“Loved It!!”

Captiva Island Inn Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My daughter just returned from a week at the Captiva Inn B&B. We loved it from the moment we walked into our room. I was a bit nervous reading some of the previous reviews of the property, but we were pleasently suprised. We rented the smallest of the rooms, the Daisy Cottage. It was just right for the two of us. The daily maid service was great and we were treated to daily breakfasts at RC Otters and Key Lime Bestro. The menu choises were amazing and we never left breakfast hungry. We fell in love with Captiva and the beach was beautiful. I was hard for us to leave. When we do return to Captiva, we will definately be staying at the Captiva B&B. We were not disappointed in the least. If you are looking for a high class hotel experience, this is not the place for you. If you want a comfortable, cozy, and authentic experience, I recomment the Captive B&B.
I would also recommend that if you need a car for your visit to rent from Sensible Car Rental. They service was exceptional and the price was the best I have found in the area.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Starlene

Reviewed June 23, 2007

We just checked out today and had a wonderful time at the Inn. It was a gift from my parents and I read trip advisor and with some of the bad reviews I almost didn't want to come. It's a fun little place to stay and the innkeeper was very nice and not at all what other reviewers said. Our room was clean and brightly furnished. The breakfast daily was delicious and I couldn't decide wheter Keylime Bistro was my favorite or RC Otters. We'll be back for our 2 anniversary. I am a chef and I love to eat! What a treat ! A true man sized meal!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FortMyers_FlCjoe
Reviewed June 15, 2007

Having read some reviews, just felt we had to write in. Bill has been the friendliest, most helpful person each time we have stayed at the Inn. We have been 4 times and have been in the cottages and the main house from the tiny Love Shack to the top floor of the house. It is our favourite place, don't go if you want impeccable service and lots of staff - do go if you want to relax and enjoy the beach and chill out away from huge hotel chains.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank LolaF
Reviewed June 10, 2007

Dont bother with this over priced worn out smelly dump!. Management is rude, all they want is your money. The smell is awful behind the restaurant, they had a guy on the roof of the restaurant all night with a pressure washer trying to clean it up. Very loud all nite long, got no sleep! Mangement didnt care at all, not even a sorry. The bed was held together with wire, the wood floors are dry rotted (nasty) I would reccomend astay in Sanibel and just visit Captiva for the day.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JimFtMyersFL
Reviewed June 3, 2007

Its really a shame this hotel could be so nice if it wasnt for the total lack of customer service of the inn keeper . This was our experience. - I just returned from captiva and stayed at the captiva inn - for the first few nights it was great - because next door the renters were quiet - but the last few nights I had the worst experience- The room next to me was a room full of partiers and the inn is definitely not sound proof - WE couldnt sleep for 3 nights - The inn keeper Bill did nothing when we complained - - So after 3 nights of not sleeping - We lost it - and unfortunately the partiers got the brunt of our complaint , which wasnt our intention - The inn keeper should have handled it properly by moving us or accomidating our complaint in some way , But he didnt. In fact he asked us to leave - WE were made to be the bad guys because we just wanted a relaxing vacation. On travel advisor - I noticed a few other couples experienced the same thing - It really is a shame , I have to beleive the owner Sandy Stillwell simply is not aware of these issues - because no sound business owner would want these types of complaints on the internet - I am seeing more and more complaints on this forum - they just keep arising in what could be such a great place.

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank Holland123
Reviewed May 24, 2007

We booked a short get-away for our 20th anniversary based on the location and the Inn's website. After doing so, I read the reviews on Trip Advisor. Some of the reviews were horrible, while others favorable, so we went in with an open mind. We are not picky travelers, as long as the property is clean and safe, we're OK with it. The following is a short synopsis of our experience:

Location: Couldn't have been better. Short walk to the beach, and several restaurants inc. Mucky Duck, Bubble Room and Key Lime Bistro. Also a small store for supplies, beer, wine and liquor.

Condition: This is where the problems start. We stayed in the Bird of Paradise cottage. Upon arrival Bill (who was just short of being unpleasent) told us that they were having a problem with the shower, which we needed to pull with great force to turn on. My guess is, this problem has been going on for a long time. The air conditioner was a window unit and it worked well but was so loud that everytime it came on it woke us up at night. On the third night, I finally figured out if you turned the fan all the way up, it wouldn't be AS noisy. Some of the wood had rotted and was either left alone or painted (poorly) over. The overall maintenance was extremely bad, and it looked as though the furniture came from assorted garage sales and flea markets.

Cleanliness: Well, upon arrival we found FECES on the toilet tank, flush handle and the bathroom floor. Luckily my wife is a germophobe and always carries disenfectant spray, wipes and gloves. I am not as bad as her, but I'll have to admit, this was as bad as I've ever seen.

Critters: Yes critters! Keep in mind that this room has no real ceiling, only rafters and a tin roof overhead. Upon arrival we heard something running on our roof, but didn't think too much of it. When we went outside we were entertained by a family (I counted 5 but there could have been 6) racoons playing on the rooftops of all the cottages. We were told by the people in the cottage next door that there were 5 snakes in one of the trees. Yeah racoons are cute and all, but believe me many carry rabies, and although these looked pretty tame, I'm not willing to take the risk on vacation. These racoons woke us up EVERY night!

Smells: As stated by some other reviewers, there were some garbage smells coming from the restaurant, however for the most part you would have to be sitting on the side porch and the wind would have to be blowing in that direction to smell it. Because the patio wood was so rotted and the furniture so dirty, we didn't venture out there after we first checked it out. The good thing is, they emptied the dumpster virtually every day AT 3:30 AM!!! I know everyone has heard the sound of a dumpster being emptied.

Sounds: The music from both restaurants could be heard from our room, but it was not too bad, even enjoyable from the front porch, the AC unit drown out music from inside.

Food: The breakfast at the Key Lime Bistro was very good, not so much at RC Otters. Keep in mind that both these and the new Mexican and seafood restaurants around the corner are owned by the same people.

Overall: I wasn't going in expecting too much and what I got was less. I think that someone else reviewed this property said what I too think. It is a real shame, if someone put just a little effort into these places they would be GREAT, but it looks like they have no money to spend or little interest in spending it, on improvements.

Bottom line: If you want a "funky, old Florida" place to stay, this is your spot, as long as you don't mind poor hygene, poor maintenance, indifferent people, and critters.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank opharbor
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Located in the village on Andy Rosse Lane, this bed and breakfast has several cute cottages. If you like colorful decor, this is your place. Do not expect modern bathrooms! I enjoyed the second floor apartment next door to the trendy French restaurant which featured a musician on its patio. (The food there is very pricey, so I just ordered appetizers!) It was fun to watch the passing parade beneath my porch as folks stolled down to watch the sunset on the beach. The pool was behind my unit and quite secluded. Note to travelers with pets: You can take your dog to the outside dining areas at the Mucky Duck and R.C. Otter's on Andy Rosse! The price for the unit included breakfast across the street at Otter's. It was quite good and would feed 2 people!

Stayed: March 2006
2 mi away
South Seas Island Resort
South Seas Island Resort
#2 of 4 in Captiva Island

Been to Captiva Island Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!