviously an older building, but there were signs that several improvements had been made. When I went out one of the side doors to get my luggage out of my car, I was locked out because my key card would not work. After walking around the building and back into the lobby, I notified the desk clerk who told me that they knew about the problem but couldn't do anything about it.

I made a note to remember which doors my key card would open, and then proceeded to my room. One of the two elevators had a sign on it stating that it was out of order. I waited for the working elevator to take me to my floor. Again, you could easily tell that this was a older hotel but some effort had been made to update it. One thing that struck me as odd was that the tops of the guest room doors were higher than the hallway ceiling. By every guest room door, the hallway ceiling had to go up and across to the door facing so that it would not run directly into the door. Poor design if you ask me. The room was clean and somewhat comfortable. The wireless internet was extremely slow. I walked out to the balcony and was rewarded by a view of the loading dock of the strip mall next door. Honestly, I'd rather that I had no balcony at all.

I went outside to the pool area, and it looked rather run down and uninviting. I decided against using it.

One thing the hotel needs to have is a complimentary continental breakfast. It does not have one. Instead, there is a restaurant attached to the hotel where you can buy breakfast, although I did not use it.

Because I was going to be staying in town for a week, I decided to check out of the hotel after one night and find one that was a little nicer. If you are looking for a place to stash your stuff for the day, shower, change clothes, go to sleep, and you're on a budget, then this hotel is fine. If you want a little more than that, I suggest going elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank weary_traveller25
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is very gratifying to know our accommodations was well appreciated. Please visit us again the next time you are in the North Miami area.
Sankt Polten, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

It was a five nights stay. The hotel is clean and confortable. The staff helpfull and seems to be very happy working there. That´s very important and reflects to the way the guests is treated.

The location is very good, with nearby shops and reataurants.

Would stay there again no doudt about it, also with my family.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank RSoldera
windsorinn09, customer service representative at BEST WESTERN PLUS Windsor Inn, responded to this review, December 13, 2009
Thank you for such kind comments regarding our hotel staff and service. It is very gratifying to know our performance was effective and appreciated. We hope you will stay with us the next time you are in north miami. Thank you
Atlantic City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

This was our second stay at the Best Western Windsor. It's conveniently situated between Miami and Ft Lauderdale and has free safe parking so it's great for exploring the South Florida area. The rooms are clean and reasonably roomy. There was a nice 32" flat screen TV and microwave and mini-fridge in the room. It's a busy area right on Rte 1 with lots of traffic going by but we've always felt safe walking to the shopping center across the street.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Q58
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

This hotel was an overnight stopover on the way to Key West. The hotel is situated in North Miami, one of the benefits of this was that the hotel had a good car park that did not mean handing your car over to a valet. Free wifi in the room was also better than the hotels closer to the town centre who all charged for internet connection The interior is fairly typical 1980's hotel interior and the reception area was small and dated but clean. The room was a bit tired and needed at least a thorough deep clean or preferably a refurb. The air conditioner was noisy and a bit smelly. Bed was OK, sheets and towels were clean. OK for a one night stopover but not any more.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank travelsmartUk
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

My husband and I checked in May 2nd and checked out May 4th while visiting family. Prior to booking the hotel we rsearched through our belovedntrip advisor as I am veeeeery picky when it comes to hotels and restaurants. When my husband and I checked in we were very pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel, our room and the pool area was clean and inviting(they also have a 1 foot deep kiddie pool). Although the hotel is located on a main road, you will not have to worry about being disturbed by noise because the hotel is quiet. directly across the street is a plaza that has a Denny's, Ross, 24hr Walgreens, Panera Bread, Radio Shack, Anne's Linens, Kosher Bakery. Within 15 miles there are many restaurants as well as the infamous Aventura Mall. Please don't overlook this hotel you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chaotichocolate
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Miami
BEST WESTERN On The Bay Inn & Ma...
#1 of 1 in North Bay Village
4.0 of 5 stars 1,540 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Hollywood/Aven...
#2 of 5 in Hallandale Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 838 reviews
Oceanfront
BEST WESTERN Atlantic Beach Resort

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Windsor Inn? Share your experiences!