“Bed Bugs”

BEST WESTERN Fort Myers Waterfront
Berkley
“Bed Bugs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Not sure why my previous review of this hotel didn't post, but I am writing another one so I can make people aware of what they're getting into and what to look out for.
Bed Bugs. room 423 in the west tower. bed bug infestation. I will keep this short since I'm not sure if this review will be stopped from being published somehow. Basically we were having a good time at this hotel (restaurant was decent, pool was ok-no towels provided/not heated, the room had a great view and nice amenities). When we sat down before going to bed my friend noticed 3 bugs crawling on her bed in a row. We decided to do a bed bugs check and there they were-covering the back of both box springs/mattresses. Large infestations that were obviously there for an extended period of time. It was pretty horrific.
The way it was handled was also, in my opinion, poor. It was nearing midnight and there was no manager on duty-the front desk clerk told us we would not have to pay for our room but beyond that he had "no authorization to do anything". We asked repeatedly if he could contact a manager to come up with a solution for where we were going to sleep for the night, because we weren't going to pay $150 for possibly taking home a bed bug infestation. he informed us there was no way to contact the manager. So we started calling other hotels-all were either sold out or very expensive for the few hours we would be sleeping there. After trying to get a room elsewhere the front desk clerk said he was able to contact his manager and she authorized a change in rooms at no cost-a wonderful solution, if only it could have happened when the problem occurred and not nearly 2 hours later.
we made a complete check for bed bugs in the new room-everything checked out fine, we did not see anything but that did not stop us from having extremely paranoid sleep. In fact our date of stay at this hotel was 2/17/14 and i'm still having some paranoid sleep at home.
I really wish this hotel did more regular checks for problems like bed bugs, I'm sure if they did this wouldn't have gotten so out of hand. I also wish they had policies in place for the people they choose to be in charge when a manager cannot be.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Norton, Massachusetts, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was out first trip to Fort Myers. We caught a Red Sox game at the Jet Blue Park which was close, about 25 minutes away. This hotel was conveniently located for us and you can't beat the view. The pool and restaurant were very good, and there were other places to eat close by. I would stay again. I thought I recived an excellent price. I was with my husband, but did see several friends enjoying their time together. My only regret was that I wished I booked longer. Not great if you're looking for the beach.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Lake Worth, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Staff could use additional Customer Service training. One 6 floor building entirely without a working ice machine. The beautiful location and view made up for the shortcoming. Great restaurant on site in addition to an I Hop next door. Don't bother with the hotel I Hop voucher for $6.00 per person (which they add the cost to your hotel bill). Seniors can order for less off the 55+ menu.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Coon Rapids, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights. We had a ground floor room. I noticed that the patio door did not have a latch (it was missing/destroyed). It did have a "jamb bar" to prevent opening, but the latch worried me being on the ground level. I did report it upon checking out and they said they would fix it. The room was older construction but everything else worked. There is a small public beach nearby and a fishing pier. The pool was smaller but a nice place to catch some sun and relax. There are three restaurants very close; an IHOP, a pizza place and a dinner place (Firehouse Sports Grill) that was fantastic! There is also a seafood restaurant (3 Fishermans Seafood) on site.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gspielman
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

We spent a week at this hotel this year. The rooms were clean and quite nice. Unfortunately we were supposed to have a waterfront room but ended up behind the waterfront restaurant. The pool was supposed to be heated but the heater was broke. The front desk didn't seem to know anything about it. No free breakfast, you had to buy a voucher for $6.50 at the front desk. It was good for the IHop on the property. It was a very limited menu. This hotel would not be my first choice if I return to Fort Myers FL.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger, but I suggest the 2nd floor or higher. Much better views
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Elk Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed February 15th in a superior view room. The view was great. The room huge and very clean. The only complaint was the ice machine on the fifth floor was broke with a sign saying use the one on the second floor. Went there and it had a sign saying it too was broke use the one in the east building. Bad enough they ony have two machines, worse when both are broke.

Would stay again as the view is great. We watched the fireworks over the river for the Edison Festival.

Room Tip: Get the superior view room, woth the extra
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrightonBill
West Bend WI, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

just stay 1 Feb 17 2014 night at Best western I got of priceline express deal so surprize how great the hotel was read mixed reviews but I was meeting a friend for drinks happy hour 3 - 6 pm try groper fingers so good staff was great the bed and the view from my room on 5th was great there nice pool

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Edison at Midtown
Edison at Midtown
#24 of 58 in Fort Myers
Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District

Been to BEST WESTERN Fort Myers Waterfront? Share your experiences!