“Love the River View”

Best Western Fort Myers Waterfront
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Older hotel but room was nice. Balcony view is great. You can smoke on balcony. I've stayed on different floors, and the higher you go the more you hear the traffic noise. Not a factor on weekends, but the weekday morning rush is loud. Restaurant was being renovated, but the IHop next door is convenient, although I didn't eat there, it looked popular. Most of the staff was very nice, always seems to be one with an attitude, but none were rude. Room was large and clean. Have to use a cable hook-up in room, but the internet was fast. AARP was $82 + 11%.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed October 25, 2010

I needed a hotel room for one night in the Fort Myers area. I've never been there before so I just went by the reviews I read here and the cost. The hotel seemed to be inexpensive enough and I thought the location would be quite good.
First, I had a bit of a difficult time finding the hotel because my GPS could not locate the correct address. It was very late at night by the time I got there so I was happy to just get there and get a night's sleep.

The hotel has definitely seen it's best days. It's pretty old and shabby. There is a restaurant next door (shares the parking lot), I think it was an IHOP. However, it was not a plus. The whole area looked quite run down and I was not too reassured about my personal safety. In all fairness, no one threatened me but the few guys I saw around did not inspire any good feelings.. I think the person behind the desk was polite enough, but I cannot remember any specially good attention or treatment.

I parked my car and hid all my valuables or took them with me into the room. The room entrances all face the parking lot and are all too accessible to anyone loitering in the area. I hauled my luggage up the stairs and shlepped it into the room. The door did not fit very well in the frame and you could see light around the edges. It also did not shut tightly although the lock did turn. Inside there was no way to secure the door aginst anyone with a key or burglar tools. Also the bathroom window was all to easy to use as an entrance by anyone who did not mind breaking a couple of jalousies or breaking an old lock.

The room was somewhat clean, but it did have a very funky odor like those old hotel rooms with the cold, humid smelly A/C units. The bed was not too uncomfortable although there was not enough light to see very well. The accommodations were spartan at best. The carpet was threadbare or very dirty. I could not determine which, but I did not want to step on it in my bare feet.. The closet was also dingy and smelly. I think there was a little microwave stove inside the closet but no coffee machine or coffee. Actually I don't remember if there were any glasses, plates or plastic spoons or forks.

I was so tired that I ignored all the issues and went to bed. In all honesty I was not eager to get in the bed as I was pretty disappointed by the apparent dinginess of everything. I generally don't worry too much in hotels but for some reason I felt very unsafe here. I pushed as much of the old, rickety furniture as I could in front of the door and hoped that no fire would break and trap me in there. This was one time that I wished I had a 9 mm with lots of bullets by my bedside table.

Anyway, I did not need to fear anything more that the dingy room itself. In all fairness, the whole fear thing was probably all in my head. Nobody bothered me or caused any problems and the place was pretty quiet too. In the morning I opened the window and was treated to a very nice view of the water. I rigged up some instant coffee in a cup I brought with a bottle of water I had and some instant coffee. The IHOP next door was as dingy and uninviting as the hotel itself so I waited to have breakfast at some more inviting place.

This is only my opinion and my impression of the place. But I would not return to this hotel. The price of $69 per night seemed cheap but it was no bargain considering the condition and quality of the place. The staff seemed polite enough and I cannot really complain about them. In the daytime the area did not look so scary although it still was very shabby and looked like the kind of area where not very legitimate business takes place. Just my opinion, but I would have never stopped there if I had seen it before.

All that being said, I did get shelter for one night and nothing "bad" happened to me. However, I would not recommend this hotels to my friends or family because they would not be happy with it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank traveller2Atlanta_GA
Reviewed October 22, 2010

This hotel was a great surprise. The location was beautiful, right on the beach.
The beach,pool, and landscaping are attractive and well teaken care of. This hotel is very clean and a pleasure to stay at. We will return.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days and were less than pleased. The rooms were large and comfortable, however we were promised a room overlooking the pool, even knowing that we had a small dog. Once we checked in, we were put in a building that, although it overlooked the river, we still had a view of the maintenance shed. The housekeeping staff was friendly but lacked cleaning skills. An unspoken rule is: if you leave something on your bed, they aren't allowed to make it. There was still trash in the waste baskets and the bathroom floors and vanity obviously hadn't been touched.
The front desk staff had a sprinkle of friendly employees, but it seemed the manager was the one who worked hard at making your stay unpleasant. This is an outdoor corridor hotel and it seems it was converted from private residences a while ago.
We checked out a day early and moved to the LaQuinta on Daniels and I 75 and we are very happy in this clean, friendly and beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank Seekingcomfort
Reviewed January 30, 2010

We had a beautiful room. they have kitchens so we could buy our own food and prepare it, which helps save on money. they have a cont. breakfast that is wonderful. the rooms are some of the cleanest we have ever stayed in, and the sunsets are breathetaking. They clean the beach infront of the Hotel. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. If you like up to date, you must stay here.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I ran a reunion at this hotel and the staff could not have been better. The views from the room were fantastic. It was just over the 41 bridge from Fort Myers on the shore of the Clahoosahatchie River. Three restaurants within walking distance. No free breakfast but IHOP in the same parking lot. There are two municipal golf courses within a 15 minute drive. Eastwood Golf Club was beautiful and the staff there was very accomodating.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel is right on the river in North Fort Myers, Florida.
We haved stayed here numerous times and always return.
the rooms are spacious, clean great balconies.
staff always helpful, in fact the front desk staff helped us find our favorite pizza at Big League Pizza great pizza free delivery. a must
will plan on staying here again soon

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers - Colonial Blvd
2 mi away
Holiday Inn Fort Myers - Downtown Area
Casa Loma Motel on the Waterfront

Been to Best Western Fort Myers Waterfront? Share your experiences!