“Great drinks, so-so food”

Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille Captiva
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Bar, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Spring, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great drinks, so-so food”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We came around 9:30 which might be why our food wasn't very good. I'd like to try it during their peak time to see if the food is different.

I ordered the kids burger and my husband ordered the tempura shrimp. My burger was very over cooked and the meat-to-bread ratio was very off. I think they put a kids patty on an adult bun. The fries were good.

My husband's shrimp was very very burned and very unsatisfying. Tempura is supposed to be "lightly fried." His were hard to cut into and almost black. We ordered the bean dip to fill him up. The bean dip was way over seasoned with cumin and was just a can of beans with some cheese, chopped tomatoes, and jalapenos on top - don't get it.

I wanted to give a 2-star rating, but gave 3 because we came at such a late hour. However, they charge the same amount for the food so you think it would be the same quality.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Elizabeth R
Doc F, Manager at Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille Captiva, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
I am sincerely sorry that your experience fell short of our standards. We take great pride in customer service and satisfaction. I can only hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to inform us on what is going on, so that we can take the proper measures to resolve these issues. It's people like you that help us improve by providing your feedback.

• Finnish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice place”
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

I knew this place was new before we got there. It is a really nice restaurant, with very friendly staff. The food was good, and the service was pleasant, but the waiter was very sporadic. Our drinks took ten minutes to show up, then the food didn't get to the table for at least a half hour after we ordered. It wasn't busy. The waiter was the only thing I was disappointed with.

Northfield, New Jersey
“Great Surprise”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed on Captiva over the week of April 20th for Spring Break. We could not say enough about the island. We were told that the new Doc Ford's on Captiva was great. So we tried it one evening with our family. We all loved it, would highly recommend.

• Visited April 2014
Rockton, Illinois
“Great Restaurant and Staff!”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

After a morning on the beach at Captiva, we went to Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille Captiva. What a great experience. Our waitress was Judi and she was fantastic. She seated us an immediately got us water with lemon. Obviously she knew we had come from the beach and the temperatures were very warm. The food was excellent. My wife had one of the best salads she has ever tasted. It was a special that day and had deep green lettuce, mango, strawberries, pecans and was topped with a filet of lightly pecan crusted Basa fish. I had the Panko Crusted Fish Sandwich and I can see why it was voted as the best fish sandwich. As we were leaving, Judi handed us water to go! The hostess was very friendly as well. Judi is definitely an asset to Doc's. We would highly recommend this restaurant and we would go back in a heartbeat.

• Visited May 2014
Stratford, Canada
“Great place”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This restaurant is much bigger than you can tell from the outside. It must get jumping when it is full. We were there for lunch and it was not too busy. Terrific selection on the menue with reasonable pricing. Atmosphere was great with terrific service. What more could you ask for.

Visited April 2014