“Great Florida Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Wisconsin
“Great Florida Hotel”
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We stayed a week here in August and had a great time. We stayed in the Gumbo Limbo building with a Bay view. I read some bad reviews and was concerned, but this is a great island hotel. Our room was rennovated, and showed slight wear in the bathroom but other that that the accomodations were great for our family fo 4.

The pool was clean and large, the pool bar staff was top notch, remembering our name from one day to the next.

There was a family of Manatees living in the bay that we saw every day, first time in all my vacations in Florida I actually saw a Manatee.

Some reviews talked about bugs in the room and we had none. There were the no-see-ums at night on the beach that were eating us alive!!! but there is no way the resort can control this. We saw a sunset from the Mucky Duck one evening and got bit up there too. I recommend strong bug spray!

The hotel staff was friendly and prompt. Our batteries in our remote were out and by the time I left the front desk to have them call someone, the maintenance guy was at my door before I was even back to the room.

I would highly recommend this hotel. It is not a "chain" motel by any means, but it is a great island resort with large rooms and great views (I recommend booking a Bayside room).

The breakfast in the morning was really good, lots of fresh fruit and pastries. My husband ordered eggs one morning and he was very pleased also.

We are already planning a trip back to visit

3 Thank lisabwi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Sedona
Reviewed September 1, 2007

We stayed just one night but would not do it again. Room was is terrible shape--spots all over the carpet, bathroom was very outdated, grout had mold. Security door locks did not work on the outside door or on the screen door. We were not told that the restaurant was closed. Hotel staff was indifferent. We booked a gulf view room--got a bay view room.There were signs up about "critters" that may come in the room. I can see why. The door did not fit properly. You could see light around the door frame. It looked like someone had broken into the room previously. The door frame was broken. The place is definately in need of a makeover. It is a great location. Too bad this property has deteriorated.

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank SedonaFlyer
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Just came back from Tween Waters, after a 5 night stay. When we booked the trip, they should of let us know that the Crow's Nest Lounge would be closed for renovations, that there are no crab races till October and that all services would be unavailable after 3:00 p.m. on the 20th, because the staff would be going bowling. At night, there is nothing to do at the hotel except go to the Crow's Nest Lounge for snacks, drinks and some type of entertainment, but It was not open. This place is just for relaxing! No activities, contests, games etc. The breakfast was good. We did not eat at the Old Captiva Inn, too pricey. There are a few restaurants on Captiva, nothing to brag about. You would have to travel to Sanibel to get something decent. Our room was by the pool, in a newer building. I have to say it was decent, and clean, no bugs. If you have children, there really is nothing for them to do there. Water sport rentals, mopeds, boats, etc are a fortune! Also beach chairs and umbrellas are not included, $20.00 a day. I should of went to Sanibel Island, Next time I think I will try the Sun Dial Beach Resort, on our way home we checked it out, and it looked really nice, and caters to children with a ton of activities. If you want a no frills vacation, Tween Waters Inn would be good for you.
P.S.
When I checked out I very nicely mentioned some of my peeves, and my son said that when I walked out the door they were making faces at me!

2 Thank donnade
Maryland
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Stayed at the Tween Waters Inn for two days for a Wedding in August. We stayed in a room on the second floor overlooking the pool. Our rate was around 180/night----the hotel was worth maybe 80/night and that is pushing it. There was no No room service which was a huge dissapointment--internet service was crappy. There were holes in the blinds and in our blankets on the bed. The bathtub was rusted and you could contantly hear when people were opening their balcony doors. Overall I would NOT have paid to stay here, We did only so because it was mandatory---On our drive back home I stayed at a Comfort Suites and paid less money and was treating extremely well.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foodie02
Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed August 18, 2007

Stayed for two days. Rooms are terrible and they need to be totally refurbished. Tile in bathroom was broken and layed on the floor. Our door had a big gap in it that allowed daylight and bugs to come through. Our door locked but the secondary lock was broken. You could hear everyone coming and going outside all night long.

The pool area is nice but I doubt if they clean the pool daily. There was a lot of dirt in the pool.

We did get our exercise in though, we were on the third floor and the elevator was so slow, we walked up the stairs all the time.

Many weekend warriors on a drinking binge.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — room
1 Thank rhhenneCrownPoint_IN
boca raton, florida
Reviewed July 26, 2007

My friend recommended this inn for myself, husband and 2 kids. It was nice. If you are looking for luxury, this is not it. We stayed in a one bedroom suite, which was clean but not updated. The balcony was nice and big and the view of the bay was terrific. I can't say enough good things about the complimentary breakfast. It was the best I ever had. The staff were very nice too. We had to leave a day early because our baby became sick and they didn't penalize us at all. All in all it was a positive experience and we would go back.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We stayed in a 1 bedroom room for 3 nights at a rate of $170.00 per night. ($566.00 total for our 3 day stay.) Within the 1st hour in our room, while sitting on the sofa, we began noticing fleas jumping on and off of our arms and clothing. While sitting on the balcony, we noticed just about every guest walking about the grounds had at least 1 dog. There were a lot of pets here during our stay. During the night, we were eaten up. We have flea bites all over our bodies and we're itching like crazy by the next day. When we reported it to the front desk, all the rep did was make note of it and said that in his 2 month employment there, this was the 1st time he's ever heard of a flea problem. It's also worth mentioning that they have extremely stiff and punative penalties for cancellations and early check outs.

When I returned home from vacation and went back to work itching like mad (for over a week) everyone was astounded that such a reputable "high-end" hotel would a)have such a problem and b)not care what their guests had to endure as a result of the condition of their facility. The more I thought about it, and the longer we itched, the madder I got.

As a courtesy, I emailed the hotel management with an explanation asking them to contact me at their convenience. Several days went by with no reply or phone call. I called them today, and their response to my experience was that I had a no-pet room, and they would be happy to give me a discount on my next stay. Basically, in translation, they called me a liar by saying I had a pet-free room, implying that the room must not have had fleas, but they were willing to passify me with 10% off if I'm stupid enough to pay that kind of money again for a "flea bag motel". That is insulting, and in no way is it customer service, or even a semblence of concern.

• Liked — It's location, marina and access to the Gulf
  • Disliked — Terrible flea problem and no customer service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!