“LOVED IT!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Captiva Island
Jensen's "On the Gulf"
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Clarion, Pennsylvania
“LOVED IT!!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We truly LOVED Jensen's on the Gulf! Adorable place, fantastic location!! We stayed in the Post Office Sweet.......it's beautifully decorated to beachy perfection, well equipped. A VERY short walk across a sandy shell parking lot, and you're at the beach. We had no complaints, and would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Monet3103

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Indiana
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and I were scheduled to stay at "On the Gulf" from October 10-October 15. However, a huge industrial operation is (currently) in the process of "replenishing" the beach--moving sand from the sea floor to the coastline. On Thursday October 10, the bulk of the equipment was directly--I mean exactly--in front of Jensen's "On the Gulf" and their beach was closed, cordoned off with orange fencing.

I have one complaint and I'll state it first: Keith, the fellow who handles reservations for "On the Gulf", did not notify me until Wednesday, October 9, the day before our check-in. I was leaving that night and my wife was already in Florida, so this was much too late. I am fully aware that the start date was unclear and they had no control over it, but Keith really should have warned us sooner that this was possible so we could change plans if we wished.

Now on to how the Jensen brothers dealt with this:

-they refunded our deposit immediately.

-they let us stay in one of their marina cottages Thursday night for free (and we found other beachfront accommodations for Friday-Tuesday). The marina cottages are very nice, but my wife really wanted to be gulf-front while I fished during the day.

-they loaned me, for free, all the fishing gear that was loan-able.

More to the point, they were apologetic, friendly, and helpful at every turn. They also put me onto a great fishing guide, Nelson Diaz, whom I recommend wholeheartedly.

My family has visited St George Island in the northern gulf at least 10 times and we love it. But I have to say, in ALL of those visits combined, the fishing guides and especially the tackle/bait store owners were not as helpful as the Jensens staff was on this one trip. They are knowledgeable, but, most of all, they are just plain friendly. People don't talk to you like you're an idiot because your fishing experience is in freshwater back in Indiana.

Our experience was not perfect, but it could have been a whole lot worse. Faced with a difficult situation that was beyond their control (minus the part about giving us a little earlier heads up), the Jensens showed what kind of people they are. We were impressed.

Go here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank calebindiana
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The setting is really wonderful with a view to the ocean that you can walk to, private balcony. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom adequate but very small and the shower floor was not clean. There was a little side closet/room with a small refrigerator and coffee maker that was handy. The Honeymoon Suite was clean but a little dated but okay for "beachy". Only one free outlet in the whole place except for a double outlet in the bathroom it was hard to charge our phones and iPads. The TV was very old but then that is not why we were there.
My "private beach paradise" was ruined because this idyllic setting was located on a corner of the main road. The road was not visible from our room, but the trucks and car traffic noise was definitely loud and annoying and took away from the ambiance of the setting. The noise was not bothersome on the beach, only in our room and porch, even with the air conditioning turned on. There was no maid service or towel exchange but the gentleman on premises was polite and brought a cooler of ice when we arrived. I think this would be better suited to families with children for the beach access but not for a romantic getaway unless you don't mind the traffic noise.

Room Tip: Just know there is a good amount of road noise especially in the upstairs Honeymoon Suite. If you ca...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kelleygirl2
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed at Jensen House the first week of October. There were 4 adults and three small children. The house and its "backyard" were simply perfect for us. It is mere steps to the beach. The kitchen is well-equipped with basics, but there were no seasonings or coffee, so bring your own. We used the screened-in porch constantly. The decks were also a frequent hangout. The vegetation on the house-side of the dune provided a natural fence to define the play area for the kids. One of the best features is the outdoor shower. I am not sure that anyone in the group used the shower and tub indoors. This lovely shower helped keep loads of sand out of the house. We also appreciated the laundry room with w/d.
The sunsets are beautiful and since the island is so narrow you are just steps from the sunrise as well. The Jensen brothers are salt-of-the earth and will do anything to make sure their guests have what they need.
Keep in mind that sunscreen and bug spray are requirements. We also toted along and used jelly fish treatment. However, this should not deter you from lovely Captiva. We miss it already.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Soggydollars
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Jensen bros. marina cottages in the past and have always been pleased with the cleanliness and quaintness of the cottages. They are convenient to everything Captiva and the manatees are right there all the time. This time we stayed at the Beach Nest House on the gulf side with another couple and we were all pleased with the spaciousness and nearly a private beach. We loved it and didn't lose any of the convenience of the marina cottages. The beach houses or the marina cottages can't be beat.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Bilsano
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Ok - I'll keep this brief as I fear once I start waxing lyrical about this place I won't stop! Stayed in the beach cottage for 4 nights - wish it'd been longer, family of 4 (2 teenagers). Being from the UK we had not heard of Captiva - which is a gem. The Jensen crew are wonderful and go the extra mile. We even had a comp 2hour boat trip with the friendly and knowledgable Jeff as our captain. Now at the end of our two week whistle-stop tour of Florida our stay at Jensens will be the highlight - a very special place indeed ! Exceptional sums it up :)

Room Tip: I don't think you could find a bad one but the beach house is wonderful
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Stockytravel
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This place is great! Low-key, laid-back, extremely clean. The Jensen brother I met was a great guy and we are anxious to return!!!! Great food in walking distance. Interesting old graveyard in the town area. I like the Captiva atmosphere more than Sanibel, not sure why. The manatees at the dock area is another plus. This is one of the few places that we will return to again and again. There is a great grocery store in Sanibel, so we only ate out for dinner.

Room Tip: We liked the old post office building but will try a spot that overlooks the beach next time.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
#10 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Jensen's "On the Gulf"? Share your experiences!