“Fabulous Rooms If You Don't Care About Safety & Sanitation & A/C”

Motel 6 North Fort Myers
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
“Fabulous Rooms If You Don't Care About Safety & Sanitation & A/C”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

First of all, I didn't expect much going in. I've worked at the front desk in assorted hotels and resorts for over thirteen years and it is a known fact in the industry that if a hotel is owned by a certain type, then eight times out of ten it's going to be a run-down property. If it's a MOTEL owned by this certain type, you're guaranteed a rough night. I decided to go for it, though, because I found a reasonable rate and everyone else was sold out.

We arrived at the property at around 4:30 in the evening and the desk was being manned by the MOD named Rocky and another guy. It was pretty obvious that the other guy was new to working the front desk, but he did his best and he was VERY friendly. (Looking back, he was probably the only redeeming quality of the motel.) Rocky was throwing papers, key cards, etc. across the desk, NEVER looked at any guest in the face, let alone the eyes. Needless to say, customer service is not his forte. They were charging people off the street over a hundred dollars for a room while my own room was half that amount -- which tells you a lot about their ethical standards. The lobby was dirty with tiles broken all over the floor. When you walked in you felt like you were going to actually fall THROUGH the floor. I finally got checked in after arguing with Rocky about the rate I was guaranteed (he tried to charge the 11% tax rate twice even though the paperwork clearly said it was already included).

We drove around to the room and I'm sure you can picture the looks on our faces. The "I'm smiling because I'm trying to not freak out the person I'm with" look. The blinds were wide open on all the rooms and two rooms down it was stocked full of disgusting looking carpet. We walked in our room and the floor sunk down under our weight. The carpet was coming up and away from the walls. (Apparently their thumb tacks and tape weren't doing the job properly.) The a/c unit was pulled away from the wall, there was NO TELEPHONE (which is not allowed b/c of emergencies and liability issues...), no clock, the microwave was unplugged....well, there wasn't a plug for it. We actually went out for a while and brought back my box fan because the a/c was crap. Because I work in hotels I was trying to just suck it up and not complain. To make a long story short, we woke up at about 12:30 p.m. because I was coughing to death (mold does that to you) and the room was extremely humid and HOT. It was about 20 degrees cooler outside than in the room. I finally drove back up to the desk and thank God we got moved into a handicap room. This room was (compared to the other) a MILLION TIMES better.

It should also be noted that the rooms across from the office are apparently being renovated and the boards they are using for the floor boards are not being weather treated AND they aren't even the proper sizing for secure flooring.

Oh -- the breakfast. Their "hot breakfast" is coffee, orange juice, slices of bread, and a waffle maker. I didn't even try the food because, to be honest, I don't trust that it's at all sanitary and not expired.

I did complain in the morning to (surprise, surprise), Rocky --- but he NOT ONCE looked at me and all he would say is "fine" and that was it.

If you're looking for a super cheap room, FIRST --- DO NOT BOOK AT THE HOTEL DIRECTLY! Look online and you will find amazingly cheap rates for this place. If you go to the hotel directly he is going to try and charge you over $100 as I personally saw while I was checking in. Second --- be prepared for dirty rooms that are NOT up to code at all and have bugs and crap all over.

Oh, and thanks to the mold and the humid room I subjected myself to, I'm now getting a horrible respiratory infection. Moral of the story is, even if you work in the industry, do NOT go easy on properties like this!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building (the same as the lobby and laundry) are MUCH better than the other ro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lizzie M
knightsinnfortmyersf, Webmaster at Motel 6 North Fort Myers, responded to this review, March 14, 2013

Thank you for choosing Knights Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Front desk staff Mr. Rocky received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you experienced with the Carpet, Microwave, Broken tiles in the lobby and AC unit in your room and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.

We take our reviews seriously. I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Knights Inn. I think you will be very pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
North Port, Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2013

- Bathroom was filthy and should be condemed as unsafe,
- The plumbing fixtures were broken and dirty,
- Bathroom Linoleum was lifting off from the floor’s base.
- Room Carpet was dirty,
- Breakfast selection was limited,
- The rooms are located close to the main highway. Save for the lock on room door, no other security measures (staff/cameras/etc.) were noted. We felt personally unsafe.
. On the positive side- The air conditioning worked well. Shopping and eating selections are plentiful in the area.

Room Tip: I suggest making reservations.The nightly rate may be lower than if you just appear off the street...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed M

Thank you for choosing Knights Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you experienced with the Carpet, The plumbing fixture, Bathroom Linoleum in your room and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.

• The security staff was instructed and received extra training in making sure that the guests feel safe in any way.

• The persons in charge of the breakfast received additional training in what is expected of them in presenting a proper and variety of Breakfast.

Travelers are raving about these North Fort Myers hotels

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Tired and ready to go to sleep, i pulled back the blankets only to find DIRTY SHEETS, there was scabs and specs of blood on the sheets, also a rodent dropping, they obviously were NOT changed. Picked up the washcloth at the sink and bugs fell out of it. The drawers on the entertainment center have an awful mildew-ey smell, also found vodka bottles stashed all around the room in plain view, so whoever cleaned this room must not have payed much attention. Also noticed a quarter sized spot of blood on the wall (close to the ceiling) while in the shower. Overall I'm just very disgusted.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Valandbri

Thank you for choosing Knights Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Household staff was instructed not to release rooms as ready for occupancy until they are properly stocked and cleaned.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of possible bugs and instructed to look into the matter and to see to their elimination.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is absolutely disgusting, ashes on the towel racks in bathroom, hair on sheets and comforter, yellow spots on sheets and comforter, no microwave, refrigerator has liquid and mold in it, pillows have hair all over them, door doesn't lock, fire alarm goes off in a smoking room. DO NOT stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank debbiesla

Thank you for choosing Knights Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of the doors, Fire alarm goes off in a smoking room and No microwave in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to the needed repairs or replacement.

Tarpon Springs
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have stayed at this location several times when it was a Motel 6. It is now a Knights Inn. The room did have a "doggie" smell when we entered. Otherwise it was clean as was the bathroom. Sleep quality was also good and the heater worked well. There are about 10 TV channels available. Breakfast consisted of do-it yourself waffles, toast, juice, & coffee. Check in was also fast. Considering the prices of other local motels, this was a good value. NOTE: The hotel is undergoing renovations. Our floor had a few sags in it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MJGoldfarb
knightsinnfortmyersf, Webmaster at Motel 6 North Fort Myers, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Knights Inn during your recent visit to our area.

Thank you for appreciating the positive sides of the hotel and your stay. It is always nice to hear from an esteemed guest like you.

We have taken adequate steps to ensure the very best to make your next stay at our hotel a memorable experience.

The next time you visit our area, please choose to stay at the Knights Inn and you shall be greatly pleased.

Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My first room smelled like pure cat urine, then i moved to a roach invested room. Rocky the manager was nice and gave me a full refund.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank BXDIVER
Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Knights Inn during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate the review and we take it quite seriously for improvement.

We apologize for your experience howsoever it might have happened.

We have engaged a professional team to check all the amenities and to ensure the rooms are in the finest condition before a new guest is checked in.

We request you to make a note of our efforts and request you to stay with us in future and have a new satisfactory experience.

Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Rather than pay the absurdly high seasonal prices for a room on Ft. Myers Beach, I found a treasure motel a half an hour away on Cleveland Ave. in North Ft. Myers. The motel is clean, away from heavy road traffic and with a restaurant next door. Very basic, a coffee maker the only amenity but with a nice front staff . As I do not plan to entertain the crowned heads of Europe, the clean and quiet room works for me. There is a decent pool for the guests.
My advice for the Ft. Myers 'beachgoers' -- leave for the beach around 7AM, you'll beat the bridge traffic and can park at the beach for $6 for the day. The $ 50 you save is better spent for a nice lunch near the beach. Try the Beached Whale!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Peter V
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Fort Myers
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfront
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfro...
#1 of 4 in North Fort Myers
Legacy Harbour Hotel & Suites
#31 of 59 in Fort Myers
Holiday Inn Fort Myers - Downtown Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Cape Coral/Fort Myers Area

Been to Motel 6 North Fort Myers? Share your experiences!