“Excellent Ambience”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2008

My wife and I had dinner at this restaurant on 23 Dec 2008. The service was excellent; the staff was very friendly. We have visited Captiva Island for years and have come to expect good service and food. The Sunshine Seafood Cafe exceeded those expectations. We recommend a meal there. Set asisde 1.5 hours. Order the triple tail or grouper!

There are newer reviews for Sunshine Seafood Cafe

Reviewed May 3, 2008

This is a little place just before you hit South Seas. Eating on the porch is the best option. The menu, no question, is limited. But we have eaten there twice over the past year. Found the food excellent, service is a tad slow. But it was quite enjoyable.

1  Thank Chicken_Carbonara
Reviewed April 11, 2008

We stumbled across this place after finding out that the Bubble Room wait was 45 minutes @7:30pm. We walked across the streat, looked at the menu and said ... why not.

We were seated right away at a lovely table outside on the terrace.

While I would agree with some of the past reviews that the service was slow, the food was worth the wait. The wait staff were certainly concious of the pace of service and did their best to keep things moving along. They are just one cook and one wait staff short of what is probably needed.

You have to set low expectations in Florida, especially in resort only towns like Captiva. However, this little restaurant was definitely trying to serve Haute Cuisine and in the end served accomplishedf a respectable meal that would have been considered very good to excellent in any town, city or country.

If you are looking for a fast meal, I would say ski Sunshine Seafood. However, if you are staying at the South Seas Resort and want to find a worthwhile evening meal, you can't beat the short walk and high quality fare offered at Sunshine Seafood.

Skip the Bubble Room and dine here instead.

1  Thank BonConseil
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Last year when we visited Captiva, this restaurant was simply fabulous---terrific food, great service, etc etc...I could not wait to get back there this year. Was I ever disappointed! Under new management now, the restaurant has upped their prices, while lowering the quality of the food at the same time it seems. The service was attrocious---I had to send back my appaetizer twice til they got it right. And my husband's mussels contained hardly any mussels in their shell!! Half of his mussel shells were completely empty.
I felt so disappointed when I left because last year this restaurant was phenomenal and now its just over priced, and sub par.

3  Thank LisaGipper
Reviewed March 23, 2006

Don't bother with this overpriced restaurant that also has terrible service. After ordering a bottle of wine we waited 20 minutes for the server to come back to our table without the wine and say "so where are we?" Food was OK but the wait was too painfully long and the restaurant was not filled by any means.

4  Thank pdk