“Not what it used to be...”
Review of The Mucky Duck

The Mucky Duck
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Had an okay but expensive dinner there. Food was fine, but not sure it was worth it. The fish and chips didn't look like any fish I had ever seen, looked like a deep fried hotdog. Probably won't return...

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I think the title says it all. The location of Mucky Duck is probably the best on the island. Our server was also very kind. Just not very good food, so don't expect a great meal if you go here.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We make this our lunch stop at least once or twice during our yearly visits. The menu is diverse, and usually includes a seafood and a pasta daily special. We've tried each in the past, along with fish and chips, the Captiva sandwich, and the crunchy grouper - all wonderful.

This year, we went rogue and enjoyed what we not-so-exaggeratedly described to our waitress (and, by extension to those around us) as "the best salads on the planet". Both the "Garden Salad" (with creamy tomato dressing) and the "Spinach Salad" (with their champagne vinaigrette dressing) were superb. One day we ordered the spinach salad with grilled shrimp, another day without - and a garden salad both days - which we both shared along with some icy cold suds - nothing like it on Captiva.

The staff is fun, and they all seem like career regulars - we've been served by the same smiling faces and the same fun-loving pranksters (that's YOU Laurie) for a decade at the Mucky Duck.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We've been visiting the Mucky Duck on Captiva for over 20 years and have great memories of a rustic shack on the beach run by cheery, relaxed people who enjoy serving decent food and cold drinks.

Whereas outwardly nothing has changed our latest experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

I went to the bar to order a couple of salads for lunch on Monday 4th November but mid-sentence the server pushed a small, laminated sheet in front of me. I stopped ordering to read the sheet which I presumed would be the specials but found that it was in fact a multi-language card explaining how to tip my server. I found this very odd as I was part way through ordering and have never had this happen to me before even though I'm a regular visitor to the States.

After thanking my server for the advice, I continued to order, paid up front for the meal (including $8 tip), took my drinks outside and waited for my food.

Less than 5 minutes later a loud-hailer announced that my food was ready. I went back inside and found my lunch on the bar surrounded by customers ordering drinks. I had to excuse my way through them to reach my lunch and asked the server why she hadn't brought it to our table. She gave a curt response, explaining that there were only three of them working and "we don't do that anyway". I asked why I'd just tipped her $8 for "waitress service" as the tipping guide card calls it when she'd simply just taken my order and not actually provided any sort of service. She just ignored my reply and walked off shaking her head.

The Spinach salad with shrimp that I'd ordered for $15.00 wasn't really a salad, just a large bag of spinach tipped on to a plastic plate with half a boiled egg, a few nuts and 3 segments of mandarin orange dumped on the top. The dressing came in a separate pot which I had to apply myself. The shrimp was tasty but I felt that I'd been supplied the component parts of a dish rather than a meal that had been carefully prepared and was ready to eat.

Plastic plates, plastic cutlery, no waitress service outside, staff who've forgotten how to talk to a customer and below average food.

It's a real shame as I have very fond memories of this place but it's lost the plot.

3  Thank RTP1980
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The live music and the atmosphere was great but the food was a bit overpriced for the quality. It's still a fun place to go hang out and enjoy the scene.