“Definatively, and sadly, one of the worst meals.”
Review of Old Captiva House

Old Captiva House
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Captiva House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 2 miles north of Blind Pass Bridge
Description: Welcome to the historic, award-winning Old Captiva House Restaurant, Gulf-front at the legendary, historic 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa. We invite you to sample our delicious New Florida cuisine, served with our gorgeous Captiva Island sunsets. Come, feast your eyes and your appetites tonight.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

After waiting for an hour for a table (in a half-filled dining room), we sat and ordered the following - APPS: my wife ordered a watermellon and tomato salad with goat cheese. I ordered the stone crab bisque. Her salad arrived with nearly no goat cheese (it was smeared lighting on one of the tomatoes). My soup arrived (30 minutes later) and was salty beyond repair - sent back.
Then the main event - I had grilled halibut with lobster and safron risotto and she had bacon wrapped shrimp. My fish was overcooked and safron risottto was lukewarm brown mushy rice. Her dish was dripping of orange oil, and was simply gross. Both sent back. In the end, being "voted best on Captiva" got us in the door but wow, what a loser. Never again. To their credit tho, we only got charged for the food we ate, but the manager never came to apologize, and was only steps away.

GeneralManager22, Manager at Old Captiva House, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Andrew S

Thank you for taking time to speak with me personally about your dining experience at The Old Captiva House Restaurant. I again apologize that your visit was less than perfect and I thank you for both the positive and negative comments you shared on the phone and in your review. As I mention we take all reviews very seriously and appreciate the feedback we receive for our guests. I have shared your comments and suggestions with our chef and management and we will be making some adjustments. One change we are very excited about is the addition of our new food and beverage director. He comes to us with a wealth of knowledge and experience in the food and beverage industry and customer service. We feel he will make an immediate impact to our guests dining experience and satisfaction. Thank you again for taking the time to speak with me and informing me that you would be dining with us again in the future. We look forward to your return visit. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Doug Babcock
Vice President
Rochester Resorts Inc.
Dougbabcock22@gmail.com

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Original creative culinary pleasure here at Old Captiva House. And, one of the first restaurants that offered Red Snapper. Presentation and taste of everything outstanding...however, not a fan of the coconut in the Key Lime Pie crust...

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Quaint place, but no real views for dining. Food was very good but a bit expensive. Place was pretty quiet so we had no problem with service. Shrimp stuffed appetizers were very good!

1  Thank MissWisconsin
Reviewed October 25, 2012

It is an understatement to say this place is great! Chef Jason Miller is not only personable, this guy can deliver a meal experience! Everything from the complimentary 'teaser' appetizer of smoked salmon inside some kind of pastry, to the after-dinner dark chocolate delicacy was a memory unlike any other! We ordered the filet and the seared duck entrees, with an appetizer of baked Brie with raspberry sauce. Cannot begin to describe the complexity of fantastic flavors that evolved. Our server, Robert, was attentive, engaging and anticipated our every need! If Captiva is worth your time to visit, and we couldn't imagine why not, then Old Captiva House is a must!!

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

So, I have to admit, our evening did NOT start out well. I made a reservation and asked to be seated by the window so we could watch the sunset. When we arrived, we were taken to the very BACK of the restaurant. When I mentioned this to the hostess, she said, "Well, you can get up to watch the sunset, we don't tie anyone to their seats." Yes, she really said that. At this point, I was ready to leave... However, the waiter immediately came up to serve us and he was VERY friendly. I wish I could remember his name because he actually saved the night. He was very knowledgeable about the menu and helped us make our dinner choices. I had scallops and my husband the fish entree. Everything was DELICIOUS! We did untie:) ourselves from our seats to go outside to watch the gorgeous sunset - and I took my wine with me. We had creme brûlée in a chocolate shell that was to die for. Would I dine here again, you betcha!

2  Thank lparker220